Seattle Radio Happenings

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 469 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

Phone line?

jr_tech
    Participant

As I understand it, KRAB was dxed from a location just off of Skyline Bvd. … the signal did drop out occasionally and then the reciever AGC line turned on a tape player that played a station ID. “This is K B O O , Portland”

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by jr_tech.
    russell-curry
    Participant

“even with some altitude, it’s pretty amazing reception. My aunt and uncle lived just south of Chehalis. Listening from there with a pretty good portable radio as of the early ’70s, 107.7 was barely perceptible. The signal was maybe about what KEXP is now.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

The KRAB receiver was a dual-filtered Scott in Harold Singleton’s house on Council Crest Drive, next to where Stonehenge is now. KRAB’s transmitter was at 9029 Roosevelt Way, with a height of 352 feet. KRAB would play an 11kHz tone during their station IDs, which was filtered at both station’s transmitters, and would trigger a modified Muntz 4-track player with the KBOO ID tape cartridge. During fades of KRAB’s signal, the static would trigger the tape.

russell-curry
    Participant

A few years ago while in Seattle, I took my Sangean PRD-18 to the top floor of the Columbia building, I think the 72nd. I just had time to do a quick run-thru at three of the windows. At the south-facing one, 89.3 from Olympia came in beautifully, as did 104.3, which I’m pretty sure was Centralia, not Bellingham. I didn’t pick up any Portlands. These days, it would about have to be one that was .2 MHZ from a local, but I think that radio has the selectivity to do that if the Portlander was coming in with any strength.

Chico
    Participant

The Bellingham moved to 104.1 quite some years ago now, so it was likely Centralia, Russell. There is now a 104.3 in Vancouver but it is only 9100 watts and directional so not likely you caught that one.

Before the days of widespread LPFMs and translators on every frequency, PDX 101.1 and 101.9 made quite regular showings even in my turf north of Seattle. Especially during summertime ducting conditions. If you have a selective tuner, both 92.3 and 97.1 will come in as well, but both of those frequencies are one notch from a local class C so that is a tough get in day to day listening.

semoochie
    Participant

Without doing any research, I’m going to guess that the Bellingham station moved to 104.1 before the Centralia station went on the air.

semoochie
    Participant

The FCC just threw out the duplication rule. They had intended to do so, as an AM improvement but 36 hours before the final vote, decided to include FM! This means that Seattle FMs could simulcast on stations with towers in the Olympic Mountains! For example, KOMO could add a second simulcast on an actual Seattle FM and retain KOMO-FM!

Andy Brown
    Participant

The last gasps of a dying medium.

chessyduck
    Participant

Covered heavily in the trade press , the Ocean Station Trust II (I-Heart Media divesture properties) recently unloaded KTDD Eatonville Washington (104.9 MHz, 17kw ERP, 124M HAAT) for $320,000. The buyer was Oregon-based 247 Media Ministries who also owns KURT in Prineville. KTDD was originally a Class A but upgraded to a class C3 with a heavy null (-10db) towards Olympia. Tacoma, Fife and surrounding areas do fall inside the 60dBu contour. The 70dB area is mostly pastureland however.

Ocean Trust had to show the Courts progress with their merger/divesture effort so the Workship 247 folks got a good deal – a station even has HD facilities.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I used to listen to KRAB on the Oregon Coast. 107.7 always comes in well as most of the main Seattle stations. Some in HD, especially KJR 95.7. The Cougar Mt TX sites are always better than Tiger Mt for some reason. I even got a QSL out of KRAB about the time they were sold. They had planned to return to the air, but it never happened I guess.

Chico
    Participant

Hey MX-

KRAB did return to the air, sort of…
    The Jackstraw Foundation, which administers the funds generated by the sale of 107.7, tried and failed to take over class C1 89.5 Seattle from the Seattle school district. Licking their wounds from that debacle, they ended up starting Class A KSER Everett, and later added Class A KXIR Freeland (on Whidbey Island.) They never really recaptured the spirit of Milam or the original KRAB- I am sure KBOO is a much more robust example of current-day KRABiness. They have settled in to a rather milquetoast existence as a community station serving a fairly industrial suburban county. Democracy Now! is about as radical as they get in programming.

chessyduck
    Participant

Radio World published an article about KARR’s mew cell-towe-baeed antenna. KARR is on 1460 kHz with 740 watts daytime and 19 watts night from Kirkland… but at least they”re on the air.

https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/headlines/co-locating-an-am-with-a-cellular-tower

chessyduck
    Participant

Worship247 has been announcing they’ll be programming KTDD Eatonville starting 4 November. The Wilsonville group, under a different property arrangement, also owns KURT 93.7 in Prineville. No word on what will happen to KTDD’s multiple HD signals

Screamer
    Participant

How many religious stations does the Bend market have now?

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 469 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.