Seattle Radio Happenings

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 428 replies, has 54 voices, and was last updated by  Craig_Adams 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 429 total)
  • Author

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

KVI-A Goes Oldies On Nov. 8th

FISHER COMMUNICATIONS Talk KVI-A SEATTLE will flip to Oldies on MONDAY, NOVEMBER 8th, becoming “SEATTLE’s Greatest Hits 570 KVI” — the first Music, News, Personality and Information station on SEATTLE’s AM dial.” TRAVIS BOX will stay on as PD.

The on-air staff, which will debut on JAN. 3rd, 2011, will feature SEATTLE personalities including TOM HUTYLER (KJR and KOMO) and MARINA ROCKINGER (KBSG and KOMO) in the morning; 20-year vet and former KBSG talent MARK CHRISTOPHER will do afternoons and KJR legend RIC HANSEN will do nights . SUE ROMERO (KBSG and KOMO), BILL RICE (KJR and KOMO) and ANA KELLY (KBSG, KOMO and KPLZ) will provide local news, traffic and information.

“There was a huge opening on the SEATTLE AM radio dial for an Oldies format station and the exciting addition of SEATTLE’s Greatest Hits 570 KVI is another unique way for parent company FISHER COMMUNICATIONS to serve the community,” BOX said.

FISHER RADIO/SEATTLE VP/GM JIM CLAYTON added, “We are pleased to return full-service AM Radio to SEATTLE and 570 KVI’s format change presents a huge opportunity for FISHER’s group of radio stations to enhance their overall success.”

paulwalker
    Participant

Wow! PPM scores again.

KVI was oldies from about 1984 to 1990. I worked there with the late PD Mike Webb, later with Sky Walker. Who would have thunk they would return to that format. But like I said, PPM is driving these type of changes. However, I’m not sure even PPM can rescue this situation. Good talent choice though.

peetah
    Participant

Paul, do you suppose they’ll have huge stacks of carts for each hour of music? You know…like we did?

😀

Probably not.

paulwalker
    Participant

Yeah, doubtful, peetah. To really emphasize a different era, there were assistants to help you “pull the carts” when I was there. But it worked both ways, at times I would be called to pull carts for Humble Harve (yes, THE Humble Harve from Los Angeles) who worked at KVI circa 1986. His quote to me that I will never forget: “Dude, I appreciate the carts, can you get me a coffee, two sugars and a cream?” Sure, Harve!

peetah
    Participant

I was always happy to pull Heidi May’s carts.

Wait. That didn’t sound right.

LOL

PianoMan
    Participant

😀

That appears to leave KTTH-770 as the Seattle market’s only conservative talk station, at least for the moment. Or am I overlooking something?

RobP
    Participant

Yes, KTTH is the remaining right-wing talk station.

Actually, KVI’s death spiral began six years ago when Entercom snagged Limbaugh for KTTH – it was their “$@ck you” for Fisher having outbid ETM for the Mariners rights. Shortly thereafter Paul Duckworth was blown out and inept programming since then has basically made the station a non-factor.

As for the new format – it’s not PPM driven – it’s cost cutting. Everyone but Christopher and Hansen are already on the Fisher payroll so it’s just more work for no more pay – and you can bet the new hires won’t be making a lot of coin (or will be voicetracked).

Plus Fisher doesn’t have to give away inventory to a syndicator any more.

the_radio_guy
    Participant

Where does this leave 104.5 KMCQ? They have been Seattle’s invisible Oldies station, with no ratings that I could find.

RobP
    Participant

>>Where does this leave 104.5 KMCQ? <<

Still for sale. The “oldies format” is just a placeholder. They’re not running PPM encoding, so that’s why there’s no ratings.

paulwalker
    Participant

RobP, you say it isn’t PPM driven. I have seen AM stations being helped by PPM, but will admit mostly news/talk or sports. Do you think oldies could also benefit in PPM on AM as we have seen with FM’s? Will listeners sacrifice quality to hear music they can’t get on FM?

the_radio_guy
    Participant

Could Portland see another AM Oldies station? I’m thinking it’s quite possible.

semoochie
    Participant

If this is successful, we could see the return of Super 62. It will be interesting to hear what kind of playlist and the general feel the new KVI will have. Will it sound more like the 80s’ KEX, KGW or something completely different?

the_radio_guy
    Participant

Since Clear Channel already has Oldies 106.7, I’m thinking 860 KPAM switching to Oldies would be more likely.

semoochie
    Participant

You’re right. I got carried away. We could still get 620 back as a simulcast of “Real Oldies”.

RobP
    Participant

@Paul – you’re right, PPM has helped some AM stations but it didn’t really help KIXI in Seattle – it has lower ratings than KVI. The new format might get a bump in the numbers but as noted above, that’s not what’s driving this flip.

@semoochie et. al – don’t hold your breath for the return of Super 62. That dog ain’t gonna hunt – here’s why: PDX already has an FM oldies station – Seattle doesn’t. That’s why KVI went oldies. Had there been an FM stick in the format KVI would have probably gone to some flavor of Hispanic to combo up with the Univision outlet Fisher owns in Seattle.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 429 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.