Sit down, you weren't called. Go back to Univision

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Sit down, you weren't called. Go back to Univision

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Or did he realy mean go back to Mexico?

Seriously, how long will this daily shit show continue? The GOP must be shitting their pants about now.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/donald-trump-anchor-jorge-ramos-go-back-univision-n416011

paulwalker
    Participant

I saw this whole thing live this afternoon. While watching I thought it was real.

Upon repeats, (and BTW this will be in the news cycle for atleast the next 24 hours+), I am wondering if it might have been staged.

Both parties have major media ties, and both could probably gained publicity from this. Just a thought, though I could be way off.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Trump speaks out of both sides of his mouth. One second you’re a piece of shit, the next second you’re a good guy.

This was not staged, it was just another example of how much of a dickhead-racist Trump is.

Vitalogy
    Participant

And sadly, the right wing is eating up Trump’s dung like a beetle on a fresh pile.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Here’s your definitive political guide to this (very early) primary season and one Mr. Trump:

If you’re not a voter likely to support (any) GOP candidate for president, I wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about Donald Trump. Seriously. Just sit back and enjoy. He’s destroying his own party; he’s not harming the other side.

For one thing, he won’t be the Republican nominee. Only the very credulous and willfully misinformed could possibly believe otherwise. More on that in a moment. For another, it’s completely hilarious. I mean that both literally as well as in the far more delicious schadenfreude sense. That CNN press conference yesterday is some of the most entertaining reality TV I’ve seen in months.

Donald is the Republican’s id channeled into delightfully pasty, orange, and unlikely quaffed life. He speaks in utter certitudes; often out of completely unabashed ignorance. He offers idiot demagoguery in place of thoughtful rhetoric. He’s dismissive of objectively fact based information that does not align with his ideological worldview. He’s relentlessly ‘Merican”! (I mean that of course in the dim witted George W Bush school of drooling patriotism.) He’s also very loud and bombastic (and often quite funny) and speaks directly to the fears of a certain kind of voter.

You know the ones I mean. They’re deeply uneasy with the rapidity of social change and the evolving demography of the United States. They view with great cynicism (as well as a number of other isms of a far more base variety) any number of disparate issues from gay marriage, to our current African American President, to Caitlyn Jenner landing on the cover of Vanity Fair, as bell weathers of a more dark, clearly immoral, and troubling future that’s completely at odds with “their country”. And that country they claim to love? That too is “under attack”. Christians are under attack. Their “religious liberty” (sic the freedom to discriminate) is under attack. Their freedom of speech is under attack. Government is entirely corrupt and ineffective, “the media” are lying to them, and so on and so on. They also believe the border is porous, and of course, that illegal immigrants of every sort (though primarily the brown kind) are the root of every economic and social ill imaginable. I.e. The country is on fire, the world is burning, everything is terrible, etc.

Of course none of this is in any meaningful way remotely true or accurate, but you (literally) cannot rebut these beliefs. They’re dearly held and completely impervious to fact, reason, and logic. Any attempt to reason with the unreasonable only strengthens their vapid resolve. And who are these titans of intellect? Why, they’re the Tea Party, a.k.a. the base of the Republican Party, of course. The moderate/corporatist wing of the Republican Party and its attendant media have deftly manipulated these folks for years; securing their political allegiance via a wide range of red meat social issues they actually could care less about but are happy to utilize to create a winning political collation. (Which of course, they promptly throw to the side of the road once an election is secured as those issues mean nothing at all to anyone other than that same base. Indeed, the actual pursuance of such issues on a national level would entirely backfire as the majority of the electorate is not at all in agreement with any of their beliefs.)

This uneasy marriage between Republican party and its base began to unravel in the aftermath of the George W. Bush presidency and has been accelerating ever since. Ergo the cries of RINO, (and worse) from that self-same Tea Party/base that now has nearly the same level of vitriol for The Republican Party as they do for everyone else. This is how you end up with the spectacle of Fox News attempting to derail the candidacy of the most popular guy in the room. #Hilarious.

While it would be a bit disingenuous to say The Donald is not actually running for President, in a lot of ways he actually isn’t. I have news for you, kids. This is all a joke. (Albeit one the media have largely chosen to pretend his serious for the time being.) It’s spectacle. It’s reality TV. His campaign has no real infrastructure, no ground game of any kind in any of the early primary states, he has no realistic or actionable plans to address any of the issues of the day, and lacks the kind of long term planning that will be a prerequisite to creating any sort of meaningful opposition to the Democratic nominee. Oh, and there’s the problem with his unfavorable even among Republican voters are so absurdly high (to say nothing of everyone else, who absolutely think he’s an idiot and would never vote for him) that he’s virtually preordained to flame out once the stakes become far more serious four or five months from now. But he’s fun to watch! And he’s clearly having a ball. Hell, I kind of like the guy.

