Simmering translator pot now boiling

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Simmering translator pot now boiling

This topic contains 88 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  semoochie 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • Author

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Has KISN-LP moved yet? Reception in Milwaukie has gotten crappy.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“KYTE-AM will be granted a translator. It is a FULL SERVICE STATION.”

Hey, I’m trying to see where you’re going, but for some reason you appear to think that a full service station’s licensee when applying for a translator somehow makes the proposed translator a primary service application. It doesn’t.

Yes KYTE AM is full service, but it’s proposed translator is not. Proposed translators, even AM Revitalization ones, are TRANSLATORS and are secondary service. This boils down to a new secondary service application whose proposal will interfere with existing secondary service coverage and is bound by translator rules covered under 74.1204.

73.809 (a) If a full service commercial or NCE FM facility application is filed subsequent to the filing of an LPFM station

does not apply as an AM Revitalization translator application is not for a primary service, it is for a secondary service. A fill in so to speak as it must be inside the AM contour of the primary station. Still, you are granting the application full service status. You would be hard pressed to show why that is so.

I suggest you read Michelle Bradley’s review here:

https://recnet.com/translator-interference

Also, to date, several of the local attempts for AM Revitalization translators by Salem Media have been thrown out because of objections, one by full service KHPE on 107.9 and one by secondary service KXRU-LP on 105.5. By your interpretation, that second case wouldn’t have happened. Again, YOU need to re-read some stuff, especially 74.1204(f) which states:

(f) An application for an FM translator station will not be accepted for filing even though the proposed operation would not involve overlap of field strength contours with any other station, as set forth in paragraph (a) of this section, if the predicted 1 mV/m field strength contour of the FM translator station will overlap a populated area already receiving a regularly used, off-the-air signal of any authorized co-channel, first, second or third adjacent channel broadcast station, including Class D (secondary) noncommercial educational FM stations and grant of the authorization will result in interference to the reception of such signal.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=999c6315b0d2535bbb1d4d9c480d2c6d&mc=true&node=se47.4.74_11204&rgn=div8

If what you think is applicable really was, then explain why Salem Media wasn’t granted their AM Revitalization bid for 105.5 in light of KXRU’s objection.

FCC threw it out. Here’s their decision: PRMC is KXRU, the original application for 107.9 was amended to 105.5 but is included in the FCC discussion.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=81936

Now, cbaravelli, please explain your POV. I just don’t get what you’re saying.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Salem Media v. PNRC [KXRU-LP] is the best guide we have.
    Salem lost because of 94.3 mHz KZZR-FM, then to 100kW K-Hope – Albany and then KXRU-LP demonstrates qualified listener affidavits.
    We are arguing in a vacuum. I have an older Anritsu MS272. I’ll stand on street corners and measure everybody’s 1 mV/m if someone writes the check.

W7PAT
    Participant

KYTE-AM? Where is that? I don’t find a listing for it.

jr_tech
    Participant

“Has KISN-LP moved yet? Reception in Milwaukie has gotten crappy.”

Still about the same (weak, a little scratchy) in Hillsboro, with my antenna peaking at about 110-120 degrees.

Andy Brown
    Participant

No, they haven’t moved. The CP is there just in case so I was told by Ken at WORC.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Well, something has happened to KISN’s signal since about a week ago. I can’t listen to it any more in Milwaukie.

P.S. I got a new car a couple weeks ago. Maybe it’s the radio.

jr_tech
    Participant

Can you get your old car back? 🙂

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

No, but I might take this one to the dealer. Other stations seem weak, too. The antenna is in the rear window.

(We now return this thread to translators.)

Borderblaster
    Participant

Got to luv it when 95-1 KBBY Ventura covers up that piece of shit PDX translator in PDX! this afternoon…Ooh Baby Baby

Andy Brown
    Participant

WORC (Western Oregon Radio Club) has replied (filed 6/11) to Bustos’ opposition (filed 5/31) to three petitions to deny their (Bustos’) 95.1 translator gambit.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101786607&qnum=5000&copynum=1&exhcnum=2

Andy Brown
    Participant

PRMC (Portland Russian Media Center) has replied (filed 6/12) to Bustos’ opposition (filed 5/31) to PRMC’s petition to deny their (Bustos’) 105.5 translator gambit.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101786670&qnum=5000&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

In both the 95.1 and 105.5 situations, Bustos’ has basically acknowledged the claims made by the petitioner’s and is putting all its marbles on its interpretation of what rules apply and which rules don’t apply. It’s not really a good strategy IMO since both of Bustos’ applications (actually all three if you include the proposed translator on 101.5) are applications for a translator station and clearly fall under the Part 74 rules. To claim that they don’t (which is in essence what they are saying) have to protect LPFMs when the Part 74 rules clearly state to the contrary is grasping at straws, plastic ones at that.

Bustos’ translator application on 101.5 may succeed since the LPFM under attack is not well enough organized (apparently) to mount a solid complaint. Four informal objections have been filed, but you need 6 when each objection is just one person.

Andy Brown
    Participant

It now appears that Bustos’ translator application on 101.5 now has a sufficient number of informal objections filed against it to be qualified under the rules in Part 74 to prevent its approval.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/corrp_list.pl?Application_id=1779829&File_Prefix=BNPFT&App_Arn=20171212AAB&Facility_id=201227

Andy Brown
    Participant

The latest filing in response to the denial of the encompassing informal objection by Prometheus, CIMA and Common Frequency against all AM Revitalization FM translator applications. FCC dated yesterday, July 9.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101788278&qnum=5000&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

tombrooks
    Participant

I’ll be the first to admit I don’t get all these filings, with that being said, all these Petitions to Re-consider – how many times can the big guys do this – I thought I heard the number was 2 times (twice) and that was it. With small non-profits having to fight the big radio conglomerates, it won’t take to much to drain them of what little money they make to pay the light bill Via Attorney Fees… I love Attorney’s, but they are expensive. The FCC should have some type of low cost appeal process…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.