Sunny 1550 Format Flip

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

The adult standards programming is gone from 1550. This morning, I heard a male announcer who I assume was speaking Vietnamese.

The closest things remaining to adult standards that I can hear from my location are now:

• 1260 KLYC
    • 1450 KBPS (part time)
    • 95.1 KISN-LP
    • 100.7 KQRZ-LP
    jimbo
    Participant

I heard the same thing as I was going across the dial. It was either yesterday or Saturday.

superhet
    Participant

Sunny 1550 shall be missed. I think about all the oldsters in the assisted living communities who were wondering what happened to their usual dosage of Four Freshmen, when they heard the Vietnamese programming.

I wonder if the new owners will take advantage of the station’s reach into the Hood River area. Last year I picked up 1550 all around that area, much better reception than in SE Portland.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am mulling over how I should set the presets on my various radios now that Sunny and KUIK are gone. However, I am also wondering whether I should wait for the new KUIK programming before making any changes.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

I’d leave the preset for Sunny’s frequency as it is. This isn’t the first time it’s been off-again on-again.

Give it a few months or a year, it’ll be back.

W7PAT
    Participant

Here is mine, left to right
    KOAC
    KPOJ
    KXTG
    KPAM
    KFXX
    KEX

That will change if the new 1360 has a decent format.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

My existing car presets are:

KPAM
    KOMO
    KSL
    KUIK
    KBPS
    KKOV

My DX390’s presets are all blank because I haven’t set them since I replaced the memory backup batteries. I have a Technics tuner with 20 random-access presets whose assignments escape me at the moment.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Out here on the North Coast, Adult Standards have always been hard to find locally. KVAS Astoria ran the format for a short time years ago. Except for some talk & news, I have been listening to MP3 or CDs for sometime in my vehicles. At home I have two wifi radios and I can find about anything I want from Jazz, Blues, Adult Standards, even to Mongolian Pop music -). Gone are the days when the local station stayed the same format year after year. Many years ago while driving in the Valley, I always had on KSLM 1390. In those days no one could touch them in the ratings. A good personality Middle of the Road station.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I find the evolution of the Adult Standards format to be interesting, yet not surprising. In the 1980s, these stations were playing music of the WWII era and early 1950s pop (no rock & roll). In the 1990s, the WWII era music started to be gradually phased out and was replaced by showtunes and softer vocals from the late 1950s and early 1960s. In the 2000s, I think that the format really started to morph into something more like MOR, as some contemporary music was added, as well as softer songs by The Beatles, Carole King, Carly Simon, etc. Recently, I have been hearing a lot of 1980s MOR hits, as well as Motown, while the 1950s music has been expunged.

I think that the prominence of 1980s music is putting this format at a crossroads. When these songs were new, one could hear them on personality-driven full service AM stations or on “more music, less talk” FM stations. The people who would have heard them on AM then would have been those who really wanted to hear the personalities along with the music or those who had AM-only radios (as was the basic sound system option in a number of cars at the time). Today, the personalities are almost all gone, and various FM stations include some 1980s MOR hits in their playlists.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Since everybody else is giving theirs, here are my presets:

Yep.

semoochie
    Participant

“Give it a few months or a year, it’ll be back.” It’s one thing for a local millionaire, who likes the format, to keep it on the air, despite aging out of significance(the format, not the millionaire). It’s quite another for a new owner to do so. Don’t expect to ever hear this format again on commercial radio. The most likely possibility is probably LPFM.

LTPDXRadio
    Participant

This is sad news for me, because I LOVED the Adult Standards format on 1550 (which was simulcast out of the San Louis Obispo KKJL radio station), as they had great on-air people and music that was great to listen to every day.
    I miss Watkins, Brand, and all the rest of those guys.

I would agree with the sentiments that we will never have these kinds of local broadcasting ever again, as the age group and audience for this format are declining at a rapid rate from the usual reasons of age.

Does anyone here know of ANY station that currently carries the same Standards format with the on-air personalities (Brand, Watkins, Carl Hampton) online?

Thanks for whatever help and info you can give.

semoochie
    Participant

I thought the personalities had been dropped from the network. Similar music is still on KIXI.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Westwood One (the syndicators responsible for Sunny’s format) let all the personalities go over a year ago. As somebody who was a fan of the format but had not yet been born when many of its staple songs were first released, I really enjoyed the personalities. The little news and pop culture tidbits that they incorporated into the broadcast put the songs into context for me.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.