Seattle Radio Happenings

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 452 total)
  • Author
    Broadway
    Participant

A part from Arbitron or the individual station data kept…don’t know of any organization/web site that would have such info. Would think that Arbitron could throw the data into Access and spit out a graph real easy— 😀 …for a fee…

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

KUOW To End Programming KXOT/Tacoma June 29th

UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON noncommercial News-Talk KUOW/SEATTLE is ending its almost-six-year operation of PUBLIC RADIO CAPITAL TACOMA’s noncommercial KXOT (KUOW2)/TACOMA-SEATTLE as of JUNE 29th.

In a message to listeners on the KUOW2 website, the stations said that after six years, “the KXOT audience is small. At 0.2 percent share, it is only slightly larger than when BATES TECHNICAL COLLEGE students were programming the station 10 years ago. Research shows that most KXOT listeners are also KUOW listeners, meaning the station has attracted very few new listeners. New listeners are required to sustain the operation of KXOT.

“PSPR (the University’s PUGET SOUND PUBLIC RADIO) explored options for financing the acquisition of the KXOT license, valued around $7 million. A capital campaign feasibility study was conducted to determine whether major gifts and grants could be raised for the purchase. The study report advised against such a campaign.

“PSPR offered to renegotiate the operating agreement to achieve terms more favorable to PSPR, including extending the agreement to 2013. Unfortunately, PRC was unable to restructure its KXOT debt service without an unacceptable increase in PSPR’s capital investment.”

Notalent
    Participant

They should have put KUOW 1 on that signal since day one.

The 94.9 signal sucks in Tacoma and the south end in general anyway.

It may have been a noble programming decision in the beginning but in reality they would have been better served to have their premier service have a competitive signal in the south half of a 3.5 million person metro area.

PianoMan
    Participant

Interesting that this thread includes some discussion of changes at KMTT 103.7 last fall … I’m in the Seattle area listening now, and it’s basically turned into a classic hits station since I last heard it. Tom Petty, the Police, Pink Floyd, Steve Miller, Heart, The Cars, etc., etc., you can fill in the rest from there. Not terrible choices for that kind of music, but the adventurism that once characterized that station is completely gone. I’m not hearing anything, zilch, that’s new or unfamiliar. Portland is fortunate to still have a real adult-alternative station, even if KINK’s best years are probably behind it.

semoochie
    Participant

KPLZ 101.5 has applied to change to Class C0. I haven’t checked but believe it’s a return to Cougar Mountain. My guess is that it has something to do with the new co-channel C3 applicant in The Dalles. Perhaps, they’re going for a C2.

paulwalker
    Participant

PianoMan, yes, good points. I think the bottom-line for this product is that they need to create a mass audience to survive. Newer music just doesn’t help them get there. We are seeing a “lowest common denominater” attitude among many inventive formats of the past. This is sad, but probably the reality in today’s media fragmented world.

RobP
    Participant

>>KPLZ 101.5 has applied to change to Class C0. I haven’t checked but believe it’s a return to Cougar Mountain.<<

Nope…they’re already on Cougar. Maybe you meant West Tiger.

semoochie
    Participant

I beg your pardon, I thought they were one of the full Class Cs on West Tiger! This changes things. They’re asking to move to a new tower site but the change is only a matter of two seconds! That sounds more like a coordinates correction but it isn’t. It also involves dropping from 385 meters HAAT to 372. I can’t see why anyone would want to do this unless everyone on that tower is moving to the new one, like the situation from the Channel Six Tower to the Sylvan Tower.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

FCC, Fisher Reach Consent Decree Over KVI Contest

The FCC and FISHER BROADCASTING-SEATTLE RADIO, L.L.C. have entered a consent decree over a contest at Talk KVI-A/SEATTLE that turned out to be rigged by a former employee. FISHER will pay a “voluntary contribution” of $7,000 to the U.S. Treasury to settle the case.

The 2007 contest, which involved $1,000 prizes for listeners who called when they heard their names; the former employee allegedly had her friends register and were told when to listen, a situation the station said it only knew after the fact, when it called police.

RobP
    Participant

This from KOMO Newsradio:

KOMO Newsradio announces new hosts for AM and PM shows

SEATTLE — Exciting changes are coming to KOMO Newsradio this month.

