Sinclair approaches Tribune Media about possible deal

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Sinclair approaches Tribune Media about possible deal

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Screamer
    Participant

It is my understanding that any station currently in a news-share with a Sinclair station is not bound by the edict. Only Sinclair stations are under the requirement to deliver such messages.

msndrspdx
    Participant

MSNBC ran the above clip on “Morning Joe” this morning and then posted it to their Facebook and web pages. Mika and Joe were visibly upset about it. Mika pointed out that many of the anchors who were ordered to read that ridiculous statement on air are longtime veterans in their markets. MSNBC will likely show it all day today. One panelist suggested that this was an attempt by Sinclair to convince the Trump controlled FCC to approve the Tribune acquisition deal. Another suggested that it was the first step enroute to the establishment of a government owned TV network. Mika also wondered abiut the future careers, if any, for anchors who were ordered to read it on air. Can’t wait to see Rachel Maddow’s take on this tonight.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

I recall Fox News Channel doing their mission statement concerning journalistic responsibility on air near 15 years ago with Tony Snow reading the copy. FNC has run the “Fair and Balanced” promo since. Markets to what some say is an under served audience. Seems to work for News Corp.
    Seattle is a different beast. Portland TV news tends to be whatever is in the morning Oregonian will be on the two PM newscasts. KATU and OPB win a fair share of NW Emmys (hurry, entries are due at the end of this week). Main reason appears to be they have more time and resources to develop and report stories.
    Local is local. Nationals (ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC) seem to take DNC talking points and make that the lead story. The righteous indignation expressed by Network TV ‘faces’ is hypocracy.
    Sinclair Broadcasting is King Kong and now has a better Nielsen deal. It’s all about ratings. Why not continue to take shots at Trump TV?

Langston
    Participant

FOX News Channel is not a local channel and has its own nefarious reputation. Many of us have come to expect more from non-FOX local channels than a FOX-like mindset.

DanOregon
    Participant

The big difference with Fox News is that it isn’t regulated like over the air stations.
    As bad as it is for Sinclair to be exposed like this – I also imagine there might be a few members of Congress who realize the reach the company has (and this is before the Tribune merger). How many affiliates air in early primary states if someone wants to entertain a Presidential run? Eleven.

lastday
    Participant

Once again

I don’t give a shit what Sinclair wants to say EDITORIALLY as long as they take clear ownership. Mandating trusted local news people to read this script as if the locals came up with it all on their own is disgraceful, deceptive, and dangerous.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant
    DanOregon
    Participant

Of course, that station’s newscast is produced by the local CBS affiliate.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Not long ago, at all, I posed a question on a different forum, in which I asked why broadcasters stopped running editorials in the late 1980s. One of the answers that came back was that the practice of airing editorials never stopped, but with deregulation over stations being required to provide equal time for opposing viewpoints, stations simply stopped letting the audience know when they were consuming editorial content.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Precisely why Ronnie Ray-gun is to blame for the situation we have today. The Fairness Doctrine was heavily flawed, but striking it down without a replacement set of rules meant TV news broadcasting was totally self regulating and that was the big mistake. It’s also why TV op eds to this day often end with a disclaimer of how the material is not necessarily in agreement with the station’s views. Sinclair is already taking a lot of flak about this, but in the end it is all about money, not what’s right or wrong, good or bad, left or right. Remember what Hunter S. Thompson’s wrote in Generation of Swine: Tales of Shame and Degradation in the ’80s (New York: Summit Books, 1988) “The TV business is uglier than most things. It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason.
    Which is more or less true. For the most part, they are dirty little animals with huge brains and no pulse.”

Sinclair to a T.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Hi, I’m(A) ____________, and I’m (B) _______________…

(B) Our greatest responsibility is to serve our [local] communities. We are extremely proud of the quality, balanced journalism that [station] produces.

(A) But we’re concerned about the troubling trend of irresponsible, one-sided news stories plaguing our country. The sharing of biased and false news has become all too common on social media.

(B) More alarming, some media outlets publish these same fake stories … stories that just aren’t true, without checking facts first.

(A) Unfortunately, some members of the media use their platforms to push their own personal bias and agenda to control “exactly what people think.” … This is extremely dangerous to a democracy.

(B) At [station] it’s our responsibility to pursue and report the truth. We understand Truth is neither politically “left nor right.” Our commitment to factual reporting is the foundation of our credibility, now more than ever.

this is extremely dangerous to our democracy https://t.co/D1T8Z7J2Wn
    — Jimmy Kimmel (@jimmykimmel) April 1, 2018

Where is the smoke? Whose hair is on fire? Is Sinclair right?
    Methinks thou doth protest too much.

lastday
    Participant

It’s similar to the Kremlin dictating to Russian news stations EXACTLY what to say.

The message itself is ok. But I want Sinclair to own it and not pretend the local anchors dreamed it up.

Why is it so hard for Sinclair to do that? Is that unreasonable?

Sinclair Scares.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

I think everyone knows. Two Seattle TV stations ran the same promo but with different ‘meat puppets’.
    Where’s the beef? For acolytes it’s surloin. For others it’s soy.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“I think everyone knows.”

Me thinks thou doth over estimate the presence of intellect among most of the Sinclair viewership in Red America (where a majority of their licensees operate).

cbaravelli
    Spectator

I’ll keep politics on the other side of the fence.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.