The AM DX thread

This topic contains 145 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  nosignalallnoise 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 146 total)
  • Author

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am wondering, is CFFR, “660 News” having transmitter problems? The last few times that I have tried to listen to 660 kHz, the frequency is dominated by KTNN, Window Rock, AZ. When KTNN fades out, there is just a weak mix of stations. Normally, 660 tends to be dominated by CFFR.

W7PAT
    Participant

I heard CFFR a little while ago (Tuesday Evening). Conditions are excellent tonight. I heard KOGO San Diego for the first time in years. Also KFI coming in with 7-8 bars on the radio which is unusual. Maybe the snow is helping (ha ha).

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I heard CFFR a bit earlier this evening, so I think that the propagation has just been favoring stations to the south for the last few days.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

50,000 watt 1020 KCKN off the air. This from All Access:

RADIO VISION CRISTIANA SUBSIDIARY CORP. has applied for a Silent STA for KCKN-A/ROSWELL, NM while it awaits installation of a new transmitter.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I recently had a chance to listen to the radio in Tavernier, FL. Tavernier is located on the southern tip of Key Largo. Miami AM transmitters are about 50-60 miles NNE. WFFG Marathon is 43 miles away. Key West AM stations are 83 miles away.

The geography of the Florida Keys makes for some interesting listening. Groundwave signal propagation over salt water really is as amazing as the radio-locator predictions suggest. Even expanded band stations can easily be heard 100 miles from the transmitter. Here is a video that somebody else made a few years ago of an AM bandscan from Key West: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjUWscUYvQE My experiences were similar.

The other aspect about radio listening that is very interesting in the Keys is the Cuban radio jamming. The preferred technique that the Cuban government uses to prevent foreign broadcasts from being heard by their citizens is simply to broadcast, using multiple medium and high powered transmitters, on the same frequencies as the stations that they are trying to jam. The video linked above very graphically demonstrates (using maps) the thoroughness of some of the jamming efforts. The frequencies that the Cuban government is targeting most heavily are 670 kHz (WWFE Miami), 710 kHz (WAQI Miami), 1180 kHz (Radio Marti), and 1550 kHz (WRHC Coral Gables).

In Tavernier, WWFE 670 is pretty strong (predicted signal strength is about 11 mV/m, but nonetheless, I could hear a substantial amount of co-channel interference from the Cuban transmitters. 11 mV/m is about the signal strength that KEX or KUFO put into downtown Hillsboro. On 1180, I could not tell whether Radio Marti was on the air or not; I just heard the Cuban transmitters.

Here is a document (dated 2009) with technical information on Cuban AM stations: http://www.dxing.info/lists/Cuba_AM_2009.pdf The listings show that Cuban stations range in transmitter power between 1 kW and 200 kW. A number of Cuban AM facilities are diplexed or even triplexed.

I also caught two jammers of unknown origin. On 1040 kHz groundwave, I heard a weak signal from a swinging carrier jammer (sometimes called a wobbler) under WURN Boynton Beach. The wobbler is a steady amplitude carrier that is frequency modulated by a damped sine wave. On 1510 kHz skywave, I heard a weak narrow-FM signal playing under WLAC. This was the same weird signal that I heard in Central America in the spring of 2009, which I had assumed to be a malfunctioning transmitter.

The nighttime AM dial was really trashed, with the notable exception of WFFG. Many clear channel frequencies (including 750 kHz, used by WSB Atlanta) sounded like graveyard channels. I found that the Cuban station list only showed a single 10 kW transmitter on this supposedly-clear frequency, although I thought that I heard more. (What’s a few kilowatts of RF among friends?)

boisebill
    Participant

KCKN old beater transmitter is WAY past its life time.

shipwreck
    Participant

Alfredo, did you pick up any stations in Jamaica, Haiti and other islands?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I heard Caribbean Beacon on 1610. The reception was very good, as the low powered TIS stations become a non-issue with Caribbean Beacon’s 200 kW transmitter.

It is possible that some of the stations that I heard above 1500, with the exception of 1550 and 1620, were from Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands. I very strongly suspect that many other Caribbean island countries, chiefly Jamaica and Haiti, abandoned the AM band altogether years ago. The Dominican Republic has some stations, but if I heard them, I likely confused them with Cuban stations.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Addendum: I should have been listening for a shrill whine on 760 kHz. HICO from the Dominican Republic is off by 2.75 kHz per this recording:

Alfredo_T
    Participant

With KUIK off the air, here is some recent groundwave reception (in the 1:00 PM hour).

1340 KLOO Corvallis — Moderately good reception IF KKPZ is nulled out
    1350 — Nothing heard
    1360 KKMO Tacoma — Just above the noise floor
    1370 KAST — Noisy but intelligible

RadioBill
    Participant

Early Saturday morning (5-6am PDT) I was driving from Banff National Park to Calgary Alberta, scanning the AM dial. I tuned in a strong signal on 1110 thinking it might be KFAB in Omaha. Instead I was surprised to discover it was KBND in Bend. Apparently they were running daytime power and ND antenna pattern well before sunrise.

W7PAT
    Participant

RadioBill: Was there any sign of 1190 KEX?

washnotore
    Participant

The Wash St Dept of Transportation. Is currently broadcasting one it’s Highway Advisory Radio Stations (HARS). In Vancouver on AM 1580 Khz. Not sure what the call sign is. In the area of Highway 500 and NE 54th Ave. WSDOT is planing to remove two traffic signals in this area. As part of traffic safety project.

RadioBill
    Participant

I did tune by 1190 looking for KEX but if it was there it was not listenable. Same thing with 1000 KOMO. Another reason why hearing KBND’s strong signal was such a surprise.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

For those who enjoy AM DX, space weather reports are essential. Such as:
    https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/reports/3-day-forecast
    https://www.spaceweatherapp.com/
    There are others.
    Third rock from the Sun did get a G2 smack a few days ago:
    https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/g2-moderate-geomagnetic-storm-watch-issued-11-sep
    Happy Hunting!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.