Veteran Seattle newsman Gregg Hersholt joins The KOMO Morning News June 11th. Hersholt has been on the air in the Pacific Northwest for more than 37 years, 30 of those in Seattle. Most recently, he anchored radio news in Portland Oregon. Hersholt, who replaces Bill Yeend who retired in April, will share morning duties with KOMO anchor Manda Factor.

KOMO Newsradio Program Director Paul Duckworth also announced today that KOMO Newsradio Sports Director Tom Glasgow will move from afternoons to mornings. Hersholt, Factor and Glasgow will be joined by Money Editor Bill Rice, along with Paul Tosch broadcasting from the KOMO Air Patrol from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. Monday through Friday.

The KOMO Afternoon News will lose Glasgow, but gain another very familiar voice.

“Beginning June 18th, Tom Hutlyer will join Jane Shannon as co-host of The KOMO Afternoon News,” wrote Duckworth in an email to staffers. “Tom has done a tremendous job in morning drive since Bill Yeend’s departure and will be a valuable addition to the afternoon news. “

Not only is Hutlyer’s voice familiar to radio news and sports listeners, it’s recognizable to Seattle Mariners fans. Hutlyer serves as the public address announcer at SafeCo Field for all home Mariners games.

Hutlyer will anchor the afternoon news and provide live sports updates at :10 and :40 past the hour. The KOMO Afternoon News will continue to include Money Minutes from Editor Bill Rice as well as KOMO 4 News anchor Brad Goode, plus traffic with Paul Tosch from the KOMO Air Patrol 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

“Tom’s move to PM drive will allow Herb Weisbaum to focus on his specialty: all things consumer,” said Duckworth. “Simply put, Herb is THE consumer expert in this market. He will continue to provide consumer content for KOMO radio and TV and will begin doing a consumer show on Smart Talk 570 KVI.”

Specific details on the new consumer talk show have yet to be released publicly. Weisbaum is an Emmy award-winning reporter and one of America’s top consumer experts. His reports have been honored by the Associated Press, Columbia Journalism Review, National Consumers League and the Society of Professional Journalists.

KOMO Newsradio is Western Washington’s 24/7 News, Traffic & Weather Station. For more than 80 years, Northwest listeners have grown to depend on KOMO. Today, as part of the KOMO News Network with KOMO 4 and KOMOnews.com, the station is the go-to source for breaking news, traffic and weather.

KOMO Newsradio recently received two Regional Edward R Murrow awards for ‘Overall Excellence’ and ‘Best Newscast.’

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

FCC Sends Out EEO Letters

The FCC has sent out the second batch of EEO audit letters to random radio stations.

The letters went out on JUNE 7th to 118 stations, including some major market stations like CBS RADIO Country KMPS/SEATTLE.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

The JV Show Is Coming To KUBE

CLEAR CHANNEL Top 40/Rhythmic KUBE/SEATTLE has announced its new morning show. THE JV SHOW WITH RICO AND SELENA debuts on KUBE JULY 9th. THE JV SHOW WITH RICO AND SELENA will continue broadcasting from sister station KYLD (WILD 94.9)/SAN FRANCISCO and will feature custom content created for the SEATTLE market.

In a press release KUBE PD ERIC POWERS commented, “THE JV SHOW WITH RICO AND SELENA will be a ratings powerhouse for KUBE 93. JV, RICO and SELENA’s daily custom show for SEATTLE’s active and young adults will instantly connect with listeners.”

THE JV SHOW WITH RICO AND SELENA replaces KAREN WILD. WILD, continues in her role as APD/MD and she’ll also be doing some on air work for the station.

paulwalker
    Participant

FWIT, I don’t care for these “shared” morning shows between major markets. Yes, there is the usual “we plan to offer a ____ edition of the show so it sounds local. Always a nice way to start, but how long do these promises last? I would like to hear an example of where this type of situation has worked for atleast three years. Clear Channel loves ’em, and so do other companies, but I don’t. The smaller market, in this case Seattle, usually loses out. Seattle has been on the other end of this as well. I say build a great morning show and concentrate on your own market. This is the true religion of the radio gods.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

Radio Insight is reporting that 104.5 KMCQ has moved from Oldies to 70s/80s Classic Hits:

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/59137/104-5-kmcq-seattle-relaunches/

(I find it a bit ironic that this, my 950th post, is regarding a Seattle station that’s not KJR.)

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I heard a little of KMCQ Saturday east of Astoria. The main thing I noticed, receiving in mono, was the top end sounded muddy to non-existent, like out-of-alignment tape players.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 452 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.