Senate Impeachment Trial

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant

I have listened to some of it and watched some of it. I think it’s actually going great for the Democrats so far. I think Adam Schiff is doing a masterful job at presenting the case for the House.

No, I didn’t think there was any chance Trump would be removed at the outset, and I think that’s long since stopped being a realistic goal, whether witnesses are called or not. At this point, it’s all about making the case to the American people and hanging an “I voted for acquittal” sign around each Republican senator’s neck going into the 2020 election – and making the story crystal clear for all Americans. Sure, few Republicans will be moved to change their minds, but some independents might next fall. And those are the voters who matter the most.

paulwalker
    Participant

Yes, agreed. This is all about the 2020 election. Gives the dems some leverage but at the risk of revving up his base.

semoochie
    Participant

Trump just said that if he’s re-elected, he’ll consider cutting entitlement programs including social security! Does this seem like good strategy when a huge portion of his base is older men?

Andy Brown
    Participant

It will be difficult for the GOP to generate an equal and opposite presentation based on day 1. I think after tomorrow and Friday, the Senate Republicans will be in a state of higher entropy. Everyone was certain it was a done deal across the board. I think witnesses will appear and not including drumpf sideshow witnesses like Hunter or Joe Biden and the documentation will want to be seen as well, which could be devastating for drumpf. Nixon had a pretty strong hold on the GOP until he was forced to release the tapes. It really comes down to what the constituents in the GOP districts have to say to their Senators over the weekend. Faux does themselves a disservice by talking over the proceedings, forcing many of their faithful viewers to other channels because they do want to hear it. At least some of them. drumpf’s true core will be shrinking by some unknown percentage, but the Senators will fold when they see their future hangs in the balance.

semoochie
    Participant

…and now he’s done this to the drinking water supply: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-admin-rolls-back-protections-for-waterways-aiding-developers It must be pretty awful, if this is the Fox News take!

Andrew
    Participant

Paul: “Yes, agreed. This is all about the 2020 election. Gives the dems some leverage but at the risk of revving up his base.”

I’d argue his base would have been revved up either way – but I can imagine the Democratic base having been demoralized had the Democratic House not gone forward with impeachment. They would have been angry at their own party; I want them to be angry at Trump in November, not angry at the Democratic House.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

I suppose it’s not the wisest position, but I’m simply waiting for the Dems to find their candidate, pick a running mate, and then pitch my tent in defeating Trump.

I’ve not had the time to watch the impeachment trial, only catching a few snippets online. The GOPs response will be probably pretty predictable and may move quickly to get a vote taken. I doubt we will see documents and witnesses…that would coup if it happened. But it will be the chatter leading up to the November election. 2020, is gonna be a long year.

semoochie
    Participant

I just saw a poll for wanting witnesses and the tally was 84% for democrats and 69% for both republicans and independents! That’s pretty overwhelming support to just ignore!

Andrew
    Participant

Unless more than just Democrats would be outraged if there are no witnesses or documents, McConnell can safely ignore public opinion polls. After the Sandy Hook massacre in 2012, something like 90% of the public supported more gun control. It went nowhere in Congress.

Andrew
    Participant

I think Adam Schiff did an amazing job during the House presentations – if anyone could change a mind, he could have, but I doubt any Republicans will vote differently anyway. This is all about 2020 positioning now.

Chris, I highly recommend watching Adam Schiff’s closing remarks from Thursday night:

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Andrew – I actually follow Schiff on Twitter. And yes, his closing statement, for me, could have turned the Titanic around.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Bolton alleges in his book that drumpf tied Ukraine aid to the Biden investigations.

The New York Times learned about the contents of the Bolton manuscript before the White House press shop, per a source with direct knowledge.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/26/us/politics/trump-bolton-book-ukraine.html
    I have doubts that this will make a difference, but it might. We’ll know later today.

civil_discourse
    Spectator

Schiff at his best:

It reads like a classic organized crime shakedown. Shorn of its rambling character and in not so many words, this is the essence of what the president communicates. We’ve been very good to your country, very good. No other country has done as much as we have. But you know what? I don’t see much reciprocity here. I hear what you want. I have a favor I want from you though. And I’m going to say this only seven times so you better listen good. I want you to make up dirt on my political opponent, understand. Lots of it. On this and on that. I’m going to put you in touch with people, not just any people, I am going to put you in touch with the attorney general of the United States, my Attorney General Bill Barr. He’s got the whole weight of the American law enforcement behind him. And I’m going to put you in touch with Rudy. You’re going to love him. Trust me. You know what I’m asking. And so I’m only going to say this a few more times. In a few more ways. And by the way, don’t call me again. I’ll call you when you’ve done what I asked.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.