The AM DX thread

Viewing 14 posts - 136 through 149 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    lastday
    Participant

Driving around Eugene today around 6PM, KFI 640 and KSL 1160 were both coming in very well, occasionally sounding like locals.

paulwalker
    Participant

Yes, late November and December is primetime for DXing. especially between about 4:30 and 5:30 PM in most PNW locations…something to do with the earlier sunset and its variability over geographic locations…someone can probably explain it better.

But your car radio brings these better than most in-home radios, except maybe for C.Crane radios.

lastday
    Participant

Stuck in traffic in front of Matt Knight Arena: KSL in HD.

KSL AM HD in Eugene

Alfredo_T
    Participant

A few weeks ago, I was in Lahaina, HI. Mediumwave band propagation was quite interesting there.

First of all, the strongest signals appeared to be coming from Honolulu, nearly 90 miles away. The strong groundwave propagation can easily be explained in that the path from Honolulu to my location was almost entirely via the ocean.

KNUI 550 should have been the strongest signal, with a predicted field strength of about 12 mV/m. However, it was surprisingly difficult to receive. Apparently, the tall peaks of the West Maui Forest Reserve are very effective RF absorbers at mediumwave frequencies. In fact, with a portable radio, I noted that the signal appeared to come from either NNW or SSE (possibly re-radiating from Moloka’i), rather than due east.

The other Maui AM stations broadcast from shared towers near Maalea Bay, and they were much easier to receive.

I did not have much luck with skywave reception on a portable radio. I was able to hear KIPA 1060 from Hilo during the morning hours. However, relatively strong signals from the Honolulu and Maalea Bay transmitters made it impossible to hear heterodynes from Asian stations. North American stations were either too weak for me to receive, or I was not listening at the right times.

On a totally different geographic note, we have had some days during which the propagation in the Portland area has been surprisingly good. There was one day, last weekend, if memory serves me correctly, that I was hearing KOMO, almost as if it were a local, during the middle of the afternoon.

Broadway
    Participant

Experienced same scenario…KOMO 1000AM and Seattle’s 1090 and 770AM came in like a local at 11:30am last Wed morning in my car radio driving around Salem.

semoochie
    Participant

It seems to me that all those Hawaiian stations are non-directional.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

They are, indeed, all non-directional. It is also common to see duplexing and triplexing of stations into the towers. Another unusual thing in Maui was that there was a 5 kW station on 1240.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

…But did you hear Pyongyang Pangsong on 657 in Hawaii?

Notalent
    Participant

Interestingly I heard Pyongyang booming in on 9776 kHz about a week ago… Pretty sure I’ve never heard them before.

semoochie
    Participant

“…But did you hear Pyongyang Pangsong on 657 in Hawaii?” That’s pretty close to 650, if it’s still there.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Well, crainbebo says he was able to DX it along with a huge assload of MW stations from China and Japan clear over in Yakima (!) during a huge skip opening in late October or early November. Wiki reports PP’s ERP as 1 1/2MW. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_radio_stations_in_North_Korea#KCBS_Pyongyang_Pangsong) Who knows how reliable that is, but there you go. I figure since Hawaii’s about halfway between here and NK there’d be a higher chance of hearing it there under more or less normal conditions than here though I’ve even heard it at the WA coast.

It’s easy to identify especially you’ve ever heard North Korean music which is unmistakable. They voice-identify periodically as “Pyongyang Pangsong imnida” (literally “Pyongyang Broadcasting this is”). I have yet to get it here in Orchards and doubt I will since CFFR and sometimes KTNN’s sideband on 660 obliterates 657.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Here is an MP3 of KBPS recorded on October 26, 2018 in Sweden.

[audio src="http://www.mediafire.com/file/31b36c23dg2df3s/1450+-+KBPS_Portland_OR_18-10-26_418am-PDT.mp3" /]

Here is the DX information we received with the MP3:

“I am a 68 years old retired telecom engineer living in Älvsjö, a suburb to the capital Stockholm. I spent 3 weeks in October/November 2018 in a village called Parkalompolo for some serious DX-ing/radio listening. Parkalompolo is a very small village some 100 km northwest of Pajala in the far north of Sweden, north of the Arctic Circle. I used my receiver NetSDR and a 800 meters Beverage antenna directed towards western North America.”

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I had stepped away from this thread and missed the developments.

I once did hear the Pyongyang station on 13.760 MHz, though I have never managed to hear it on mediumwave, not even in Hawaii. I would not be too surprised if DXers over there could hear occasionally it using beverage antennas or even large loops.

Regarding the KBPS aircheck, I am impressed with the lack of fading and with how KBPS is consistently stronger than the other stations. In Hillsboro, KBPS disappears nightly under the co-channel din, even on nights that the propagation isn’t that good. For reference, here is a map showing all of the 1450 kHz stations in the US: http://www.nf8m.com/pattern_maps/US-CA_daytime/D-map_1450KHz.html

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Yesterday, I was up way past my bedtime, and I noted very strong mediumwave propagation. Most surprisingly, I heard a heterodyne from a 747 kHz carrier under KXL! 820 kHz and 1000 kHz had very easily audible heterodynes.

I was also able to hear a TIS station on 1710 kHz, although I could not make out the callsign. A synthesized male voice repeatedly announced the station as “Construction Radio.” It appeared that the announcement was a loop and that there were no advisories at the moment.

Viewing 14 posts - 136 through 149 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.