The AM DX thread

This topic contains 147 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Alfredo_T 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 148 total)
  • Author

Dxer1969
    Participant

DX tidbit for today. Gresham, Oregon. Time 1630. Was listening to KVI 570. But I heard music in the background! Strange, I thought. Music? So, I listened. Commercials came on. Commercials were from Alturas California businesses. Wow! Listened for awhile longer. They had the same music service as KKOV 1550! And then they were just gone. Like a sign off without officially doing so. After that it was all KVI.

semoochie
    Participant

I used to get them just before sunset.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Some fun DX opportunities have been had this week by KDZR being off the air. The two strongest signals appear to be KDIA Vallejo, CA and KBJA Sandy, UT. At times, it seems that a third station pops in, KZLS Enid, OK. Sorted by distance, all of the North American stations on 1640, except for the one known to be off the air, are:

• KDIA Vallejo, CA
    • KBJA Sandy, UT
    • KZLS Enid, OK
    • WSJP Sussex, WI
    • WTNI Biloxi, MS

Dxer1969
    Participant

Thanks, Alfredo. KDIA is the stronger religious talker.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

1700 is really hopping tonight. I think that the strong ESPN Sports radio station, on which I have not heard IDs is XEPE, which is located just south of the Mexican border.

When I try to null out XEPE, the frequency is a mess. For a little while, I was hearing country music, and I am not sure if this was a commercial or if it was a station other than the two sports stations that I’ve been hearing on this frequency.

Dxer1969
    Participant

@Alfredo. The 530 and 1700 frequencies were always difficult for me to catch. Thanks for the postings!

Dxer1969
    Participant

The “W” stations? Which one is considered the powerhouse champ? My guesses are: 720 WGN Chicago. WCCO 830 St. Paul. WSB Atlanta?

Dxer1969
    Participant

And finally, The “C” stations. For me, It is 1010 CBR in Calgary. They always boom in! Can receive plenty of C stations, But CBR 1010 is the champ!!

Dxer1969
    Participant

The K station champ IMHO are in this order: 1160 KSL. # 2. 640 KFI. And # 3. KNX 1070.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

530 is usually pretty challenging. A few days ago, I tried 530 (the same night that I was listening to 1700), and I mostly heard noise. There have been a few nights where I have heard broadcast stations (most likely Canadian), but haven’t heard IDs.

When I lived in Western NY in the mid 1990s, I recall that 530 CIAO had excellent groundwave coverage, despite only broadcasting 1000 Watts. The signal could be received out to Binghamton, NY, and it was AM Stereo.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Doesn’t the PDX airport use 530? Kind of a continuous weather loop? Can’t it now though. Too much Xmas things on. Grin!

paulwalker
    Participant

DX is fun, always was fun. But not terribly interesting in the 2010’s, for whatever reason. I love the topic, but it really is becoming less a topic IMO, as these catches are harder and harder to find. I would be certainly interested in unusual catches, but frankly, they are not easily captured these days, so the topic is somewhat dying. So what do us former DX’ers do? Well, perhaps, understand how radio is changing and trend our topics to today’s radio, what is left of it. 🙂

Dxer1969
    Participant

True enough, Paul. Nowadays, it is pretty hard to DX. The Alturas 570 station was a good one, and I finally received WCCO 830, but other then that, nothing new.

Today’s radio? Certainly more stations to listen to. So the choice is: Listen to those that continue to employ local talent, but put up with large commercial blocks. Listen to out of town syndicated talent and listen to fewer ads. Or the commercial free automated jukeboxes.
    2015? Certainly not the as when we grew up. Yes, we can listen to a lifetime of music, which to me is fine. The locals that I do listen to are: 860 KPAM. 101.1 KXL. 92.3 KGON, usually Iris Harrison. 106.7 The Eagle, afternoons, Scott Tom.

Dxer1969
    Participant

AM 1230 is off the air. A rare occurrence! So, I was expecting a mess there, but in Vancouver, I picked a all sports station. Call letters were KHSN. Station is located in Coos Bay! Never once picked up a station in Coos Bay! And a 1230? Go figure!

semoochie
    Participant

KHSN used to be a Top 40, pronounced “kissin'”.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 148 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.