TEGNA vs Dish

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  mwdxer1 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

mwdxer1
    Participant

Apparently Dish and another company has a dispute. The company is TEGNA, and I guess KGW, KING, & KONG are all part of it. But so far I have seen anything mentioned on the air, or no crawl. I guess some stations are complaining, a couple in Denver as well as one in Sacramento, but I have not seen anything here as yet. Anyone else notice?

mwdxer1
    Participant

KGW is running the crawler now, so here we go again.

paulwalker
    Participant

Tegna is the former Gannett TV division. They spun-off their publishing division, which keeps the name Gannett.

Nearly all the 46 Tegna station newscasts look the same graphically.

Joe
    Participant

Just saw a crawler on KOIN for DirecTV customers saying DirecTV customers could lose KOIN on September 30 at 9PM.

paulwalker
    Participant

Wow, it seems to me DirectTV is shooting itself in the foot. These threats do them no good, IMO.

I have stuck with cable, and while it isn’t nirvana, it is perhaps better than dish services.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Thank goodness most of the main Portland stations have many translators, so the disputes have no effect on me. There are disputes between cable companies and the TV corps too. The TV companies often want to increase their fees double or triple. In the case of Dish, they are trying to keep their prices down. Every time Dish or Direct raises their rates, some customers drop them.

Broadway
    Participant

Has zero effect on those geeks that have OTA TV antennas hooked up their sets with Dish or Direct but this is getting old.

semoochie
    Participant

“I have stuck with cable, and while it isn’t nirvana, it is perhaps better than dish services.” It may not be nirvana but if you listen in Northwest Portland, it could be a Pearl jam. 🙂

mike_kolb
    Participant

There’s a whole bunch of us out here “in the sticks” with no access to cable (of any sort) and 100% out of the range of any OTA TV. We’re totally dependent on satellite service of one brand or the other.

So for me, it’s an attitude adjustment. If Dish or Direct are unable to provide a certain channel (for whatever reason, legit or otherwise) then I’ll learn to live without it.

And there’s a certain freedom in that. Screw ’em… if they can’t deliver the goods, it’s time to go outside and do something healthy until they can!

terra579
    Participant

DISH claims they hav e reached agreement with a number of other providers and wants DISH to agree to the same terms.

TEGNA claims it has reached agreements with many other retransmission companies and simply wants DISH to agree to the same terms,

Seems like either or both are lying or there could be a rapid agreement. The only sensible short-term solution ought to be to have a “continuing resolution” until negotiations are successful, with the terms being retroactive. Why mujst they hold us viewers (WCSH6/NBC in Portlsnd, ME) hostage?

Chuck Durang, Wilton, ME

mwdxer1
    Participant

Apparently, there is an 8 day extension, because the Hurricane in the East. It looks like the two sides are working out an agreement. I don’t think either side wants to lose viewers. The issue is that these corporations that own a bunch of stations, seem to be asking for huge increases in fees and Dish, Direct, Cable refuses to pay the rates, as they do not want to have to increase the bills to their customers. Most have to raise the rates at times anyway with other programmers wanting more money. But at an average of $80-$100 a month for TV, it is getting way out of hand. OTA is the way to go, is possible.

mwdxer1
    Participant

As of tonight 10/9 Tegna has once again pulled their channels from Dish, KGW Portland, KING & KONG Seattle, and many others across the US. Good ol’ OTA!!!

puddoc1
    Participant

This sucks for me. I live behind Mt. Tabor (east side) in Matt Zaffino’s old house. I have tried, since digital conversion, to get OTA for the main network stations. 40 feet of mast, amplifiers, no luck. I have Dish, and now no golf today after being gone all week. Hate the fact that there is no option for me that would not be real ugly or real expensive.

mike_kolb
    Participant

This is TEGNA’s official position on the matter (taken from their corporate website) …and it’s a total crock of shit.

McLEAN, VA – TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) tonight issued the following statement:

“TEGNA has worked hard over the course of months to reach a deal with DISH. Our position has been simple: the same fundamental terms that allowed us to reach deals with distributors nationwide should serve as the basis for our deal with DISH. Rather than accepting that fair, market-based approach, DISH has refused to reach an agreement and once again is preventing its customers from accessing valued channels, even as customers continue to pay for that content. Despite DISH’s repeated efforts to blame programmers, the record is crystal clear – DISH is a serial dropper of channels. It has been responsible for the largest broadcast blackout in history and routinely drops valued cable and broadcast channels. TEGNA, on the other hand, has never been in this position before because we have always been able to reach fair agreements with distributors without disrupting our viewers.”

Again, a total crock of shit. They’re attempting to overprice their products to DISH and are willing to hold viewers ransom to get that price and shifting the blame in the process.

mwdxer1
    Participant

The TV stations are demanding way too much. The money the TV corps are getting from the providers is in the $ Billions, where it used to be a few hundred thousand. Now Dish is trying to work the FCC into the picture to offer temporarily an out of market network signal until the problems are solved. If they do allow that, then the local NBC, CBS, ABC, & FOX stations will be forced to come to the table. Right now, the viewer is the one losing out which the companies fight it out. One friend I know has Dish and has added a small local package of the TV stations on cable. The cost is $10-$15 a month, but he has access when this happens. The logic is that if you have more than one provider, you will not lose the same station(s) off both at the same time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.