The AM DX thread

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    W7PAT
    Participant

I’ve also heard KEX in LA, Las Vegas, and Hawaii. In Las Vegas I’ve also logged KPOJ (then KINK-AM) and KXTG (then KXL). Looking at the nighttime coverage maps, I shouldn’t have been able to hear them either.

jr_tech
    Participant

As noted on the website:

“The nighttime map series shows expected skywave coverage patterns for Unlimited and Nighttime operations. Nighttime signal patterns represent the standard SS+6 (sunset plus 6 hours, or approximately midnight), 50% signal probability at 0.25 millivolts per meter (48 dBu). Note also that nighttime reception of signals out beyond the depicted pattern is very possible, and in fact likely for the DXer. The maps represent a signal strength between distant and fringe, a level generally easily received at night on most portable radios. I have chosen this signal level to give a good representation of what should be fairly easily received by most DXers on an average evening. The nighttime signal probability of 50% means that the signal will be received at this level approximately 50% of the time at that location for the sunset+6 hour time. Also included in the nighttime map series is a web-based HTML table listing all nighttime stations in the US and Canada. It has clickable links which will take you directly to the FCC pages for that station (US stations only).”

Your milage may (and most likely will) vary.

Nice little lobe pointed in the general direction of SLC… I have heard KEX from Ogden, but that was before the FCC reduced the protected area of the 50kW “clear channel” stations (1980?)…I have no idea if the night pattern for KEX was changed at the time.

http://www.nf8m.com/pattern_maps/US-CA_nighttime/N-map_1190KHz.html

semoochie
    Participant

KINK(AM) would have been the same signal as the old KGW, near Delta Park, rather than the present Clackamas location. In perusing the map, it looks like the Anaheim station would have as much chance of making it to Salt Lake City as KEX, possibly more but could certainly be nulled out on a portable radio.

W7PAT
    Participant

Semoochie,
    Yep, the old 5kW signal from the Delta Park towers. I haven’t been back to Vegas since that time.

On KEX in SLC, the times I was there KEX was alone on the frequency. The last time I was there was 3 years ago.

Propagation is a funny thing. When I was in Salado, TX in Aug of 2015, you could not hear the Dallas station on 1190 but could hear KQQZ out of Desoto, MO with a strong signal for 22 watts.

Andy Brown
    Participant

In a null, distant stations with good skywave propagation (at any given moment) can easily overcome a local station whose pattern protects someone in that direction.

jr_tech
    Participant

“Propagation is a funny thing. When I was in Salado, TX in Aug of 2015, you could not hear the Dallas station on 1190 but could hear KQQZ out of Desoto, MO with a strong signal for 22 watts.”

I have observed one odd characteristic property of relay failure… while mostly rated for 100k plus operations, they seem to fail at an astonishing high rate when used to switch AM transmitters into very low nighttime powers.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Living on the Oregon Coast with my Drake R8 and 1500′ Eastern Beverage, I have heard flea power stations coast to coast, including a bunch of 9-10 watt TIS stations on clear frequencies. So propagation can be pretty wild.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

In the 1990s, before the expanded band started filling up, I remember being able to DX TIS stations there, once in a blue moon. What is more remarkable was that I was able to do this from a college dorm and from an apartment building. The electromagnetic interference levels were that low just 20 years ago.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Living out here on the Northern Oregon Coast, the noise level has increased a lot in the past few years. I recently started back on DXing FM, as at least the noise is not an issue on FM.

jr_tech
    Participant

From the coast with the Drake and Beverage can you get many longwave stations from across the ocean?

semoochie
    Participant

Are there MANY longwave stations still in existence?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

According to Wikipedia, there are 21 stations still broadcasting on longwave. Many have gone off the air (including Radio Rossii 279), and a few are scheduled to shut down at the end of this year.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Addendum:

Here is a story about the signoff of all Radio Rossii broadcasts on January 9, 2014: http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-25683656

Their 279 kHz transmitter in Yekaterinburg was heard by several members of this board.

jr_tech
    Participant

Not longwave, but tonight I am detecting a carrier on 558 kHz which is likely Japan. In the past 774 kHz was usually stronger but it is early.

W7PAT
    Participant

I listened to several Portland stations last evening on the Newport remote receiver http://www.smeter.net/newport/control.php
    It was interesting to note that on 620 there were two stations, KPOJ dominating, the other not id’ed. On 750 there were 3 stations, KXL the loudest with CK750 from Saskatchewan coming in fairly good at times, and another talk station not id’ed. On 860, the San Francisco station dominated heard KPAM once or twice. On 910 ESPN Deport. from SFO dominated, hearing KMTT once or twice. 970 was KUFO with a faint station in the background. Too much noise on 1080 to hear anything. On 1190 KEX dominated but CFSL from Weyburn, Sask. was almost equal at times.
    At that point someone else took control of the receiver.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.