The AM DX thread

This topic contains 147 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Alfredo_T 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 148 total)
  • Author

Dxer1969
    Participant

Forgot about that. Yes, they were. At least in the fall of 81. Kate Taylor was on. They played Superfreak! Working in a Coalmine by Devo! Start Me Up. And the”new” Police single Every thing she does is magic. Very upbeat and cutting edge for a small town 1230 station. Hell, I remember they had similar jingle package to KGW’s. KHSN used the faster paced jingles more than KGW did.

Scott Young
    Participant

I noticed 1230 was off the air last night too, but I didn’t listen long enough to identify anything. I find the graveyard channels can be interesting from 6am until propagation is lost to daylight. More stations have local programming in the morning and it makes stations easier to identify more often than top of the hour. I caught KCVL in Colville, WA on 1240 one morning last week. First time for that one. One morning on 1400 I heard the TOH IDs for KBCH in Lincoln City and KJDY in John Day at the same time. They were virtually by themselves on the frequency just in time for the ID before disappearing in the mess. Murphy’s Law of DXing says it’s usually the other way around.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I had the most fun with AM DXing while growing up in the late 1980s and early 1990s. In that era, it was interesting to listen because there were many stations that were experimenting with a variety of niche formats. Nonetheless, even in that era, one had to dodge the satellite delivered talk shows to hear the interesting stuff. When I lived in Pennsylvania, circa 1989, I recall spinning the dial and hearing The Jim Bohannon Show playing on 30 different frequencies!

The things that make the DX less fun today, in my opinion, are that:

• Giving more stations authority to broadcast at night has turned many spots on the dial into disaster areas
    • IBOC has really trashed up the band
    • A number of stations simply run automated re-broadcasts of daytime talk shows, rather than having nighttime personalities who program specifically for a night shift audience (in the past, such programming might have featured music, news, interesting tidbits, and a small number of listener phone calls)

There are a few out-of-market stations that I do tune in occasionally for the programming. They are 540 CBK, 780 KKOH, 1000 KOMO, and 1010 CBR. 810 KGO also used to be on that list, until they fired most of their hosts.

Dxer1969
    Participant

@ Scott Young. Awesome! KBCH and KJDY! Never picked them up before, except locally, of course. Both are decent stations,but oh so weak. Good catch though! You must have excellent equipment. Thanx for sharing!

Dxer1969
    Participant

@ Alfredo. I liked DXing from 69 to 86 mostly. Still do it though. Just don’t keep logs anymore. Not much to post these days. What you wrote is correct. Liked it when stations signed off at night. Or at midnight. Or late Sat or Sun night! Received faraway stations back then. If only for a short time.

Jim Bohannon. Yuck! That must have sucked. Not that I hate the guy. Thought he was on the boring side. Never could figure out why so many stations carried him. I sure wouldn’t. Glad ya had fun in the 90’s. It wasn’t bad then. The 2000’s? It mostly sucked ass for me.

Scott Young
    Participant

@dxer1969. All I use is a little Tecsun PL310 barefoot. KBCH and KJDY simultaneously was just a lucky catch.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Cool! The 1400 frequency is very hard to DX. Surprised you didn’t receive KEDO in Longview. Whenever I would check out 1400, They would be the dominant station.
    They used to be oldies. Now, just another talker.Is KBCH still EZ listening? And KJDY still country?

semoochie
    Participant

It’s interesting how that worked out. KBCH used to be on 1400 but moved to 1380 to increase power to 1KW, then moved back to 1400, picked up a nighttime signal and got to keep their 1KW.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Yep. They have new equipment and all. Studio burned down. Damn! They do go further west and north. Never figured you would catch them here though.Like them though. Think they are like AM 1550.

shipwreck
    Participant

Sometimes Jim Bohannon was interesting, because he was a DXer too, and once a year or two would have a special broadcast with mostly shortwave personalities onall night, some good tapes of radio broadcasts and events. Up all night.

W7PAT
    Participant

Dx’ers check out this link for area coverage patterns:
    http://www.nf8m.com/patternmaps.html

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Thanks for the nf8m link! It is great to be able to have these maps with up-to-date data. (A forum member once posted scans of similar maps from a book that he owned, but his book was from the 1970s.)

Dxer1969
    Participant

@w7pat. That information is like a dream come true!! The nighttime AM info? Priceless! Thank you so much for posting that! Made my day!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Looking at the 1550 map, I am surprised that nighttime reception of KKOV can be so dicey in Hillsboro. They are projecting a pretty strong lobe this way.

Scott Young
    Participant

I’m sure KKOV does put a pretty good signal into Hillsboro, but San Francisco’s night pattern is aimed right at us. For more insanity, look at the night map for 1520!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 148 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.