Seattle Radio Happenings

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 455 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Notalent is correct. The reason or basis of all this is first adjacent channel interference to KLVP Aloha on the lower sideband side where they have requested additional power from the default authorization of -14 dBc up to -10dBc. I don’t know where the -14dBc allowable is derived from (where in the rules, that is). To make it even more complicated, their signal northward would have to respect Canadian airspace. I have NFC what that entails for digital but we can assume that since it was OK in the analog domain, the digital hybrid signal is OK as well, and the additional power in the lower sideband still propagates no further than the analog signal.

Here is the first letter in the series of STAs which includes the report by Erik Swanson of Hatfield and Dawson and has the best explanation of the reason for the STA.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=57598

Here is the page you need to see the sequence of STAs and all the letters written:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/corrp_list.pl?Facility_id=11755

Here is the most recent letter from the FCC:

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=94338

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you, that clears it up nicely! I’m sorry you went to all that trouble.

paulwalker
    Participant

Seattle KJR legend Charlie Brown has passed away at 74. He did mornings at KJR starting in ’74, then moved KUBE-FM in the early 80’s. A really great talent who was adored by listeners.

(His death comes less than two weeks after his afternoon co-hort Gary Lockwood died).

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

“KUBE Seattle Charlie Brown & Ty Flint 1987 California Aircheck Video”

paulwalker
    Participant

And here is some rough video of pure joy…Charlie and Company on the first day of KUBE Seattle. Note the faces of Bob Case and Tom Hutyler, (longtime Seattle Mariner stadium announcer) near the end.

chessyduck
    Participant

Noted at the Reason.com website is the passing of community radio pioneer Lorenzo Milam (1933-2020), most noted in these parts as being the founder of KRAB-FM in Seattle. Without KRAB, KBOO also would have been slower to arrive.

The lengthy obit is found at https://reason.com/2020/07/23/the-death-of-a-radio-pioneer/

Radio geeks are most likely familiar with his book “Sex and Broadcasting”, the pre-LPFM guide to starting a community radio station.

dialtwirler
    Participant

KRAB had some of the most bizarre programs ever heard on radio. I didn’t appreciate the station much when I was a teenager living in the Seattle area. I almost always tuned past KRAB as quickly as possible on the way to KOL-FM 94.1 or KISW 99.9 and their rock formats.

johnf
    Participant

Not only was the programming VERY strange, the home of KRAB itself was also. I grew up in the Maple Leaf area in north Seattle, and KRAB at that time was housed in what the station itself described as a “dingy studio” that I understand had at one time been a donut shop. It was a very small, ugly-looking box-shaped structure at the peak of the hill on North Roosevelt Way. Surrounding it was a wooden fence on which the letters K-R-A-B had been painted in a weird manner.

And the station didn’t have a conventional transmission antenna like KISW (then a classical music station), which was located two blocks up the street. Instead, KRAB’s antenna was a funky looking thing attached to a telephone pole.

Suffice to say, the whole vibe of the place was just counterculture weird, and I considered it a plus for the neighborhood when KRAB later packed up and moved to Capitol Hill and the “dingy studio” was torn down.

Broadway
    Participant
    chessyduck
    Participant

Hard to imagine nowadays but when KBOO first launched as a 10-watt station they were pulling in an off-air signal from KRAB for filler, etc.

semoochie
    Participant

They were both part of the Jack Straw Foundation, a name that just floated into my head for the first time in over 50 years!

semoochie
    Participant

Sinclair is taking ownership of KOMO-FM. There’s something I don’t understand: They have a same channel translator in Redmond, outside of the 60dbu contour. You can’t have a booster outside of the 60dbu contour but you can’t have a translator there either, unless it’s owned by someone else, which it isn’t and still won’t be after the transfer! How is this OK?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by semoochie.
    boisebill
    Participant

It was licensed as being inside the KOMO AM 40 km radius. Just an AM translator then.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by boisebill.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by boisebill.
    semoochie
    Participant

Wow, I never considered for a second that it was a translator for the AM! I was probably thrown off by it being on the same frequency as the main FM station. Just being within the 2mv/m contour would qualify, wouldn’t it?

russell-curry
    Participant

How did KBOO get the KRAB signal? Even considering they had some elevation, anything above a DX-type signal would be pretty amazing.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 455 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.