Sirius XM

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    chessyduck
    Participant

SXM’s ongoing campaign to cram in more content and drop the per-stream bandwidth quality remains their Achilles Heel . After a few minutes I succumb to a nasty hedache from the overcompressed audio. Never will I subscribe…

semoochie
    Participant

You would think that with the combined bandwidth of Serius and XM that they wouldn’t need to have extra compression, but they must feel that more is better.

Scott Young
    Participant

Bandwidth isn’t a commodity to be squandered on quality. Even better compression schemes won’t change that. It’ll just result in more streams so that a just barely tolerable suck factor will be maintained.

Scott Young
    Participant

I listened to some Sirius/XM “60s On 6” and “70s On 7” in the car today. I’m not a subscriber so it’s been a long time since I’ve heard Sirius/XM. I wasn’t prepared for just how bad these two channels sound. A car radio on the road hides a multitude of sins but it couldn’t hide the compression artifacts, even from my 62 year olds ears. I’d rather listen to analog FM in a mobile environment with its unintended reception artifacts than listen through data compression artifacts. I guess one of the reasons it bothers me so much is that it’s totally avoidable but intentionally done anyway. Like I said in my previous post, signals are compressed to the limit of which they figure most people will tolerate. It’s like flipping the paying audience off and banking on the audience not noticing they’re being flipped off. Since they’re still in business I guess it must be working and that’s disappointing.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.