The AM DX thread

Viewing 13 posts - 151 through 163 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Broadcasting_Yearbook_Summary_of_Editions_Page.htm

Looking at the 1990 Broadcasting Yearbook, the possibilities, however remote are:

WJJD Chicago IL, 50kw Day, 5kw night, MOR (Adult Contemporary) format. Directional NWN null day, deeper western null night.

WACY Fenton MI, 1kw, Country format, but a real long-shot. Directional with western null day and night.

KFHM San Antonio TX, 10kw day, 1kw night, “Spanish” format. Night directional null towards KSL.

Donelson TN, and Hawesville KY are also remote possibilities, and the rest are in east coast states.

paulwalker
    Participant

Happy New Year PDX’ers. My contribution in this new year is a fascinating video from 1977 of a major DJ from WLS Chicago. Enjoy.

Shirley Knott
    Participant

That was fabulous Paul. What an interesting look inside of radio 42 years ago. Wow.

I remember listening to the ‘John Landecker Radio Leviathan’ on WILS in Lansing, Michigan. He did the overnight show while he was at Michigan State.

What I didn’t know was that it was his first DJ gig. He sounded way better than the usual overnight guy back then.

That’s probably because Records really is his middle name.

paulwalker
    Participant

Thanks, Shirley. My family traveled almost every year to the midwest to see relatives, and WLS was my favorite radio station in the 70’s. Unmatched IMO. WCFL had a good run but in the end it was all WLS. The other interesting thing (atleast to me) is that Landecker sounded like a normal human here unlike the giant reverb-powered processing that ‘LS used at the time. Also note WLS was a union station so the jocks were directing the board ops.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Paul, here are a couple of Chicago airchecks from 1975.

John Landecker WLS
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/cxwzngwiw4t/JohnLandeckerWLS_1975.mp3/file

Larry Lujack WCFL
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/hewzv9ooo215wqn/LarryLujackWCFL_5_75.mp3/file

Enjoy!

paulwalker
    Participant

Thanks, Steve, but I am unable to download anything from these links.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Paul, try clicking the Green download button with the name of each MP3. MediaFire being free is very busy with ads. If you still have trouble I am happy to email them to you.

paulwalker
    Participant

Nope, that just brings up an ad for women’s swimsuits, which isn’t wrong, but I have no need for a woman’s swimsuit. 🙂

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I was able to get them, but it is a minefield of links.

Broadway
    Participant

Beware of mediafire…never will go there again…

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Years ago, I recall reading a story on rec.radio.broadcasting on how bureaucratic it was to work at WCFL. No doubt, WLS was the same given what is shown in the announcer profile video linked above.

What I recall reading in the WCFL account was that creating an announcement or promo required at least four people, per the contract that the station had with the unions. These people were: the voice talent, a recording engineer, a tape editor, and a secretary to type the label that was affixed on the cart before it was placed in the studio.

The WLS video shocked me a bit in the number of cigarettes shown in this announcer’s ashtray and in the high volume levels playing in his headphones. It is sad that these were the self-imposed occupational hazards of working in a radio studio during the not-so-distant past.

semoochie
    Participant

You mean to say that it didn’t require an intern to bring the cart from the secretary’s desk to the studio? 🙂

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The intern might have been too insignificant to waste keyboard typing strokes, but I’m sure that (s)he was there to do the gruntwork. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 151 through 163 (of 163 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.