So, in summation, he’s a completely unserious person and is therefore the preferred candidate of the completely unserious. Do I actually need to remind everyone that fellow mouth breathers (and circus hucksters) Herman Cain, Newt Gingrinch, and Michelle Bachman were all topping Republican primary voter polls in the early going the last time around?

The only people that should be concerned about Donald Trump are other Republicans. He’s in the process of screwing up your national brand so badly, and dragging all of the other clown car candidates so far into right wing loony land, that whomever the non-Trump Republican nominee actually ends up being will be entirely crippled from creating a winning political coalition in the general election next year.

I have news for you, Anne Coulter: You can’t win a national election by solely appealing to older, white, “Christian”, voters. There’s not enough of you anymore.

#ThankGod

#ActuallyAnAgnostic

Love,

Lurking Grendel

P.S. I feel this quote from Blazing Saddles aptly sums up The Tea Party and all (sincere) Donald Trump supporters:

“What did you expect? Welcome sonny? Make yourself at home? Marry my daughter? You’ve got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know…morons”.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Donald is the Republican’s id channeled into delightfully pasty, orange, and unlikely quaffed life.

Indeed. They ordered that shit sandwich and now it’s time to take a nice big bite!

And this:

The only people that should be concerned about Donald Trump are other Republicans. He’s in the process of screwing up your national brand so badly, and dragging all of the other clown car candidates so far into right wing loony land, that whomever the non-Trump Republican nominee actually ends up being will be entirely crippled from creating a winning political coalition in the general election next year.

Spot on.

**And I kind of like the guy too.

Who has that popcorn bowl? I need some munchies for the show.

Amus
    Participant

He’s literally shaking up the GOP.

So much so that;

Frank Luntz Legs Wobble After Fawning Donald Trump Focus Group

(warning: the link contains video that pays automatically. I hate that!)

missing_kskd
    Participant

That video is great! Here’s Trump looking all like a busy leader, and he’s got his own personal eagle to consult too!

🙂

Man, he can sure sell it. Not sure what he’s selling, and I’m definitely sure he’s not sure, other than selling Trump!

missing_kskd
    Participant

Just got done reading…

This:

The focus group watched taped instances on a television of Trump’s apparent misogyny, political flip flops and awe-inspiring braggadocio. They watched the Donald say Rosie O’Donnell has a “fat, ugly face.” They saw that Trump once supported a single-payer health system, and they heard him say, “I will be the greatest jobs president God ever created.” But the group—which included 23 white people, 3 African-Americans and three Hispanics and consisted of a plurality of college-educated, financially comfortably Donald devotees—was undeterred.

At the end of the session, the vast majority said they liked Trump more than when they walked in.

“You guys understand how significant this is?” Luntz asked the press breathlessly when he came back into the room behind the glass. “This is real. I’m having trouble processing it. Like, my legs are shaking.”

“I want to put the Republican leadership behind this mirror and let them see. They need to wake up. They don’t realize how the grassroots have abandoned them,” Luntz continued. “Donald Trump is punishment to a Republican elite that wasn’t listening to their grassroots.”

The group said Trump has their best interests in mind, while other Republicans are looking out for themselves.

I could write pages!

For fucks sake! The Republican establishment has NEVER LISTENED to it’s grass roots! What they did was lip service them in return for votes to favor the interests of rich oligarchs!

And somehow, these people see it, but they still don’t seem to connect the dots. But they see they have been used. Very interesting!

Of course, misinformation still rules. So that dot connecting between their best interests and basic policy is still broken.

I’ll characterize these people in this rough way:

They respond to negative policy vision statements best. The idea that we need to get rid of “those other people” and rid ourselves of “bad” government implies that “good” will happen to “good people” free market, don’t worry about it style.

We could see this play out in all sorts of ways.

I wonder… just wonder, if it’s actually possible to get them thinking about the basic lies.

If even one basic lie could be cracked open, they may well start to think about the whole mess! And if they do…

This:

The group of 29 went around the room, each supplying a single adjective for the legislative body that let them down after the 2014 elections. Congress “does nothing.” It’s “too old.” “Useless.” “Lame.” “Inept.” “Wrong party.” “Cocktail party.” “Gridlock.” “Costly.” “Sold out.” “Sucks.” “Douchebags.”

OF COURSE!! Liberals have been talking about this forever! OF COURSE they say those things. Republicans running on an anti-government, anti this and that platform can’t actually govern! We know this, and apparently so do these people in some fashion or other.

Now, they want good government. Effective.

Who does that? Exercise for the reader, I suppose.

And that’s where the lies come in. They want the ACA repealed, they want “those other people out”, they want their fear and shame validated with aggressive foreign policy and regressive social policy to match their increasingly antiquated norms too.

What a mess! Beautiful mess!

🙂

Luntz deserves this big, BTW. He’s like the doctor creating his Frankenstein. Now that it’s alive, he find it’s not quite the thing he envisioned, and it wants stuff, and it may do stuff he and his backers don’t like!

