Simmering translator pot now boiling

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Simmering translator pot now boiling

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Media Institute for Social Change has filed an Application For Review in the 99.9 Bustos translator gambit wherein several FCC errors are underscored and challenged.

http://bit.ly/2Dp36cg

It ain’t over ’till it’s over.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Bustos’ Application for a Construction Permit for a translator in Portland on 101.5 MHz to rebroadcast KRYN (AM) 1230, Gresham has been dismissed. As previously reported and discussed, the proposal would clearly interfere with KXYQ-LP, Portand’s established audience. The actual objection that was granted was David Kyle’s (filed in November) that put the various informal objections previously filed into a single objection with proper presentation and supportive material. Thanks to Mr. Kyle.

Read all about it:

http://bit.ly/2SuFAie

Andy Brown
    Participant

The Republican controlled FCC has (a few months ago, in fact) changed the rules to resolve interference issues in the large battle between commercial broadcasters trying to save their AM licenses by licensing FM translators. Clearly, many non profit non commercial LPFMs have had to muster the resources to object to these translator proposals through the FCC process and many of them did an excellent job in getting listener affidavits as per the FCC rules in place before this change, and it appeared that large group big money broadcasters were not going to get their translators. Many of these proposals were keyhole proposals, squeezing low power translators in-between LPFMs and in some cases other existing Class D service translators. That would be counter to the wishes of the NAB and Republican politicians in general. So, in somewhat of a hurried manner, the FCC pushed through a new set of rules to be applied to future applicants and all existing unresolved cases involving proposed translators and existing LPFMs. LPFMs are now scrambling to put together yet another showing for the FCC to keep the blight of commercial translators from interfering with the listenership they have developed.

Here’s a brief overview:

https://recnet.com/node/2833

The entire document:

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-19-40A1.pdf

Recnet has developed a tool for determining whether a listener location is inside or outside the new critical 45 dBu contour. It is located at:

https://recnet.com/ud

You need 20 listeners outside your 45 dBu contour (and within the proposed translator’s 60 dBu contour) or 5 listeners inside your 45 dBu contour (and within the proposed translator’s 60 dBu contour). The former is the better defense as the latter can be overcome by the translator proposal being reduced slightly in power. 20 listeners outside the LPFMs 45 dBu contour would be a lot more difficult to resolve for the translator proposal by simply reducing power to shrink their 60 dBu until the listener affidavit addresses are all outside the proposed 60 dBu contour or rotating a proposed DA to clear a small pocket of listeners. The more spread out the 20 addresses are (within the proposed 60 dBu), the better. Please forward this information to any LPFM principals you know.

Maps showing the proposed translator 60 dBu contour are part of the translator’s records available online and most easily accessed at https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/fm-query. After bringing up the translators record, you will have the option of downloading/viewing the proposed 60 dBu contour on a variety of maps or (recommended) the kml file which after downloading can be used in Google Earth. The Google Earth app is more user friendly when trying to zoom into a particular street address of one of your potential LPFM listener affidavits to see if it is inside the proposed translator 60 dBu. To establish whether that location is within or outside the LPFM 45 dBu contour, use the tool linked above. To draw an LPFM’s 45 dBu contour you need broadcast engineering software to create the contour and put it on a map overlay or generate the .kml file for Google Earth, but using the method I described above you won’t need to have that.

msndrspdx
    Participant

KISN’s Facebook page just posted an animated message that “a major announcement is coming soon.” No hint as to what that announcement deals with. Stay tuned.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Pretty sure what they will be doing is asking for listeners outside their 45 dBu contour and inside the proposed translator’s 60 dBu contour to fill out an online form affidavit to use in their amendment to their petition to deny Bustos application, so as to be in compliance with rules changes since they filed it. Using electronic signatures will allow them to expedite this process (way faster than having to mail out forms and waiting for folks to mail them back).

Screamer
    Participant

<<Pretty sure what they will be doing is asking for listeners outside their 45 dBu contour and inside the proposed translator’s 60 dBu contour to fill out an online form affidavit to use in their amendment to their petition to deny Bustos application>>

That is allowed? I was under the impression that stations were not allowed to solicit such things openly.

Always appreciate you on this board, Andy! The old dog keeps learning new things.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“I was under the impression that stations were not allowed to solicit such things openly.”

What do you mean by “such things?” Asking for listeners to certify that they listen through feedback on an online connection seems quite innocuous to me. It’s not related to money. It’s like asking listeners to vote for the station in another media survey, like ‘Best Station In Town.’ It boils down to a plea to help us make our case.

Screamer
    Participant

Fair enough. I had it in my head (and maybe it was because of a PD I worked for in the 80’s) that you could not openly solicit listeners for station benefit with the FCC or Arbitron. This is why I ask!!

semoochie
    Participant

“Pretty sure what they will be doing is asking for listeners outside their 45 dBu contour and inside the proposed translator’s 60 dBu contour to fill out an online form affidavit to use in their amendment to their petition to deny Bustos application, so as to be in compliance with rules changes since they filed it. Using electronic signatures will allow them to expedite this process (way faster than having to mail out forms and waiting for folks to mail them back).” Then again, it could be in response to this: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101809152&formid=318&fac_num=196425

Andy Brown
    Participant

Link to blank 318 form?

Is this to what you are referring?

http://bit.ly/2MJ6KTJ

Todd’s attempt to make the 95.1 situation even more distressing. It will be interesting to see if the FCC resolves the Bustos gambit first or just grants the KVBE minor amendment (move), which would have less impact on KISN than the Bustos APP.

semoochie
    Participant

I didn’t show a blank form. It’s an LPFM on 95.1, employing the KQRZ-LP tower.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Today, your link is working properly. I went to it four times yesterday and got a blank form. Probably FCC servers issue.

Previous to that filing, though, I discussed KISN’s response to the rules changes with Ken (#1 guy @ KISN-LP) and their already filed paperwork on that case. As it was still unresolved the new rules do apply to them meaning they have to amend their filing. So they were already getting ready to roll out what they needed to do to continue to stay ahead of Bustos, and unless they file both an amendment to their petition against Bustos and a new petition against KVBE-LP, it’s all about cutting off Bustos.

While this latest filing may or may not speed things up at the FCC, it really has limited bearing on what has already been filed. Most likely, Bustos will lose and KVBE will be granted, but it’s far enough away that it won’t interfere. I doubt the proposed KVBE 60 dBu will contain any KISN-LP listeners. Besides, that would be a separate filing. Read through Todd’s somewhat confusing engineering report I linked to and you can see for yourself.

semoochie
    Participant

See below.

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you. I have since heard the Kisn announcement and you’re certainly on the right track. I couldn’t find anything about Bustos on CDBS. It referred to Way-FM but that might have been when it was still in Longview on 89.5. ” I doubt the proposed KVBE 60 dBu will contain any KISN-LP listeners.” Probably not in their 60dbu contour but you can hear Kisn in downtown Beaverton, among other places, to varying degrees.

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.