Sinclair approaches Tribune Media about possible deal

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Sinclair approaches Tribune Media about possible deal

This topic contains 50 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Brown 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Sinclair Broadcast Group defended its proposed acquisition of Tribune Media as being in the public interest and vital to the health of broadcast television,

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/347631-sinclair-says-tribune-deal-is-necessary-for-broadcast-industry

Screamer
    Participant

There are four locally owned TV stations left in Oregon that I am aware of:

KWVT 17.1 in Salem
    KLSR 34.1 in Eugene
    KEVU 23.1 in Eugene
    KOBI 5.1 in Medford

for those complaining about Sinclair, you have other options.

lastday
    Participant

So, you approve of large corporate entities injecting slanted political commentary into local newscasts without identifying the source? Presenting said commentary as if the local station selected it?

I sincerely don’t care what Sinclair says. All I want is at least a token effort at transparency with regard to who’s saying it. I guess that’s too much to expect.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Transparency no longer required thanks to Ronnie Reagan.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on Thursday voted to roll back restrictions on media ownership, a proposal that critics say is helping to pave the way for a controversial merger and further consolidation in the industry.

The commission’s party-line vote clears the way for the common ownership of newspapers and broadcast stations in the same market. The proposal also eliminates a rule that prohibited television stations in the same market from merging if such a deal would leave less than eight different stations in that market.

The move has incensed critics, who see it as part of Republican FCC Chairman Ajit Pai’s efforts to benefit the Sinclair Broadcast Group, which is awaiting approval from the agency for its purchase of Tribune Media. The $3.9 billion deal that would let the combined company access 72 percent of the country’s television audience.

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/360665-fcc-rolls-back-media-regulations-in-move-that-critics-say-benefits-sinclair

Andy Brown
    Participant

And the more they deny it the more you know it’s true.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.