Sex Allegations Against Roy Moore Send Republicans Reeling

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Sex Allegations Against Roy Moore Send Republicans Reeling

This topic contains 33 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Langston 2 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Vitalogy
    Participant

Hey, at least it wasn’t boys.

paulwalker
    Participant

I get your satire here Vit. As if it is somewhat more OK to molest girls than boys. Typical conservative thinking. Sad.

Vitalogy
    Participant

It’s not okay to molest one sex over the other. My surprise is that his targets were girls rather than boys. I would have put my money on boys given his history.

Andrew
    Participant

Here’s an argument that Democrats should put everything into the Alabama Senate race (written before these sex allegations surfaces):

https://www.vox.com/2017/9/26/16368988/doug-jones-roy-moore-opponent

It is still a long shot, in Alabama, but not impossible.

Amus
    Participant

And think of the psychological effect.

Alabama GOP responds to Roy Moore allegations, after weeks of outrage over Harvey Weinstein;

(cognitive dissonance runs strong with this crowd)

“There is nothing to see here,” Zeigler told The Washington Examiner. “The allegations are that a man in his early 30s dated teenage girls. Even the Washington Post report says that he never had sexual intercourse with any of the girls and never attempted sexual intercourse.”

“They got some pictures? That’ll do,” Alabama State Rep. Ed Henry, Donald Trump’s Alabama campaign co-chairman, told TPM. “You can’t sit on something like this for thirty-something years with a man as in the spotlight as Roy Moore and all of a sudden three weeks before a senatorial primary all of a sudden these three or four women are going to talk about something in 1979? I call bull. It’s as fabricated as the day is long.”

Alabama Bibb County Republican chairman Jerry Pow told the Star’s Dale that he’d vote for Moore even if he had committed a sex crime against a teenage girl.

“I would vote for Judge Moore because I wouldn’t want to vote for Doug [Jones],” Pow said, referring to Moore’s election opponent. “I’m not saying I support what he did.”

My personal favorite;

“He’s clean as a hound’s tooth,” Ziegler claimed, before relying on Scripture to defend Moore.

“Take the Bible. Zachariah and Elizabeth for instance. Zachariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist,” Ziegler said choosing his words carefully before invoking Christ. “Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus.”

“There’s just nothing immoral or illegal here,” Ziegler concluded. “Maybe just a little bit unusual.”

This kind of misses the whole point of immaculate conception doesn’t it?

And how clean is a hound’s tooth anyway?

Langston
    Participant

How clean? To find out you have to go to Alabama where the hounds need a lot of dental work.

cbaravelli
    Participant

17 years earlier, Jerry Lee “Great Balls of Fire” Lewis married his 13 year old “country cousin”. He takes his wife on tour to England. Suspended his career.
    Senator John McCain has called for Moore to withdraw. Seems to forget back in 2008, NYT publishes then Presidential candidate was having an “affair” with a lobbyist. First wife was very ill at the time so the story had traction. Allegation was a lie. All’s fair in love, politics and war.
    A reporter on the WaPost story is a self identidied “women’s activist” and has past criminal conviction for fraud.
    Meh.

Langston
    Participant

While all of the above may be true, Roy Moore is still a pedophile and the voters of Alabama can show their revulsion or endorsement of such conduct. Regardless of the outcome of the election the Democrats benefit. Either they take the seat next month or use an elected Moore as a Republican poster boy for the 2018 elections

Vitalogy
    Participant

This is getting worse by the hour.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/national-republican-senatorial-committee-ends-joint-fundraising-agreement-with-roy-moore-campaign/2017/11/10/f393278c-c62e-11e7-84bc-5e285c7f4512_story.html?utm_term=.cc9a20c7d3ac

Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore declined Friday to rule out that he may have dated girls in their late teens when he was in his 30s, though he said he did not remember any such encounters and described such behavior as inappropriate.

“If I did, I’m not going to dispute these things, but I don’t remember anything like that,” Moore said on Sean Hannity’s radio program, when asked whether he had dated 17- or 18-year-old girls at the time.

Vitalogy
    Participant

And then there’s this! Just disgusting.

Some of Moore’s supporters questioned the credibility of Corfman and the other women, following the campaign line of why they had not come forward sooner and whether the “liberal media” was just out to take down Moore.

But, Alabama’s state auditor, Jim Ziegler, took his defense into a whole new realm, telling the Washington Examiner, “There is nothing to see here. The allegations are that a man in his early 30s dated teenage girls. Even the Washington Post report says that he never had sexual intercourse with any of the girls, and never attempted sexual intercourse.”

Calling this “dating” is an assault on common sense but also on the law.

The Washington Post points out that, “The legal age of consent in Alabama, then and now, is 16. Under Alabama law in 1979, and today, a person who is at least 19 years old who has sexual contact with someone older than 12 and younger than 15 has committed sexual abuse in the second degree. Sexual contact is defined as touching of sexual or intimate parts. The crime is a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail.”

But then Ziegler couldn’t stop himself. He decided to quote the Bible — very badly — to defend his candidate.
    “Take the Bible — Zachariah and Elizabeth, for instance. Zachariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist,” Ziegler said. “Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus.

“There’s just nothing immoral or illegal here,” Ziegler said. “Maybe just a little bit unusual.”

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2017/11/judge_roy_moore_joseph_and_mar.html

Brianl
    Participant

Comparing John McCain’s fidelity issues (while, not on the moral up-and-up, IS legal, between two consenting adults) to pedophilia is just wrong.

Moore has admitted to “dating” teenagers, when he was in his 30s. Of course, his memory is a bit jogged in regards to sexual contact with a 14 year old.

Leave it to Alabama, where his supporters claim he’s “as clean as a hound’s tooth”, to accept this, and vote Moore in as the junior Senator from their fine state.

Another All-Star from God’s Special Education team.

Vitalogy
    Participant

This is why Moore is probably going to win anyway:

Of more than 15 Republican voters in Alabama interviewed by NBC News, none said their support for Moore would change.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/alabama-republican-voters-stand-roy-moore-n819906

Most said they didn’t believe the allegations and some said even if they are true, that wouldn’t sway their vote for him next month because they think Moore is a good man, should be forgiven and they could never bring themselves to vote for a Democrat anyway. Several attacked the media.

Outside the local convenience store, a woman who gave her name as Carol said she has known Moore her whole life and called him a good man. Carol doesn’t believe Moore’s accusers, but she said even if the allegations are true, “there’s a thing called grace — God’s grace,” noting that the allegations are decades old.

Inside the store, a man who declined to give his name said, “This is Republican town, man. (Moore) could have killed Obama, and we wouldn’t care.”

Cox, of the Greenwood Baptist Church, said as long as Moore is on the ballot, the GOP candidate would have his support.

“Everything else,” Cox said, “is for the Lord to sort out.”

Andrew
    Participant

Yeah, it wouldn’t be a surprise if Moore wins anyway. Look at what happened to Donald Trump after the “grab ’em by the pussy” tape came out: he won Alabama 62-34.

However, I wouldn’t put a lot of faith in what people tell reporters. These stories do have a way of depressing turnout even if they don’t change people’s minds, and this is a special election which will probably have low turnout. Doug Jones actually seems like a decent candidate for Alabama – he should do much better against Moore than Clinton did against Trump there.

Amus
    Participant

It’s Alabama folks.

Pedophilia and incest are woven into the fabric.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I just heard a soundbite of Moore on CBS Radio, first claiming the allegations are completely false, then in the next sentence said it happened over 30 years ago. Which is it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.