Should the US buy Greenland?

This topic contains 34 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  missing_kskd 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Vitalogy
    Participant

And Paul, has Trump gained or lost total voters since 2016? While he’s certainly shored up his ultra idiotized base, I think he’s at a negative loss overall with voters.

This is why Dem’s need to have a nominee that can win MI, WI, and PA.

paulwalker
    Participant

Agreed. Those States, plus Florida will decide.

(inside to Dan…I am trying!)

Andrew
    Participant

Vitalogy: “And Paul, has Trump gained or lost total voters since 2016? While he’s certainly shored up his ultra idiotized base, I think he’s at a negative loss overall with voters.”

Indeed, his net approval rating in numerous states he won in 2016 is under water:

Pennsylvania -8%
    Michigan: -11%
    Wisconsin: -14%
    Iowa: -11%
    Arizona: -7%

In Florida and North Carolina? Only down -1%. But Democrats don’t need to win either one of those in 2020 to beat Trump, if they win three of the five above.

https://morningconsult.com/tracking-trump-2/

Andrew
    Participant

I don’t put a lot of faith either in polls now saying who will win next November. Such early polls have historically been meaningless.

Personally, though, I believe there are enough disgruntled independent swing voters who are desperate for an alternative to Trump that they can stomach that if the Democrats can just nominate someone voters don’t hate (like Hillary Clinton!), someone who is competent and respectable, that might be more than enough to sink Trump. All of the current crop of Democratic nominees are flawed in some way – they are all a risk against Trump. But Biden might be our best bet.

But if we nominate Elizabeth “Take Away Your Private Insurance” Warren? I think we are probably doomed.

Broadway
    Participant

Keeping on track…latest breaking on topic…
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-cancels-visit-denmark-pm-greenland

paulwalker
    Participant

Hold your nose. Biden. Best answer.

Andy Brown
    Participant

semoochie
    Participant

Did I mention that I’m terrified that if he loses the election, he’ll have two and half months to completely destroy the country, out of spite, before the next inauguration?

Brianl
    Participant

I’m convinced that if (hopefully when) Trump loses in 2020, he will refuse to concede defeat and will do everything in his power to overturn said defeat. Through the courts, through his BFFs at Fox News, through Twitter, through the Republicans on Capitol Hill. It could drag out a long, long time.

radiogeek
    Participant

I’m all in that TRUMP should buy Greenland (not the USA).

When it melts under his feet, then he might realize global warming is real!

Andy Brown
    Participant

Brian, imagine the most extreme scenario, with Congress certifying drumpf’s defeat but drumpf refusing to leave office. In those circumstances, the military would no longer owe its loyalty to drumpf as of noon on January 20, 2021.

https://cnn.it/2Zj3xwb

Even if Trump refused to concede, it doesn’t mean he’d manage to remain in office. John Roberts has worried publicly about the credibility of the Supreme Court. It seems unlikely that he would “save” drumpf from a less-than-ambiguous electoral defeat. Democratic governors in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin form a formidable roadblock against local Republican power grabs. Faced with incontrovertible evidence that drumpf lost—and no plausible pathway to mess with the outcome—Congressional leaders would probably tell Trump to pack his bags.

https://washingtonmonthly.com/?p=96005

Did you read what drumpf said in a campaign rally in New Hampshire the other day? That’s why his defeat must be clear and overwhelming.

http://bit.ly/2HioFwk

I think it will be. His national victory in ’16 will be proven to be fraudulent eventually, but to make him just go away in ’20 will require a convincing defeat in enough states to make a few electoral votes from his close losses being challenged meaningless. I think we’re more than halfway there.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/general_election/

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Did you see what appeared to be yet another attempt by F&B to crash the party? It was in the thread “Is This How The Republican Party Dies.” The homepage showed a first post by a new member named tweeter (or something close to that) but if you clicked on the post it came up as not there.

No, I missed that one.

Somebody needs to be keeping track of all his sockpuppets over the last 15 or so years. Start a scorecard, I predict he’ll crawl back out from under his rock and be on here in full force starting next year if not late this year.

I don’t know if it was a WordPress glitch or Dan has it set up so you can’t sign up and post in the politics side without posting on the radio side first (if that’s possible).

Much as I disagree with most of his policies and believe he’s obviously suffering some sort of personality disorder (read through some of his other posts elsewhere on that site), this guy at least had the right idea here and Dan really should implement most if not all these policies in the politics side:

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f11/t000008.html

But then he closed his site’s politics side eventually because, predictably, it turned into yet another you’re-either-with-me-or-against-me pissing match and right properly (assuming he had a choice) implemented a site-wide ban on all political/religious discussion.

There is an appropriate time and place for everything and a broadcasting-related forum is not an appropriate time or place to discuss politics and religion, unless the issue in controversy can be shown to relate directly to broadcasting.

lastday
    Participant

There’s a forum for bassists appropriately named talkbass.com. It’s a VERY active board. They absolutely forbid any discussion related to politics, religion, or guns. I and many others love that forum precisely because those topics are forbidden.

Andrew
    Participant

Brian: “I’m convinced that if (hopefully when) Trump loses in 2020, he will refuse to concede defeat and will do everything in his power to overturn said defeat. Through the courts, through his BFFs at Fox News, through Twitter, through the Republicans on Capitol Hill. It could drag out a long, long time.”

I agree that Trump will refuse to concede defeat and will do his best to de-legitimize his successor, should he lose. But as Andy says, if Congress certifies someone else in January 2021, then that person will become the next president at noon on January 20, 2021, no matter what Trump says or does. He may scream and whine and tweet, but it won’t change that.

He would have a limited amount of time to challenge election results in various states – but it is Congress who decided whom to certify, not the courts.

The worst-case scenario I can imagine is that Trump manages to prevent certain states from submitting electors to Congress in January in time for certification – and if one candidate doesn’t have 270 electoral votes at that time, then the House – by a vote of each state delegation – would choose the next president and the Senate the VP. This would be the NEXT congress, the one elected in 2020. A Democratic majority wouldn’t play in necessarily; it would come down to state delegations, each of whom gets one vote. I haven’t done the math today, but that would mean at least 26 state delegations in the House would have to vote for the Democrat. Are there 26 blue states? There may not be – there are a lot of little red states, and in this type of vote, they would get a lot more power than in a normal House procedure.

lastday
    Participant

My concern is in a very close election, the 30%-35% of the country that actually believes he is the chosen one will get very riled up. They’ll claim voter fraud, rigged voting machines, and whatever else they can use to delegitimize the outcome. Trump will stoke that fire to the bitter end. He will claim a coup is taking place. It could get ugly and chosen one will like it that way.

Actually physically getting him out of the WH might be the easy part.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.