The AM DX thread

This topic contains 128 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Alfredo_T 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
  • Author

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Yesterday, I tuned the car radio to 1160, about 6:45 PM and clearly heard Spanish language Christian programming. The signal was not very strong, but nothing else was heard in the background. Had KSL-AM flipped to Spanish? I then heard the ID; this was XEQIN from Baja California. I had never heard this station before. About 20 minutes later, KSL started to fade in and it eventually dominated the frequency.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The FCC record is out of date and still shows them at 2.5 kW ND @ 1290, but the wikipedia entry shows them at 10 kW on 1160. They’re close to the border so you’d think that record would be updated. Nevertheless that’s a good skip shot for 10 kW.

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=102923

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XEQIN-AM

Except for an applications in Lacey, WA for 5 kW daytime only and Peace River, Alberta 10 kW D 2.5 kW N DA2, there’s nobody close by on that channel. However, KEL in Salt Lake City @ 50 kW ND puts out a hefty signal. But that’s how skip works. Other stations on that channel are no closer than Illinois, Minnesota and Texas (and further away in Mexico and Quebec, Canada).

http://tinyurl.com/pu2n8gu

jr_tech
    Participant

Perhaps unusual conditions related to Geomagnetic storm?

“UNEXPECTED GEOMAGNETIC STORM: A strong G3-class geomagnetic storm erupted during the early hours of Jan. 7th, sparking bright auroras around Earth’s poles. What happened? The interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) near our planet tipped south, opening a crack in Earth’s magnetosphere. Solar wind poured in to fuel the strongest magnetic storm since Sept. 2014. NOAA analysts believe the fluctuation in IMF is related to the arrival of a CME originally expected to miss Earth.”

http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=07&month=01&year=2015

boisebill
    Participant

XEQUIN stays on day power until 7 PM. And it’s OK with the Government down there.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Very early this morning, I heard barely intelligible Spanish programming on 530 kHz. I had to turn my loop antenna East-West to null out interference from the neighbor’s plasma TV. Could this have been CIAO (Brampton, Ontario), which runs an ethnic format? Could it even have been Radio Encyclopedia from Havana, Cuba? I’ll listen again tonight to see if I can solve this mystery!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I regularly listen to KKOH 780 to hear The John Batchelor Show. When KKOH fades, there is a very loud background hiss. I have been wondering if I am hearing an adjacent station’s HD sidebands. I just found out that KABC 790 broadcasts HD. Could KABC be the culprit? Due to the presence of KPDQ, it is a bit challenging to test this hypothesis by listening for HD sidebands near 800 kHz. However, I have a few experiments I will try out tonight.

jr_tech
    Participant

Seem likely… listening to KKOH in ssb mode the audio is nearly noise free in lsb mode and fairly noisy in usb mode, but with weaker audio and higher signal strength. wish I had a spectrum analyzer!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

What is puzzling me now is that when I hear the hiss on KKOH, 790 is a mix of stations. I would have expected that KABC would have to be putting a pretty strong signal into this area to cause this kind of interference. What a mess!

jr_tech
    Participant

But 780 is “US Clear”, with only Reno and Chicago having high nightime power, while 790 is a “US Regional” with nearly 50 stations, including one in Albany, on at various powers and patterns at night. I think that it is quite possible that the digital sidebands, which extend to about 15 khz on either side of 790 could be heard here and possibly be decoded even though 790 is covered up by a pile of stations.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I guess that it still is possible that I’m hearing the KABC IBOC sidebands. This bunny is not happy.
    :-(

vrooms
    Participant

Today Wednesday 11/18/15 12:10 PM PST CKMX 1060 Calgary, AB being heard with their comedy programming. 50 kw making it down to Kalama, WA Receiver R-390A with a 600′ random wire. Fair signal

jr_tech
    Participant

Weak in Hillsboro on Icom 8500 with 100 foot “longwire”… fairly unusual daytime reception, thanks for the heads up!

W7PAT
    Participant

December and January are good months for daytime skip. KEX gets heard in Edmonton, Alberta during the day on occasion.

semoochie
    Participant

Calgary on 1060 used to be a regular nighttime signal. CFCN rings a bell.

fm_dxer
    Participant

“used to be” aka the localism agenda

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.