Southern Oregon Radio Happenings

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Southern Oregon Radio Happenings

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Is Chico above or below the Zone II/Zone IA line? Big difference between “full power” when it’s only 50 kW vs. 100 kW.

chessyduck
    Participant

It’s only 50kw… the breakout divide is somewhere between Redding and Chico…

boisebill
    Participant

Back when the original Chico KPAY-FM CP app was filed for they tried to claim Class C status since the transmitter was just into that region. FCC didn’t buy it. City of License not transmitter location.

e_dawg
    Participant

I think the borderline between ZoneII/ZoneIA line is Los Molinos and Corning California. Precisely, Exit 636 Gyle Road is the divide line. As KMXI, it’s still below the 40th parallel lines. I don’t think because of COL is the issue, if you look at Louisville, KY majority of their FM’s COL is Louisville, KY or along Kentucky, but since their transmitter is located in Indiana. Their radio stations are Class B/B1 instead of Class C2/C3.

Andy Brown
    Participant

§73.210 Station classes.
    (a) The rules applicable to a particular station, including minimum and maximum facilities requirements, are determined by its class. Possible class designations depend upon the zone in which the station’s transmitter is located, or proposed to be located.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=5d1b7566dbf582a9ee853c43bbd14289&mc=true&node=se47.4.73_1210&rgn=div8

boisebill
    Participant

Way back when they did the application FCC didn’t rule that way.

chessyduck
    Participant

The FCC approved the sale of KRRM from the Estate of Shirley Bell to Grants Pass Broadcasting (11/17). Purchase price for this Rogue River Class A FM was $150,000 but did not include the famous CD library. The FCC also approved an extension of KRRM’s STA to remain silent – lasting now through 1/1/2021.

KRRM will blast away at 130 watts ERP on 94.7 MHz once it returns to the air. The 60dBu footprint covers all of Grants Pass and reaches down to the north edges of Medford.

It will be interesting to see how the folks behind KAJO/KLDR program their new class A. (I doubt it will be a KAJO relay as that AM outlet already has a repeater on 99.7 that overlaps most of KRRM’s coverage area.)

e_dawg
    Participant

I wonder if KRRM will upgrade to either Class C2 or Class C and able to serve the entire Rouge Valley area all the way down to Ashland, Or?

Shirley Knott
    Participant

I see no place for KRRM to move that would allow them full coverage of the Rogue Valley. Not eve a C3 upgrade.

Current channel is out because of KTEE, a cochannel C1 at North Bend almost on their current Class A contour.

Moving to 92.9 as a C3 might work, but there would have to be a transmitter site available in a very small quadrant in the mountains about 12-15 miles south of Grants Pass. No stations are out there now.

Odds are small that there’s anything there that would work as a real world solution thanks to shortage of electricity on mountain tops.

semoochie
    Participant

OK, I’ll play. How about a C4, not that it’s a thing yet?

chessyduck
    Participant

JPR’s KSJK will return to the air at some point. The engineering team wrote up this entry for the Silent STA paperwork which was approved by the FCC on 2 November:

“KSJK/1230 AM IN TALENT OREGON WAS DESTROYED SEPTEMBER 8, 2020 IN THE ALAMEDA DRIVE FIRE. JPR DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING DARIN RANSOM REPORTS THAT THE BUILDING AND ALL EQUIPMENT NEEDED TO OPERATE THE STATION IS A TOTAL LOSS. REBUILDING THE STATION WOULD LIKELY TAKE SEVERAL MONTHS AND REQUIRE SECURING FUNDING TO PURCHASE A NEW TRANSMITTER AND REQUIRED EQUIPMENT. IT IS BELIEVED THAT THE TRANSMISSION TOWER REMAINS USABLE BUT THAT WILL NEED TO BE VERIFIED.”

russell-curry
    Participant

KGRV and KVIP have previously been sister stations, now KGRV is rebroadcasting KVIP. There are two other stations on the network, including KMWR Brookings, along with about two dozen translators.

chessyduck
    Participant

Here’s the backgrounder, as observed at the KGRV700.net website…. Quoting….

A Word from Our General Manager

Welcome to the KVIP Radio Family of Stations, with its headquarters located in Redding, California! KVIP’s network programming is heard on 33 different signals throughout California, Oregon, and Arizona. This year we are celebrating 50 years of sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ as a listener-supported Christian Radio Ministry!

The staff and board members would like to extend a special welcome to the listeners of our sister-station of 35 years, KGRV in Winston/Roseburg, Oregon. They are now hearing the same broadcast as heard on the other 32 signals of the KVIP Radio Network.

Recently, Steve Hafen, who was the General Manager of KVIP for 25 years, has gone to be home with his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He was greatly appreciated and will be missed. After much prayer, the Board of Directors has hired Phil Morrow, General Manager of KGRV, to serve as the KVIP Network Operations Manager. Here is Phil to share a little about himself:

I grew up in Redding and started at KVIP back in 1984 as a radio operator for two years. Then I moved to Chico to get my degree in “Broadcast Communications” with an emphasis in radio management. I knew that the Lord was calling me into a life ministry of serving in Christian radio. After graduating, I took a position with our sister station, KGRV, in Roseburg, Oregon. As the General Manager of KGRV,
    I have been active in serving on the network’s leadership team and was blessed to know Steve Hafen. Together we have prayed for the ministries of Pacific Cascade Communications to nourish, encourage, and equip our listeners to a fulfilling life in Christ and to introduce the seeker to a saving knowledge of Jesus. My wife, Tracy, and I are looking forward to visiting the communities of the KVIP family of stations

etc. etc…

bossjock
    Participant

KRRM comes back on Monday, Jan 4. Click the link for a pretty decent story + press release and the excellent video created for the re-launch: https://radioinsight.com/headlines/203573/krrm-to-return-with-classic-country-january-4/

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by bossjock. Reason: clarity
    chessyduck
    Participant

Website will be KRRM.COM but for now try :
    https://www.facebook.com/krrm947/

Audio streaming at : https://v7player.wostreaming.net/8600

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.