And it’s on these pages too. Going all the way back to our lost archives.

What happens when all those people, and in particular Tea Partiers, get into office and get a little power?

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS! Hell, even Dodger got into Office here in Oregon, and he’s all Tea Party all the time!

Worse, they can’t even get along! “Wanting their country back” means a lot of different things. Which things?

The fucking things Luntz and the other mega brains in the GOP told them kinds of things. How delicious is that people?

Pure awesome so far.

Amus
    Participant

This;
    The focus group watched taped instances on a television of Trump’s apparent misogyny, political flip flops and awe-inspiring braggadocio. They watched the Donald say Rosie O’Donnell has a “fat, ugly face.” They saw that Trump once supported a single-payer health system, and they heard him say, “I will be the greatest jobs president God ever created.” But the group—which included 23 white people, 3 African-Americans and three Hispanics and consisted of a plurality of college-educated, financially comfortably Donald devotees—was undeterred.

Reminds me of my favorite paragraph from The Authoritarians – by Bob Altemeyer;
    (which I believe you, Missing, turned me on to);

You’re not likely to get anywhere arguing with authoritarians. If you won every round of a 15 round heavyweight debate with a Double High leader over history, logic, scientific evidence, the Constitution, you name it, in an auditorium filled with high RWAs, the audience probably would not change its beliefs one tiny bit.
    Authoritarian followers might even cling to their beliefs more tightly, the wronger they turned out to be. Trying to change highly dogmatic, evidence-immune, group-gripping people in such a setting is like pissing into the wind.

Trump may well be the perfect “Double High Leader”.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Oh, if I could wave that wand and get rid of just one lie… just one! Call it the “Ark of Truth”, like in “Stargate” where they find this artifact that actually does show people the truth.

Which one would it be?

The fucking “both sides” lie. Yeah, that one.

We’ve got one party who does govern. A mini example of that can be seen in the TPP debate. When one looks at the Democratic Party and it’s struggle over TPP, the unions and more Progressive Democrats are at odds with the “third way” ones, and for sure the oligarch type Democrats. Establishment against the grass roots, etc…

That whole debate is how all of government looked some years back. Now it’s just one party having it. And the GOP?

Way off in left field, not able to do anything at all, and for sure not able to actually govern in any real way. They told one another too many lies and made way too many unrealistic promises.

Total mess!

One party can govern, and the other one can’t. One party is full of racists, bigots and theocrats, and those who would give them validation as lip service to advance the interests of oligarchs, and one isn’t about those things. One party wants world domination, war, etc… and one party is pragmatic.

One party is corrupt as hell. One of our parties has the clear lead in crimes while in office, sex scandals, contradictory personal values (anti gay people who are gay in office causing everyone else grief)…

I could go on. And. On.

The two parties are in no way equal or similar at all!

One party isn’t bat shit nuts, and one is! Guess which one? Could it be the one that created this mess?

OF COURSE IT IS!

Get rid of that lie, and what would these people actually do?

Oh, how I wonder. I really do.

Take this in the TIME piece:

Congress’ failures were Trump’s gains. The worse Congress and everyone else falls, the more the businessman has to gain. These supporters were evidence that Trump is winning by a new political paradigm, where disappointment and enchantment go hand in hand.

And rip out that “both sides” lie, and what do we get?

Republicans failures are Trump’s gains! The worse Republicans fail, the more the businessman has to gain. These supporters were evidence that Trump is winning by a new political paradigm, where disappointment and enchantment go hand in hand.

And the interesting thing? Say in a fantasy land where Trump actually did win. What would he need? Liberals. Yep. He would need them, because his own party can’t get along well enough to get anything done!

And Trump is a little bit more liberal down deep than Republicans want to admit. I’m not endorsing Trump at all. Not voting for him, ever. But, he “wants to save the middle class” and “create jobs” and “be the best jobs President ever”

The Democrats could really help with all that you know. Just saying!

Funny that!

missing_kskd
    Participant

@Amus, yes I probably did.

And it’s spot on too. They can’t see it! Won’t see it.

The only way to even move the needle is for the rest of us non-Authoritarians to get stuff done, then they come around or not over time.

A lot of them will. Some won’t. And that’s as good as it gets.

What is disturbing is the numbers! 23 percent? Ha! I think it’s higher now. Maybe a turd.

Amus
    Participant

So here’s a dilemma;

It goes without saying that like you, there is no way I could ever endorse or vote for Trump.

But given the choice of Trump and all that he represents, but is staunchly independent, and Scott Walker, a wholly owned subsidiary of Koch Industries, who would you go with?

I think I’d lean Trump then maybe pack my bags.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Trump over those asses for sure. Then dig in deep and come what may.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Why?

Because Trump means well. He’s bat shit, but he means we’ll and he likes closing deals.

Dems could get good done. No joke.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.