Something To Ponder

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

In the song, “I Saw Her Standing There”, when the Beatles sang the line, “And the way she looked, was way beyond compare!”, were they saying that she looked like a loaf of Franz Bread? 🙂

Vitalogy
    Participant

No. Franz Bread stole the line…

semoochie
    Participant

My instructor, Ralph Rogers explained this to us. Various bread companies were saying, “Compare this, compare that.”. He and his associates came up with “flavor BEYOND compare!” and it was all over. It’s a lot older than The Beatles.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

This is an intriguing question. Was it just coincidence that the phrase “beyond compare” was used in the lyrics, or did Lennon and McCartney deliberately use a reference to an American advertising slogan to give the song an American feel?

Some time ago, I learned on this board that the non-standard grammar used in The Rolling Stones’ “Satisfaction” was intended to mimic the dialect of Black Americans. Doing something like this today might come across as racist (because listeners might assume that the intent is to lampoon a minority group). However, British rock musicians of the 1960s were trying to create music that sounded like American R&B.

Amus
    Participant

“I cannot attain satisfaction”

Just wouldn’t be the same!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

How would the lyrics to that song have been if they had been written in British English from a British perspective?

I cannot find satisfaction
    when I’m driving in my motorcar
    and that man comes on the wireless
    with some bloody nonsense
    meant to fire my imagination

Amus
    Participant

But he can’t be a bloke
    Because he doesn’t smoke
    The same brand of fag as me.

semoochie
    Participant

Hey, that rhymes! Something to ponder. 🙂

duxrule
    Participant

It’s weird how song lyrics do that from time to time. 😉

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Good night and thanks for the bread” said John Lennon to Jim Steck of KRLA radio in Los Angeles on August 26, 1964 as reported in Way Beyond Compare: The Beatles’ Recorded Legacy, Volume One, 1957-1965
    By John C. Winn

http://tinyurl.com/p5zxobb

semoochie
    Participant

I don’t know obvious this is but just thought I’d clear up a couple of things: Dux, Amus’ first two lines rhyme; the regular ones don’t. This makes me think that Mick and Keith may have written it that way in the first place and changed it later. Andy, I believe John Lennon was referring to money when he said “bread”.

Amus
    Participant

OK; I know this is a diversion, but such is the nature of a “thread”.

I read about (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction on Wiki.

Interesting to note that Keith Richards & Mick Jagger wanted to replace the now iconic guitar riff with horns.

They were outvoted and what you hear is a placeholder guitar through a Gibson fuzzbox to simulate horns.

After the release of the record, and before the end of 1965, Gibson was completely sold out of their Maestro fuzzbox.

Wonder how different things would be if they’d used horns instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%28I_Can%27t_Get_No%29_Satisfaction

semoochie
    Participant

My above post should read “I don’t know HOW obvious…”. Sometimes, it just doesn’t help to proofread. I did so twice!

Andy Brown
    Participant

I know, Semoochie. I was just kidding. I think it’s a preposterous presumption to think the two (lyrics and bread ads) are connected at all.

semoochie
    Participant

I know. I was just covering all the bases. I never bought into that whole “Beatles/Franz” thing either.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.