Sinclair and MGM Unwrap New Action Diginet – Charge!

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Sinclair and MGM Unwrap New Action Diginet – Charge!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

Why would Charge! go to KUNP 47? A LPTV with 15 KW? I would think that it would be on 2.4. Coverage on 43 (2) with full power would do much better.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

“KGW said they had no room.”

No room? No problem! Pack ’em in there and bit-starve everything till it all becomes a blocky unwatchable mess, than back the compression off slightly. Who cares how good the content looks, after all it’s not about programming it’s about selling commercial advertising time, right? Bandwidth is unlimited! Gee, I thought everybody knew that.

Well hey, that mentality seems to work for KPXG…

yahmit
    Participant

Great point. Living in Salem, I can’t receive KNUP so I guess Charge will not be in my viewing future.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Even as strange as it may sound, “some” Portland stations do care about the bit rate. Why else would METV now be in HD? We have nothing over 4 channels (OPB) out here, so I have no idea what 22 or 24 looks. 2 (3) 6 (3) 8 (3) 10 (4) and 12 (3). I was told by the CE at KATU with the new technology there can be a 4th channel without too much loss. Out here the 16 channels are good. I cannot expect SD to be as good as HD, but considering back in the day when these old shows were on, there was nothing as good as 480i. I have not heard back from KATU as yet regarding “Charge!”. I presume probably tomorrow. I would think KATU would want the best coverage being charge! a new channel. If you cannot get KUNP 47 in Salem, the coverage must be not too great, as Salem is right down into the valley and 40 miles from Portland. KUNP is supposed to be at the KATU site too. Digital just does not have the good coverage analog.

washnotore
    Participant

Over at facebook …The TeeVee Guyd page… Some posters in Eugene aren’t too happy. That KVAL/13 will be swapping out. This TV and Grit. for TBD and Charge! ..

msndrspdx
    Participant

All of the network stations in Portland have repeaters in Eugene, so those channels should still be available there. The TBD website streams TBD’s programs. Found the link to it thru the affiliate list on RabbitEars. Online, the ad breaks on TBD are filled with a red/blue/green TBD logo and the caption, “Back in a moment.” Apparently a lot of local ad opportunities on TBD. From what I saw, TBD didn’t seem to add up to much. But it’s still early and they’re just getting off the ground.

washnotore
    Participant

Just after one in the morning. And Grit on KUNP 47-3 has gone black. Must be getting ready for Charge!

David
    Participant

Yes, KUNP 47-3 runs Charge! now. smile!

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yes, per the e mail I got from the KATU this morning states the same thing about Charge! going to 47.3. I am surprised, as Sinclair claims they want the best coverage, and KUNP just doesn’t have it. Maybe they will move it to 2.4 in time. Nothing new on 2.4 as yet though.

washnotore
    Participant

This from the The Tee Vee Guyd Facebook Page.

https://www.facebook.com/TheTeeVeeGuyd/

Sinclair launched its new diginet, Charge!, this morning, much to the mayhem and irritation of those in Sinclair markets that lost other networks, like Me-TV, Antenna TV, Grit, getTV, and others.

FB pages for a number of diginets are seeing complaints left and right about the network changes. TBD, Sinclair’s other new diginet, has also launched and had the same effect in markets where it replaced a more liked, incumbent network.

Sinclair apparently has a deal with Titan Broadcasting, as stations run by that company have dropped The Works in favor of Charge! (at least in Los Angeles and Philadelphia, so far).

If you are in a market with a Sinclair-owned station (or stations), watch out, the diginet carnage is far from over.

Jbpdx
    Participant

Good thing we have two Sinclair stations here, giving us 4-6 subchannel spots. TBD probably won’t last long. Charge programming OK so far, unless they start drifting toward newer movies.

mwdxer1
    Participant

According to engineering at KATU, the addition or subtraction of diginets is not in their control. I wish we had KUNP out here, but being a LPTV, I really doubt we would ever see it. More apt that Charge! to be added on local cable or maybe satellite. Dish and Charter do carry some sub channel fare.

mwdxer1
    Participant

It was disappointing that KATU did not add Charge, but it looks like Charge does stream on their website. I will check it out. If it does, I should be able to cast it through Chromecast to the TV.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Charge and TBD both stream programming on their websites. Charge seems to be heavy on movies, and the programming schedule listed there shows listings for East and West feeds. Charge seems to have replaced METV in a number of places around the country, if a casual look around the listings on RabbitEars is accurate.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.