Salem science teacher burns students with Tesla coil

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Salem science teacher burns students with Tesla coil

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

Earlier today, I heard a report on KPAM that Samuel Dufner was arrested for “criminal mistreatment” of students in one of his South Salem High School science classes.

Dufner had been doing a science class demonstration wherein he demonstrated the ignition of gases using sparks generated by a Tesla coil. (A Tesla coil is a device that produces long lightning-like arcs by generating high AC voltages at frequencies of a few hundred kHz.) In one class, he suggested that the arcs from the coil could also be used to create temporary tattoos on the skin and invited students to volunteer.

Dufner was later released on $2000 bail.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2015/05/06/south-salem-high-school-teacher-arrested/26955907/

kennewickman
    Participant

What an Idiot !

edselehr
    Participant

Shocking

Amus
    Participant

Edselehr,

As an educator, it’s not surprising that this story would spark your interest.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Shocking

ARF ARF ARF! 😉

If somebody had offered me a zap from a Tesla coil when I was a teenager, I would have declined, no question about it. However, most high schoolers (or people in general) have never heard of RF burns.

After thinking about this story a bit, it seems to me that the report might have been incorrect in saying that Dufner used the coil to igninte gas samples. I think that more likely, Dufner had tubes containing gas samples, and the RF energy generated by the coil caused the gases to glow, much like a neon sign. The purpose of such a demonstration would be to show that different elements have different spectral signatures that can be observed using a prism.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

UPDATE: The Marion County District Attorney’s Office has dropped charges against Dufner.

http://www.kgw.com/story/news/2015/05/06/south-salem-hs-students-skin-burned-arrest/70892714/

missing_kskd
    Participant

For what it is worth, doing this does not hurt, and it does make images or marks that heal, assuming low current and a probe and local ground to do it.

KSKD had one, and did this with a couple adventurous friends.

We found out by getting zapped, playing with the coil.

A vandergraph (sp) generator can do this too. Static discharge will lightly fry skin.

Not recommended, of course. I can’t believe a teacher would do this. Wtf?

edselehr
    Participant

Seriously though, in this day and age whenever a teacher conducts a classroom experiment or demonstration that even holds the slightest personal risk to students, it is forbidden.

In my district maybe a dozen years ago, an old-school science teacher was demonstrating microscopes and had the students gather a sample in a way she had done regularly over the years – prick their finger and look at a sample of their own blood. But, the rules for blood-borne pathogens had changed in the interim, and when a parent caught wind of what she was doing, the teacher suddenly was ready for early retirement.

When a students personal safety is at issue, the system doesn’t kid around.

Boss_Radio_1550
    Participant

Poor Guy…Just trying to teach the kids a cool science experiment. I’ve gotten worse burns adjusting grid leak bias. I never cried to my mommy.

missing_kskd
    Participant

I did the blood sample too. Was very cool.

kennewickman
    Participant

In 1966 we did our blood types in Biology . Teacher had us put an exacto type knife in the bunson burner and then we poked our fingers. Pretty simple times back then relative to worrying about blood born Pathogens.

duxrule
    Participant

Our science teacher gave us the basic recipe for homemade napalm, but that was back in the 70’s, when napalm was on everybody’s mind.

skeptical
    Participant

We had (quite heavy, by the way) bottles of Mercury we could pour in our hands and play with.

duxrule
    Participant

His formula was gasoline and Fels Naphtha laundry soap.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

We had (quite heavy, by the way) bottles of Mercury we could pour in our hands and play with.

I recall reading that mercury in its elemental form (as in those bottles, in thermometers, in silver fillings, etc) is not easily absorbed into the body and is therefore not that dangerous.

Compounds containing mercury are dangerous. For instance, methylmercury, released into the environment in industrial wastewater, is what poisoned cats and humans in Minamata, Japan in the mid 1950s.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.