SF's Borderlands Books Going Out of Business

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things SF's Borderlands Books Going Out of Business

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    moloch
    Participant
    duxrule
    Participant

That story reads more like a convenient excuse, rather than a contributing factor.

Amus
    Participant

If a business cannot survive paying their employees a living wage they have no business being in business.

jerry1949
    Spectator

Online bookstores with employees who are paid less will get the business that price controls sadly destroyed.

It’s so much better that teenagers sit at home mooching off mom and dad since they can’t get a government mandated “living wage” job.

It would be refreshing if just once there would be some serious reflection about the amount of money going to government workers and retirees, and consideration of the fact that the enormous shift of wealth in their direction reduces what is left over to pay “living wages” to the real working class.

duxrule
    Participant

BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Did you REALLY write that? You REALLY think that “government workers and retirees” are the problem? “Retirees” EARNED what those pensions and whatever pittance they get from the “retirement programs” that their gracious employers tossed their way. Most government workers also fall under that umbrella (I would exclude anyone who was in Congress)How about some of these CEO’s take only say, 300% over a worker’s wage, instead of the 1000% or so that some of these guys make?

http://go.bloomberg.com/multimedia/ceo-pay-ratio/

We continually go back to a company like Costco. They pay their workers a fair and decent wage, and are still hugely profitable. It can’t be that hard, if Costco is doing it in the cutthroat, small-margin sector they play in.

Amus
    Participant

And Companies (like Walmart) that will not pay their employees a living wage are subsidized by the Government when their Employees rely on food stamps to eat and when they get sick and have no health insurance.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-taxpayers-subsidized-walmart-execs-pay/

But that’s OK with good ol’ “Christian” F&B since the poor are just lazy SOB’s anyway.

Like this lazy bitch!

Vitalogy
    Participant

What a bunk article.

I’d like to know how many employees this bookstore employs. If a small hike in the minimum wage is the difference between being in business and being out of business, then it’s not a viable business.

I’d say the issue is more due to poor business management, and the fact that they are in the book selling business, where prices are controlled by the publisher. Book stores will be going the way of the Blockbuster Video soon.

Brianl
    Participant

You reap what you sow.

Costco is a PERFECT example. They pay their people a livable wage, and treat them incredibly well. Conversely, their turnover is very low, their morale is very high, that morale is passed on to the customer, and everyone wins.

Costco’s profit margin is very good, despite their (mostly) competitive prices, and a LOT of that has to do with the fact that they spend very little in employee turnover. It is so much cheaper to get the hire right the first time, pay them a good wage for their services, give them good benefits, and show that you appreciate them and their contributions than it is to keep the revolving door open to your minimum wage workers, just to make a buck.

F&B, you don’t have any experience whatsoever in retail, restaurant management, or anything of the sort. It might behoove you to actually listen to those of us who do have that experience.

Broadway
    Participant

Is this a I told you so article or what…and yes I have over a dozen years in retail and still currently employed.
    We’ll see more of this…a lot more.

skeptical
    Participant

“We’ll see more of this…a lot more.”

Have you been praying for this to happen?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The article neglects to emphasize an obvious but critical fact–amazon.com, ebay, and other online retailers are dealing a death blow to bookstores, particularly independent stores like this one. Borderlands Books has its devoted fans, but there aren’t enough of them anymore to keep the doors open. 🙁

Amus
    Participant

“We stand for a living wage”
    Teddy Roosevelt

Wages are subnormal if they fail to provide a living for those who devote their time and energy to industrial occupations.
    The monetary equivalent of a living wage varies according to local conditions, but must include:

enough to secure the elements of a normal standard of living–

a standard high enough to make morality possible,

to provide for education and recreation,

to care for immature members of the family,

to maintain the family during periods of sickness,

and to permit of reasonable saving for old age.”

Is this an outmoded notion?
    Should it be normal and acceptable to work two or three part time jobs and still have trouble making ends meet?

I still maintain that if you are not paying a living wage, you are in effect using the taxpayers to subsidize your business.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I recall from my German classes and from first-hand accounts of people who have traveled in Europe that stores in Europe tend to employ fewer people than their counterparts in the US. This is because they must pay their employees more. They do manage to keep the doors open but for the customer, it is harder to find salespeople when help is needed with the merchandise.

I haven’t been to Borderlands Books, but I suspect that they were pushed into a corner by the changing book retail landscape, and the wage increase was just the last straw. They might have already cut the staff to an absolute minimum or they might have figured that if they did cut the staff to just a few cashiers, the bad customer service experience would drive their few remaining customers out the door.

Vitalogy
    Participant

http://borderlands-books.blogspot.com/

The business makes $3000 a year before depreciation (which means it made alot more than $3000) and the owner pays himself $28K.

And, he’s closing down the business BEFORE the changes go into affect. So, minimum wage has nothing to do with it. This is just a case of a bitter self employed person working in a dying industry that is unwilling to adapt to a changing market.

Broadway
    Participant

>>Have you been praying for this to happen?
    Nope
    >> a dying industry that is unwilling to adapt to a changing market
    Most of retail is a “dying” industry and with half your costs of doing business being payroll and it jumping up 50% in a few years…that’s the killer. Simple math here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.