Securing the Trump Tower to cost millions and millions

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Securing the Trump Tower to cost millions and millions

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Brown 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

skeptical
    Participant

Secret Service is finding it costly to secure Trump Tower. If Trump wants to stay in his tower on weekends, he should pay for it. Not “Mexico” (that’s us taxpayers).

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

I have no problem offering critique where warranted, and unfortunately President elect Trump is already making a number of decisions that merit highlighting and challenge, but with respect that may not be a fair jab.

The U.S. Secret Service went through similar (and also costly) headaches attempting to secure then President elect Obama’s private residence in Chicago in the aftermath of the 2008 election.

Until the PE actually takes the Oath of Office and then moves into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue there’s no great (or inexpensive) options for ensuring their security.

While I personally find Trump Tower a gaudy monstrosity, and no doubt its location presents innumerable security concerns which are likely both complicated and highly costly to overcome, that is PE Trump’s primary residence.

He has every right to be there and The Treasury Department has a responsibly to ensure its security.

skeptical
    Participant

If he’s there every weekend as president that’s gonna be one hell of a traffic snarl in Manhattan and a temp flight restriction for air traffic each time. But then 88 percent of Manhattanites supposedly voted for Hillary said one “source” so maybe that’s his revenge.

jr_tech
    Participant

Can he build a helicopter pad on top of the tower? Might save money in the long run.

paulwalker
    Participant

Skep…a traffic snarl in Manhattan? Oh no!

Vitalogy
    Participant

If I was a regular dude living in that hellhole, I’d be pretty worried. Target number one for a plane to crash in to.

skeptical
    Participant

Believe it or not the Trump Tower is not a prominent landmark in that neighborhood. In fact the word here is tiny. :). I don’t know if the top of the TT can support the weight of the Presidential helicopters.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Rooftop helipads were banned in New York City after 9/11. Only the three helipads; Wall St, East 30st and West 30st are open today. All of these are on the water.

Adding a new helipad to the drumpf tower midtown may or may not be structurally feasible but managing the airspace around it like they do at The White House and The Capitol would be no easy feat. With La Guardia, Kennedy and Newark Airports all so close, it probably is a very complex task to change patterns and secure airspace that would not interfere with existing helicopter and small plane commercial traffic. Just a guess.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.