The AM DX thread

This topic contains 147 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Alfredo_T 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 148 total)
  • Author

Chico
    Participant

I live 7 miles almost perfectly due south from 1520 KKXA and that 50K signal is SO directional at night that often I only hear KGDD. At the very best, the two mix each other out. But it was a late-comer, and the only way Mr. Skotdal could squeeze it in there was to send most of the signal into the Gulf of Alaska. He does cover his county quite well, so there’s that, but it definitely isn’t a metro Seattle signal. (His county is Snohomish, the next one north from King, the one with all the population.)

I have to get about 3 miles to the tower from due south to get a clear night signal. THAT is a serious null.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  Chico.

Dxer1969
    Participant

That is a very serious null. But in 1978. I actually drove to KYXI. Why? Cuz I could barely hear them at the 212/224 split by Carver. Wanted to let them know since I had friends there. But, as it turned out. They were testing that night. And that was their null. Didn’t know that then though. What was it? 3, Maybe 4 miles. Thought it was serious shit at the time.

semoochie
    Participant

When KYX! was running 10KW at night, I used to hear KOMA by itself in Gresham. Four miles seems fairly far away for a hard null on a 10KW station near the top of the dial.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Yeah, I now. Me? A 20 year old, young, dumb, and full of cum. Listening to all news? But that night I did. And was damned surprised the station was so weak. So alerted them. Lived near there. They knew my ass. So all was OK. Station was testing. After 200AM. Me? I got back from a wild and sleazy time with a completely wild woman. She fried my skull earlier. Yeah! I did good on both accounts! Yeah!

Andy Brown
    Participant

Here’s a more analytical look:

http://www.nf8m.com/pattern_maps/US-CA_nighttime/N-map_1520KHz.html

http://www.nf8m.com/pattern_maps/US-CA_daytime/D-map_1520KHz.html

http://www.nf8m.com/patternmaps.html (about the maps)

http://www.nf8m.com/patternmaps_day.html

http://www.nf8m.com/patternmaps_night.html

If nothing else, the first link shows how KXXA and KYXI are producing skywave night coverage that is well over 50% shared. Close in, the nulls work as they protect each other’s and KOKC’s ground wave pattern.

semoochie
    Participant

Did you really say “KYXI”, Andy? I feel much better now. 🙂

Dxer1969
    Participant

Yes! In the summer of 1976 they changed to all news from A/C. Liked them better then. But was still, kind of a watch dog. Liked KGON/KYXI. Could visit there all the time. In this case, worried about 1520. So there you go. One field trip as a 16 year old. Earned lots of loyalty. Was let in for years afterward. Until 2001. Things changed after that.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The AM band propagation has been really terrible lately. I was listening to KGO yesterday, and their signal was not the behemoth that it usually is. Tonight, I gave up on listening to KOMO, in frustration.

For fun, I am listening to 1450, with the loop directed E-W. From my location in Hillsboro, KBPS is barely dominant most of the time. For a short time, I heard another station dominating the frequency; this might have been KLBM La Grande, although I did not hear an ID to confirm this.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

KZLS Eugene (All Comedy 1450) briefly popped in. This was somewhat of a surprise, as I have the loop directed E-W.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I briefly heard a Spanish station pop in on 1450. This could be KTRP, Notus, ID.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I remember back in the 70’s when it was KYXI, I drove around the streets around the site and I was probably was 1/2 mile from the blinking towers one night I drove slow looking for a null SE of the site and I found a sharp null. I would move the car a foot in each direction and lose the null. In the center of the null, KOMA was under KYXI and I could easily see the tower lights. Their null was very tight in those days.

Dxer1969
    Participant

@mwdxer1. You are absolutely right. I never went the extent that you did though. But yes, the station had a very serious SE null. Could not receive them well in Beavercreek either. KGA 1510 & KFBK 1530 dominated them out there.

Kudos, dude. Respect the effort you took. Glad you posted your story!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

780 KKOH unexpectedly dropped carrier a few minutes ago and has not come back. 780 kHz is quite the disaster area! There is splatter from KPDQ, as well as a loud hiss (probably IBOC sidebands from 790) that I cannot completely null out.

semoochie
    Participant

There shouldn’t be any splatter from KPDQ on 780. The NRSC filter should knock it out. Andy?

W7PAT
    Participant

“I live 7 miles almost perfectly due south from 1520 KKXA and that 50K signal is SO directional at night that often I only hear KGDD. At the very best, the two mix each other out.”

The same thing happens down here in the Portland area. Often times KKXA wipes out KGDD. The FCC should have never allowed KKXA on that frequency. 1500 opened up a long time ago when the station in Duncan, BC shut down, it would have been a much better move to have KKXA placed on 1500.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 148 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.