Sinclair/Dish Dispute

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

I just read that the subscribers on Dish may lose the Sinclair stations tonight at Midnight. KATU is owned by Sinclair, as well as KOMO. I have Dish along with great OTA. I am sure glad KATU got their translator switched to digital, so it will not affect me. With all of these constant disputes via the OTA stations with Dish, Direct, or Cable, OTA still is the best!

mike_kolb
    Participant

Yeah, this pisses me off! It’s the same old finger-pointing as to who’s to blame in their contract dispute. What’s worse for me, personally, is that the other Sinclair station (KUNP/Univision) is being dropped along with KATU.

No, I don’t speak Spanish, but have become fascinated with the weekly variety show “Sabado Gigante”, which has been on the air for 53yrs and with the same host!

It’s going off the air for good in September so watching it during these final episodes after all these years has been a lot of fun… well, until now.

Damn you DISH-TV ..and damn you, Sinclair Broadcasting! Get your respective acts together, OK?!

mwdxer1
    Participant

Do you have access to an OTA signal for KATU or KUNP? We do not have a translator for KUNP out here on the coast, but there are the national feeds of Univision on Dish, in the upper 200s and also in the 800’s. I do not know what package Univision is in, but I get a lot of Univision on Dish.

paulwalker
    Participant

This kind of thing has been going on between station owners and providers for about 2-3 years now. It is just ugly.

Mike pointed out that both parties are to blame, however, this may be a good thing in that a reasonable compromise can be reached. The stations and the providers don’t want to lose business. The stations have the upper hand as they can provide over the air banners informing of the upcoming conflict, all the providers can do is email or snailmail. It is too bad, because local stations still are a tremnedous service to many communities, both large and small.

Andy Brown
    Participant

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2013-01-02/dish-network-the-meanest-company-in-america

http://www.cnet.com/news/fox-news-channels-go-dark-on-dish-as-contract-talks-stall/

I mean really, this comes as no surprise. Even Faux news channel had problems with their renewal, and Murdoch owns them both. Even though Ergen handed the reigns to Clayton in 2011, Ergen is the controlling asshole at Dish. With a net worth over 11 billion, he is one of the world’s richest men.

Dish is and has been very autonomous for over thirty years. They even had their own installation fleet, customer service division and made their own set top box/receiver up until 2008 when they split off Echostar to do that.

Based on feedback from friends, Direct TV is a much better company to deal with. I wouldn’t know, personally, but I have heard plenty of complaints from Dish users over the years and they far outnumber Direct TV and even Comcast (on a percentage basis – see pie share chart below):

mwdxer1
    Participant

In my case, I have had Dish since 1999. My main reason for getting Dish was to receive the Super Stations (KTLA, KWGN, WPIX, WWOR, & WSBK) and Dish continues to carry them. They are Grandfathered in, so anyone who had them can keep them. If I dropped Dish, I would not have access to the Super Stations, as they are the only provider that carries them. Also Dish has the Blockbuster Pak of like 20-25 channels for an extra $10 a month. Most of commercial free movie channels, off the wall ones) Most of those Direct TV also does not have. I also own my equipment. I don’t lease. So there are many reasons I have stayed with Dish through the years. I have had good results with customer service where some haven’t, but I also do my own work, as I have installed dishes for years. With all providers, there are fights with many of the channels at different times. Dish gets more of it. Ergen is not liked by some, but with Dish has fought to keep our prices down. Dish is still less that Direct and has more variety. But with any pay services there is the good and the bad. I am very thankful most of the Portland TV stations have spent the time an money to give us free TV. With 6 of the stations and sub channels, it is fantastic. We have 12 channels now OTA (11 TV and 1 audio (three streams). That is a lot for area. The only main channels we still do not have OTA is 32 (CW) and 22 (ION).

mike_kolb
    Participant

Thanks, mwdxer1… I found another Univision feed on Dish ch. 828, and there was “Sabado Gigante”. Excellent work, sir!

I’ll stay out of the Dish vs. Direct squabble, only to note that I’m comfortable with Dish and have had very few issues over the years. Additionally, we have satellite internet (the only way we can get it) and our billing reflects a discount by bundling the TV with the internet.

These “us vs. them” contract disputes seem to occur evenly split between both satellite systems so I see no benefit to choosing either, based on solely on that criteria.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Glad you found it okay. I knew there were several channels on Univision on Dish. You are right, the disputes go on, no matter what carrier you have. I knew people that switch back and forth, but that is not to my liking. I am comfortable with Dish and I like their line-up.

Patrick

mwdxer1
    Participant

Dish just got a short extension to try and work things out. I had wondered way Dish did not drop the channels at Midnight. It does not sound like either side wants to lose viewers. This is good news. Often when this happens, that extra time will work. Hope so.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant
    Chico
    Participant

That is a bit of a misleading headline here. All they have agreed to, it appears, is a short term band-aid until they can actually sign a long term deal. Or not. They have learned a lot from CONgress! The whole government seems to run, sort of, on short term fixes. Heh.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Often when these short term extensions happen, they will come to some agreement as it looks like either one wants to walk away. There will be a lot of unhappy customers. Some leave Dish for Direct or Cable and they may never return.

paulwalker
    Participant

Yes, they will work it out.

Until the next one pops up. Not a good sign, especially for the local channels, which serve a great purpose despite their flimsy newscasts. And by that, I mean when there is a serious news event that needs to be covered they do snap into it and respond, importantly. This is also why local news channels have quite a bit of leverage.

washnotore
    Participant

Portland Along With Other Sinclair Stations Go Dark On Dish Network

http://deadline.com/2015/08/dish-network-sinclair-blackout-1201506316/

Time to break out the rabbit ears.

mwdxer1
    Participant

The blackout lasted just 25 1/2 hours. The FCC got involved and now Sinclair and Dish have to make a deal. Too bad the FCC does not get involved with all of these.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.