The AM DX thread

This topic contains 147 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Alfredo_T 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 148 total)
  • Author

Scott Young
    Participant

CFCN 1060 used to mix with the now dark KPAY in Chico. Calgary is pretty much all alone now, although once in a while I hear sports/talk from Phoenix under them.

MarkAndrews
    Participant

That Phoenix catch is a good one… KDUS, Tempe is 5kw non-directional day, and only 500w 3-towers directional East-West at night…

vrooms
    Participant

WCCO 830 Minneapolis heard at 10:53 PM this evening with call letter ID. PSA about lead paint. Fair signal on top of channel. Receiver JRC NRD 545 antenna 300′ bog (beverage on ground)

semoochie
    Participant

WCCO used to be a regular before they broke up the clears.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am now hearing WCCO 830 with a top-of the hour ABC News break. The signal is pretty good. I had to turn my loop to null out KNCO (Grass Valley, CA). I am surprised that the directional 5 kW of KNCO puts such a strong signal in this area!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I cheated and looked at the WCCO Web page. WCCO is CBS. I definitely did hear a WCCO ID, but I have managed to confuse myself regarding the top-of the hour news that I heard. What I can say is that KNCO is much stronger, in general–even when I try to null it out. WCCO pops up out of the background every now and then. Perhaps, it is time for bed.

EDIT ADD: I am occasionally hearing a whine that I have confirmed to be an 828 kHz carrier.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  Alfredo_T.

boisebill
    Participant

WCCO is still the norm in Boise.
    KNCO is way under them most of the time.

Scott Young
    Participant

I remember the days when WCCO was a pest in the Portland area. It took me a long time to snag KIKI in Honolulu. Had the same problem with WSM while trying to hear KORL on 650. Of course at the time it never dawned on me (pardon the pun) to listen after the sun had risen in the midwest. 🙂

Dxer1969
    Participant

Oh boy! Do I have a DX story to tell! Back in 2001, 5th day of my honeymoon, I had to sit out in my rental car for a spell. Where was I? Princeton. Kauii! The Garden island. So what do I do? DX AM of course. What did I receive from the mainland? 640 and 1070 from LA. No big surprise. 680 from San Fran. Also, no big surprise. In fact, as far as I know, those 3 stations never did sign off the air. But then, there was 1160 KSL in SLX too. Again, no surprise. But lastly, there was KEX 1190. Did not come in good, but I did get the ID. So there it was, my first DXing off the mainland.

semoochie
    Participant

This puts new meaning into the phrase, “The honeymoon is over.”! 🙂

Dxer1969
    Participant

Good one! Well, a dude has to do what he’s got to do, ya know. But I will tell you this fellow DXer. The W stations that I did catch out in Beavercreek, Oregon were: 720 WGN before 1975. 870 WWL 1973. 1200 WOAI 1975 between 200am and 300am Sunday morning. KEX signed off. Never did get WCCO or WSM. I tried to get WSM and WLS,but got nothing. Even on Monday mornings after midnight. Even KGO went off the air back then. Come to think of it, there was nothing to pick-up on 810. Now, there probably would be. Lots of K’s and lots of C”s. But that was it out of the W’s.

Borderblaster
    Participant

1200 WOAI is still around for any dxer not using some two-bit radio

shit…the cat’s out-of-the-bag, now the agents of localism will plug up that one

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  Borderblaster. Reason: loose lips sink ships

Alfredo_T
    Participant

A few years ago, KFXX signed off for a few hours for antenna system work. I heard KRLD Dallas on 1080.

I will give WOAI a try, although I usually receive CJRJ on that frequency. I am in Hillsboro, so I run into the problem that if I try to null out CJRJ, I get KEX sideband splash at full force.

W7PAT
    Participant

When I was in Hawaii about 15 years ago, I had no problem receiving KXL (now KXTG), KEX and KPNW Eugene. Also, KIRO Seattle and (then) CFUN Vancouver, BC.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Think Tonopah Nevada. A stop out in the middle of Nevada without an AM station. And I’ll you, 1000 KOMO came in like local station! CFUN 1410 did too! This was a DXer’s paradise. Strangely, 780 did not. Canada was all over the dial. 730, 960_ 1010_1060 and 1130. Just booming out there! 770 KKOB was strong. 850 was. And yes, WCCO 830 was. And 1120 KPNW, while not exactly strong, was still out there. Could get 710 KIRO too. But another station would knock them out though. Never did get the ID on it. In Portland,Only KEX could heard. I tried the usuals. 620, a mess. 750, wasn’t,t them. 860 was Modesto. 970 was also a CA station. 1080_ overtaken by KNX 1070 and XPRS Tijuana! And 1520? Oklahoma City owned it! W7PAT glad you found nice catches. Hope you and your family had a great time in the islands!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 148 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.