The All-New PDX Radio Corporate Deathwatch

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things The All-New PDX Radio Corporate Deathwatch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant
    skeptical
    Participant

Sears/Kmart: EMTs are waiting for a doctor to declare them dead.

edselehr
    Participant

Sears and Kmart are sitting on a lot of company-owned prime retail space since they’ve been around for so long. I know here in Gresham they keep the Kmart open just to pay the taxes (there are no more than a dozen cars at a time in their five acre parking lot). But someday, they’ll cash out that real estate and make a killing. Just depends on when they decide to pull the trigger.

Broadway
    Participant

Great new AM tower sites–:)

Andy Brown
    Participant

They’ve done that locally already. The K-Mart on 224 near SE 82nd/I-205 got leveled about two years ago and there is a huge CarMax lot on the space now.

edselehr
    Participant

Andy, I think if a store can’t cover it’s own costs then it’s gone. I imagine that’s what happened with the Kmart you are talking about. Or, Carmax made an offer they couldn’t refuse, since that’s a pretty nice location. Hard to find large, high-visibility commercial sites in Portland any more.

(Wonder why their parking lots are all SO big? Were they ever that popular? A modern, larger FM has less parking than a Kmart.)

skeptical
    Participant

Big enough for a Black Friday or 2.

paulwalker
    Participant

Sears/Kmart still has some valuable assets, one of the biggest is the Kenmore brand, but even that brand has been diluted somewhat and many appliances are built by other companies. I would suppose their 2nd biggest asset would simply be the “land” as mentioned above, and depending on the real estate value of where they will be closing. But make no mistake, Sears/Kmart is on life support.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

A number of Frack Burger locations, including the one on SW Barbur Blvd, have been closed for a few months. Are there any Frack Burger locations that are still open, or has the company folded?

Scott J
    Spectator
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

I remember seeing a prediction circa 1992 that shopping malls would be on their way out within 15-20 years. At the time, I thought the prediction completely unrealistic. Of course, at the time, I also thought that shortwave radio would never go away.

I am now adding Frack Burger to the list of dead companies. After I wrote about them earlier today, I read that the last two locations were Canby and SW Barbur Blvd. Both have closed.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Toshiba may soon be filing for bankruptcy due to losses that it has suffered in its nuclear plant construction business. See https://www.extremetech.com/computing/244441-toshiba-facing-bankruptcy-total-disintegration-thanks-bad-bets-nuclear-power

DanOregon
    Participant

Not trying to be an a-hole here, but does radio still attract an attractive demographic? Aren’t companies still able to reach their customers via radio kind of in trouble anyway?

I know there are stations geared to younger listeners, but I wonder what their listener numbers (total) are compared to stations geared to older listeners.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Surprisingly, among Millennials, radio outperforms TV according to this study:

Age Distribution of Radio and Mobile Audiences Strikingly Similar; TV Skews Much Older

With Generation-X and Baby Boomers, the situation is reversed.

Caveat: This data is from 2013.

paulwalker
    Participant

Then there is Walgreens taking over Rite-Aid. I have been reading a lot about this, and while the brands may operate as usual for awhile, most are predicting a phase out of Rite-Aid at some point. Also, a chain called Fred’s, (not to be confused with Fred Meyer), may be part of the divestiture in this deal, taking over many Rite-Aids. Whether this means “Fred’s” may enter markets beyond its current Southeast presence in unknown. In many markets, including many here in the NW, Walgreen’s sits very close to Rite-Aid, sometimes right across the street from each other. Those Rite-Aid’s may the first to close.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.