Seattle Radio Happenings

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 507 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

Delayed response to Lotus taking over the Sinclair Seattle radio properties, KPLZ fm, KOMO am KVI am…Lotus is known as a Spanish language outfit. My assumption would be one of those signals will go spanish, my best bet would be KVI. But who knows they may come in with a bang and switch KPLZ.

W7PAT
    Participant

Will KOMO Radio or TV have to change call letters? I remember when KGW radio was sold, they had to.

Chico
    Participant

They will have to change the KOMO call letters. The sale did not include intellectual property, of which calls and slogans are considered a part, generally. There has been speculation that KVI might be spun off to another entity at closing and might be able to retain those calls, otherwise the Seattle market will be reduced down to one last 3 letter holdout, KJR. There are several “tribute” calls in the Seattle market, call outs to previous 3 letter calls- KKOL, KKXA and KKMO. Paul is correct- largely Spanish language and sports in the Lotus portfolio.

FWIW, friend of mine in the media buying world has been told the following:

KVI 570- spun off to a religious operator
    KOMO AM1000/FM97.7- Spanish language programming
    KPLZ-FM 101.5- sports

He has often been correct about theses things before, but time will tell.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I wonder if KPLZ will adopt HD? I thought it was odd, they haven’t. KOMO 97.7 is also not in HD either.

paulwalker
    Participant

Chico, if your friend is correct that would be a major and monumental change to Seattle radio. But then again, change is constant in media.

paulwalker
    Participant

I do believe KPLZ in their current form is a gonner. This saddens me because I spent five formulative years there in the late 80’s. So we shall how this all pans out. I expect major changes that may even cause changes with other owners. Fasten your seatbelts, it is going to be a bumpy ride.

boisebill
    Participant

KOMO can’t go back to their original call letters since they’re already taken. Plus there’s those changes in ownership over the years that don’t allow it for 3-letter calls.
    KJR.

chessyduck
    Participant

Intellectual rights’ issues notwithstanding, “KOMO” would make a crummy callsign for a Spanish-language radio station. ¿Cómo? Nope, Who’s on first, What’s on second… You get the picture…

Seriously, the Puget Sound lacks local ad dollars for more Spanish radio. The ones there now are having a tough time… not much ad load on KKMO or Bustos’ outlets.

BTW, a local engineer told me HD proves valuable in multipath-prone Seattle.. AM did well in that market for many years until much of the content migrated to FM..

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

If KOMO A/F were to continue with news, it would presumably be without sharing resources with the TV news department, a more expensive proposition. If all-news goes away, does anyone think Bonneville would be forward thinking enough to dump the dying conservative talk on KTTH 770 for all-news, sharing KIRO-TV resources? KTTH’s FM presence is limited to two small translators, but if they were serious, Bonneville could afford one of the signals from the peninsula. One of their translators is strategically on the east side where FM coverage could use a boost. All speculation, of course.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

In a somewhat related matter, while looking at ratings last night, I was pleasantly surprised to see how well KEXP is doing.

semoochie
    Participant

One could speculate that Sports would eventually end up on FM and that 710 could be switched to All News. That would give them the benefit of the TV news connection.

Notalent
    Participant

Both 710 and 770 AM are on 97.3 HD2 and 3 respectively. Much better signal and reach that most people aren’t aware of and not being marketed.

semoochie
    Participant

HD Radio is a non-starter. It’s actually in worse shape than analog AM! The only thing it has going for it is the ability to put its programing on FM translators. Its primary objective, as a replacement for analog FM(and AM, along for the ride), has long been superseded by streaming audio. I love it but it has no future, other than feeding translators.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“HD Radio is a non-starter.“

They said the same thing about analog FM when it first started and advertisers were reluctant to buy time on it.

Chico
    Participant

1) KIRO-FM is the top billing station in the Seattle market
    2) KIRO radio has no cross ownership relationship with KIRO TV, so sharing news product, while doable, would be much more difficult than with a co-owned operation.

So…think that operation is staying pretty much right where it is.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 507 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.