The All-New PDX Radio Corporate Deathwatch

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things The All-New PDX Radio Corporate Deathwatch

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

That’s one of the older locations in town. I’m pretty sure that it dates back to at least before my birth! It’s probably been losing customers since the Johnson Road location went in and the Clackamas store probably didn’t help it any. Still, I’m very surprised.

skeptical
    Participant

The small size is problematic. Disappointing customers by not having everything carried by other stores is a factor. It wasn’t a beloved small store like, let’s say, Burlingame. Mr. Meyer might have kept it alive, but Kroger probably saw pennies rolling away. That said, there might be something else going on here — perhaps having to do with whoever owns the land. The last store closure if I’m correct, Rockwood, the lot sat vacant for years, building was torn down. Distressed area.

Brianl
    Participant

Maybe it will be torn down like Rockwood – they’re developing the hell out of Foster.

Andy Brown
    Participant

That store (and the property) even after several remodels is still too small and compared to the one just down 82nd at Johnson Creek is just not competitive any more. In addition, that neighborhood has numerous other grocery/merchandise stores. I’m surprised they didn’t close it when Johnson Creek opened years ago. Its closing is no big deal.

Someone will probably build a strip mall with multiple stores/rents since I can’t think of any major grocery chain that would want to be there, although there are no Albertons/Safeways in that area, but they are building huge stores and unless they want to spend a bundle of dough for underground or elevated parking I don’t see them being interested.

As the article stated: “A Fred Meyer in Happy Valley is about two miles south, and a WinCo Foods in Southeast Portland is about one mile north. A Walmart Supercenter is about two-thirds of a mile north, on Southeast Holgate Boulevard.

The closure will not likely create an urban “food desert,” as defined by the USDA, where at least 500 people would have to live more than one mile from a supermarket or large grocery store.”

paulwalker
    Participant

Kroger is apparently being selective with their Fred Meyer division. In my area, they just completed a major remodel of their Richland, WA store, certainly one of their biggest. They also operate in Kennewick, WA, another large store, but probably also in need of a remodel. Their stores usually do well when they have a lot of room to offer many departments, but how they compete against Wal-Mart and Costco is somewhat beyond me. I do like the opportunity to buy their Kroger brands, which are usually of good quality at a decent price.

Amus
    Participant

edselehr
    Participant

They’ll probably tear it down. if it’s al older FM design with the Parcel Pick-up area, that doesn’t jibe with the preferred layout of today’s retailers. Plus, the square footage is a bit big for the boutique/small retail size stores that 82nd is (I believe) gravitating toward.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

This last week seemed to be popular with closings, with both locations of Original Taco House, and the Lloyd Center locations of both Sears and Nordstrom making the news.
    Wouldn’t surprise me if Lloyd Center losing two anchors in a short amount of time will cause the death spiral seen in malls across other parts of the country.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Sears leaving is part of the Lloyd Center reboot and will be replaced by the new theater multiplex. This was announced last year. Nordstroms probably realized they are a high end retailer that has always been somewhat out of place especially with a store downtown.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Toys “R” Us
    The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on September 18, 2017. On March 14, 2018, the company issued an updated statement that they would liquidate and close all of their UK stores. The UK branch of the company has amassed a £15m tax bill that it is unlikely to pay.On March 15, the company filed documents in US bankruptcy court to liquidate its US business.

Claire’s
    This company has about $2billion in debt and is expected to file for Chapter 11 soon, in order to reorganize. As additional drama, independent laboratory tests have found high levels of asbestos in the talc used in some of Claire’s products, such as powder compacts, eye shadow, and contouring kits.

Andy Brown
    Participant
    edselehr
    Participant

A good friend of mine worked for Boyd’s for decades, and retired a few years ago. One of the retirement benefits was free Boyd’s coffee for life, which obviously ends with the closure. Sad, but especially so since she liked there coffee a lot.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The Babies “R” Us store on SW Dartmouth Rd in Tigard has “STORE CLOSING” signs in its windows.

radiodork
    Spectator

I thought Boyd’s made most of their business selling coffee for restaurants to serve. While most of Boyd’s blends are pretty bad, I love their original blend. The spaghetti factory serves it.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Years ago, the place where I work used to have Boyd’s coffee in the break rooms. Now, they have Starbucks.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 159 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.