Sitcoms as comfort food

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

OK, I admit, my semi-retirement has put me in front of my tv more than I would like.

However, I notice that only a few old sitcoms seem to be shown…Frasier, Will & Grace, Golden Girls, seem to be the ones that pop up the most, sometimes on multiple channels. I like all three, but this should not be the end all of classic tv. I understand channels like Me-tv, and Tvland are also out there, but lately they seem lamer than lame.

What would you like to see on retro channels? Is there enough variety? Do these channels need to add other programs?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I have noticed that in the last 10 years or so, a very common programming strategy by networks that broadcast reruns of old programs has been to run multi-hour blocks of the same program. Contrast this with the approach that independent TV stations took in the 1980s, where daily they would broadcast one episode of each program.

Has it become much more difficult and/or much more expensive for broadcasters to secure the rights to run old programs? Or is this “marathon” program strategy simply a gimmick used to get the attention of fickle viewers with remote controls and access to dozens upon dozens of programming options?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.