Sanders upsets Clinton in Michigan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

Unbelievable, Bernie Sanders has upsetted Hillary Clinton in Michigan. Back to the drawing board for Hillary.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Nope. The math says there’s still zero chance Bernie wins. Today’s results change nothing.

paulwalker
    Participant

Agreed, but this is a wake-up call for Hillary. The two-person race will likely give an advantage to the GOP, if small, and they certainly have their own problems as have been noted here.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

I’m not sure I understand how a two person primary on the Democratic side gives any kind of advantage to the GOP. How did you come to that conclusion? (Just curious)

As I’m sure everyone recalls, at this same point in 2008 it was a three person race on the Democratic side. Once John Edwards dropped out, it became a tightly contested primary battle between Senator Clinton and Senator Obama. The tenor of that conflict was significantly more vitriolic than anything you’re currently hearing between the Clinton and Sander’s campaigns.

Ultimately, (to make a long and complex story very short) everyone fell in line behind the nominee; including Hillary Clinton (her husband) and her entire support organization. The exact same thing will happen this time. Whatever differences of opinion and policy that exist between Hillary and Bernie, (and their attendant supporters) utterly pales in comparison to the absurd positions held by the alarming collection of lunatics The Republicans have coughed up this time around.

There’s a 0.0% chance such differences would in any way end up benefiting The Republican Party in any way.

Every election cycle the media conflates intra party conflict; primarily to help drive a television narrative for ratings and social media metrics. There’s little to no historical evidence to suggest such divisions (real or not) have any kind of effect for good or ill on a general election campaign.

Related, as The GOP is in (very real and very ugly) intra party warfare, there inevitably becomes a need among both the media and likely GOP candidate supporters to create a mirrored narrative on the opposing party.

Regardless, as Vit accurately outlined and as I have done myself more than once, Bernie is not going to be The Democratic nominee. I like him, I think he’d be a fine president, but the math is not there and hasn’t been for quite some time. Speaking only for myself, I really don’t care if Bernie or Hillary is the nominee. The actual/real/fundamental differences of policy and opinion between the two of them is in all actuality pretty narrow. Either of them is qualified for the office they seek and I’d support either. Both Secretary Clinton and Senator Sanders are intelligent and thoughtful adults. We’d all be fine.

I wouldn’t ascribe any of those adjectives to Donald Trump or Ted Cruz. The former is an ignorant con-artist, racist, bully, and clown. And the latter is just a loathsome toad. Opinions, by the way, that are shared by virtually everyone who is not a GOP primary voter.

I am literally frightened by thought of either one of them coming anywhere near the Oval Office. And so should be anyone who’s not an utter fool or so consumed with irrational partisan outrage they could in good conscience (and with a straight face) claim either would be good for The United States.

paulwalker
    Participant

I believe that a contested primary season this late into the year always benefits the other party. In this case, both parties have contested races, with both front runners obviously in the drivers seat. But as the GOP has two strong candidates with no reason to believe one of them will drop out, so do the Dems…same thing, one front runner and one who will not likely drop out. It works both ways. That is how I come to my conclusion.

Vitalogy
    Participant

All primaries are contested. It’s a good thing when the debate is about policy rather than personal attacks.

The difference between blue and red is night and day. The Dems are having a respectful, informative debate and disagreements about a small amount of differences. I like both candidates. I will vote or whomever is nominated, and I’ll be happy with casting my vote.

On the other side it’s gutter politics at it’s worst. The damage their primary is doing to the GOP brand is 100X that of the damage of the Hillary vs Bernie contest. While I’m personally ready to see Bernie get eliminated so Hillary can move forward, it’s not a bad thing for Hillary to see a challenge from the left. At the end of the day, 93% of Bernie supporters will fall in line with Hillary and the rest will vote for Nader.

Vitalogy
    Participant

And I’ll say this: All those “motivated mellenials” that support Bernie are unreliable voters on the day that counts. Hillary’s supporters will show up no matter what.

duxrule
    Participant

“All those “motivated mellenials” that support Bernie are unreliable voters on the day that counts.”

Believe this at your own peril.

edselehr
    Participant

Sorry dux, but historical trends say that Vitology is right. If you believe that Bernie has the same GOTV mojo for his base that Obama had in ’08, then you might be right. Otherwise odds are on a better turnout for the Clinton voters.

duxrule
    Participant

It’s only my opinion, but it seems to me that the MSM/Old and Decripit Political Machine is too wrapped up in the “old ways,” and is completely missing out on today’s voters. They’re using 19th/20th-century methods for measuring a 21st-century electorate, and the numbers are completely different. Michigan is a case in point.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.