Signing Off in Seattle: Pat O’Day

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Signing Off in Seattle: Pat O’Day

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant
    Dan Packard
    Keymaster

An amazing personality with a great ear for talent. Altho this 1959 aircheck doesn’t reveal his incredible broadcast achievements of the 1960’s and 70’s, it’s an interesting listen. KAYO was the first station Pat worked in Seattle, before moving on to KJR.

Here’s an old aircheck I just uncovered, with Pat from a few years later on KJR. It’s “World’s Fair Fun Time”,

Pat O’Day, KJR Seattle, June 1962 (28 minutes)

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Dan Packard.
    semoochie
    Participant

I remember him turning KXA into an Oldies station.

mwdxer1
    Participant

How sad. One of the greats, if not the greatest from NW Radio. Listened to him for years and even met him a couple of times. RIP my friend.

dialtwirler
    Participant

I grew up listening to Pat O’Day and KJR in the Sixties. I gained even more appreciation for O’Day after I read his memoir, “It Was All Just Rock-‘n’-Roll II; A Return to the Center of the Radio & Concert Universe” (Ballard Publishing, Inc., 2003). It is an insightful, engrossing read. Highly recommended.

paulwalker
    Participant

A Seattle legend. He guided KJR by allowing his jocks to be themselves and give them latitude to wonder outside of a tight format. He was also a great concert promoter. He will forever have a footprint on Seattle radio.

paulwalker
    Participant

Dan, that ‘59 aircheck is quite rare. Not much exists, atleast publically, from that decade. I found that very interesting especially that Seattle had traffic issues even back then. But you and I were newborns that year!

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

That ’59 aircheck is of exceedingly good quality as well. Thanks for posting both of them, Dan. I’ll be using a portion of each on my Radio Archive show, along with parts of a 2009 interview, Saturday at noon, repeated Sunday at noon at kocf.org, the LPFM in Veneta. I’ll give you and PDX Radio a shout out as well.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant
    Dan Packard
    Keymaster

Randy, I just caught your program on KOCF. Good work with the Pat O’day retrospective!

Yes Paul, traffic problems on the old highway 99 thru Seattle (Aurora avenue). It was the main route north and south before I-5 was fully completed in 1967.

Since everybody listened to the radio and had one in their car (except my Dad who didn’t fix the radio in the car until 1968), traffic broadcasts were the Waze of its time.

paulwalker
    Participant

A bygone era for sure, where one DJ could be so powerful in one city, as O’Day was in the 60’s. Pat was also known as a big hydroplane fan, always seemingly a part of radio coverage of the Seafair event every August, even after he left KJR. A different era today, the races hardly get much attention these days.

He was one of the FM innovators with top40 on his KYYX in 1977, but it was somewhat clunky and went through numerous format/call changes into the 80’s. I’m not sure Seattle was ready for top40 on FM in the 70’s.

But in the end, probably the most influential radio broadcaster in Seattle history. RIP.

chessyduck
    Participant

The Islands’ Sounder, the newpaper/e-news of the San Juan Islands even covered his passing. The article has embedded a link to lengthy Washington State Pat O’ Day profile.

“Radio legend and San Juan Islander Pat O’Day dies”
    by Mandi Johnson , Mon Aug 10th, 2020 10:35am

Radio legend and San Juan Islander Pat O’Day dies

Profile is here:
    https://www.sos.wa.gov/_assets/legacy/pat-o-day-profile.pdf

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.