Sanders Artery Clogged 2 stents All Campaign Events Canceled

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Sanders Artery Clogged 2 stents All Campaign Events Canceled

This topic contains 28 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  missing_kskd 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Andy Brown
    Participant

Bernie’s campaign took another turn for the worse. He is in the hospital recovering from the procedure.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Stents are pretty common place these days. While anything to do with the heart is serious, stents are an easy way to get blood flowing properly. My dad has had one, my friend Bill Schonely had one put in earlier this year. Both men are in their 90s.

This is bump in the road, Sanders will get his energy back. Unlike bypass surgery where it can take months, stents are a wonderful medical procedure at any age.

missing_kskd
    Participant

A good friend of mine just had to have one. Next time I saw him, the difference was notable.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The timing is awful for a presidential candidate to have any health issue. Unfortunately, this underscores the age issue and let’s fact it, presidential elections are more a popularity contest than anything else. Especially for an underdog.

Personally I think 70 years old should be the age limit for a presidential (or Senate and 76 for the House) candidate, so after two terms a president would be no more than 78. Maybe even 68 (my age) or 70 would be better. But that will never happen. Neither will term limits. Just thinking out loud.

missing_kskd
    Participant

He is fine. People age differently. The way it is now works.

If too many are not convinced, an older candidate loses. Biden, for example, is declining mentally, and it is obvious. Clinton had to be loaded into a van, like a side of beef. We had a crippled President, etc.

I oppose term limits beyond what Congress has now.

When elections are real contests, challengers can win, and that limits terms for reasons.

Limiting them more sharply than we do now denies us the benefit of good people.

Election process improvements address the same concerns term limits do and do not carry such a high opportunity cost.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The age at which U.S. Presidents have entered their first terms approximately follows a bell curve:

Wikipedia’s Presidential age distribution chart

When Ronald Reagan was sworn in on January 20, 1981, he was the oldest to date. Trump beat him by slightly under one year at his swearing in on January 20, 2017. I do not advocate an age limit, but I think that the plot linked above clearly shows that these two people are outliers.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Health issues is no respecter of age. JFK had severe back issues during his short term as president, from his days in the service.

But I do agree, for Bernie, the timing was bad. It sucks getting older, particularly if you haven’t paid attention to your body for some time. Mental health issues vary as well and not all are based on age.

I do feel bad for Bernie. He’s always shown an energy that seems endless. Hope he and others around him make sure he takes care of himself moving forward.

I’ve still not committed to any particular candidate…but I am thankful they continue to push through the muddy waters of finding someone to defeat Trump. Then again, Trump may have stepped off the cliff with his latest guffaws.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

JFK’s most severe health problem was Addison’s disease, which was a closely guarded secret.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Great catch, Jeffery…forgot about that.

paulwalker
    Participant

He is done, IMO. He was rating about 5 down in polls. This won’t change that, in fact will probably reduce his position. Just reality here…but I do admire his presence in 2016 and the upcoming 2020. But he will not be part of the process in 2020, even before of this health issue.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Hardly.

Those “polls” are largely dubious. MSM is very toxic.

Step away from that, and the picture is very different.

Not done. Even without the nomination, not done.

Movement politics in action here, not just a campaign.

paulwalker
    Participant

CNN reporting that Bernie’s doctors say he had a heart attack.

Though clumsily written, my earlier post “he’s done” was not about politics in action, it was specific to his chances to win the democratic nomination. Which were quite low even before this unfortunate event.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Bernie Bots will carry his dead body to the convention to make sure trump gets 4 more.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Why do you hate Bernie? Serious question. All welcome, no holds barred.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

MSM is very toxic.

Yes, and its successor Outlook/Exchange wasn’t much better. Back in the day I was so glad when Eudora finally came around. Smaller, faster (especially on a 2 MB, 45 MHz 486DX) and wasn’t a component of the operating system so it (usually) didn’t take your entire computer down with it when it crashed. Of course, this being the Workgroups era, that last point was a tall order and 98.720875% of the time it would anyways just like everything else.

(There, that ouhgta settle the little papal SOB.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.