Seattle Radio Happenings

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 462 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

“Why not”

Needs too much land, too much steel, too much engineering both in planning and maintenance which all adds up to too much money and the government would never pass it.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

The UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON Board of Regents has closed on the assignment noncommercial Triple A KEXP-F/SEATTLE to FRIENDS OF KEXP, headed by TOM MARA, in exchange for $4,001,000 worth of aggregate non-cash consideration over ten years, consisting of tags on the legal ID (such as “KEXP SEATTLE, an affiliate of the UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON,” plus $63,000 worth of underwriting announcements per year (20 weeks per year, 35 announcements per week), online display advertising (250,000 impressions pre quarter, $0.025 per impression less a 10% discount, $22,500 per year for a million impressions pew year), homepage recognition with a link ($55,800 per year), audio stream ID (like legal ID, worth $47,250 per year), and online audio pre-roll for ten years (138,888 per year, worth $15,000 per year).

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

KXOT/Tacoma-Seattle Sold

In a deal yet to appear in the FCC database, PUBLIC RADIO CAPITAL’s PRC TACOMA — I LLC is selling noncommercial News-Talk KXOT/TACOMA-SEATTLE to BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC. for $2.4 million. The station, once a simulcast of FRIENDS OF KEXP noncommercial Alternative KEXP/SEATTLE and then programmed by the UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON’s noncommercial News-Talk KUOW/SEATTLE, has been simulcasting the state public affairs cable TV network TVW’s audio. GREG GUY of PATRICK COMMUNICATIONS served as exclusive broker for the deal.

boisebill
    Participant

RADIO ONLINE reports that EMF Buys the wandering KMCQ (Q104.5)/Seattle from Queen Cities.
    http://menu.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rolmenu.exe/menu

jay_zie
    Participant

7 million seem like a good deal for this FM with a good coverage of Seattle

Andy Brown
    Participant

Better then good. For a C2 with DA, it is excellent.
    See for yourself:

http://tinyurl.com/pw9yh4u

Too bad it was assimilated by EMF.

Chico
    Participant

Agree with Andy, it was too bad that EMF assimilated it into the Borg. But the commercial broadcasters locally and elsewhere had years to grab it, and chose not to. I know that the standing price was 10MM, so 7 seems like a decent deal. That signal works very well with the rim shot sister station KLOP “Ocean Park”- if you want to hear KLove in W WA you should be able to at this point. From personal experience that signal goes very well to the north beyond the 60 contour. Quite listenable clear to just south of Bellingham. SO they add 3.5MM potential converts for 7MM? 2 bucks a throw for eternal salvation sounds like a hell of a deal. Heh.

I am not a Christian, but respect the way Christa runs their stations. Hope this doesn’t affect them too badly.

And, really, if you are trying to make new converts, you go to where the heathens are. PDX and SEA are two prime markets for new recruits, if I read my data right.

e_dawg
    Participant

I ❤️Jesus. I pray, pay, and obey. I’m subservient to the church just like the manifesto destiny did to the indeginious population hundreds years ago.

Broadway
    Participant

>>the way Christa runs their stations. Hope this doesn’t affect them too badly.
    It will and a lot. They run the more Christian CHR format on KWAO/KLOP so assuming they will run the AC Klov format on their new acquisition not unless a local “deal” has been made.

e_dawg
    Participant

Speaking of KMCQ would it be possible to raise from Class C2 to Class C1, I know KMNT 104.3 wouldn’t be an issue since there far enough to upgrade to C1.

Andy Brown
    Participant

No. They had to use a DA to get from C3 to C2 and it’s already a tight fit with a whole mess of first adjacent stations, not to mention short spaced to another first adjacent (ergo DA requested). Absolutely not possible.

http://tinyurl.com/mo6jjvt

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from Friday’s All Access:

Price For KMCQ/Seattle: $7 Million

The price for the sale by QUEEN CITIES BROADCASTING of Classic Hits KMCQ/COVINGTON, WA-SEATTLE-TACOMA to EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION, a deal announced YESTERDAY (NET NEWS 2/26) with the price undisclosed at the time, is $7 million, according to the contract filed with the FCC.

EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION is also buying Classic Country WNBR-F (THE BEAR)/BETHEL, NC from COASTAL CAROLINA RADIO, LLC for $700,000.

semoochie
    Participant

There is also a 104.3 in Vancouver, swapped with Bellingham. I assumed that KMCQ was directional just because many Seattle stations on Cougar Mountain or West Tiger Mountain are, since there’s no significant population in the null. I heard this concept explained once. It had something to do with increasing signal strength in the other directions, not dramatically like AM but some improvement. (Edit add) I see what you mean now. It looks like it flattens out slightly on the north side, to protect Vancouver.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Omni patterns on Cougar look directional, but in the case of CMQ it was required to go to C2 from C3 due to the shoehorn nature of their signal. They are high enough in HAAT to be a C1, but can’t meet the minimum power (coverage) requirements because of not just Canada, but those other stations in the list I linked.

Truth is, they don’t need to. Their coverage is great. Sadly, it won’t be doing anything of value to the large masses of folks still looking for a replacement to the “The Mountain” of old. Assimilation by EMF. So sad.

semoochie
    Participant

Thanks Andy. There are fewer directional stations up there than I thought. I was thinking it was most or all but I think I only counted about seven.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 462 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.