Rush Limbaugh reveals advanced lung cancer diagnosis live on radio show

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Rush Limbaugh reveals advanced lung cancer diagnosis live on radio show

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Clearly, there just isn’t much of worth coming out of his mouth that warrants feeling sorry for his situation. What goes around comes around.

Rush on Blacks in America:

“You know, I’m fine with Blacks in America, somebody needs to clean out the sewers.”

Rush on the genocide of American Indians:

“Columbus saved the Indians from themselves.”

Rush on Michael J Fox having Parkinsons disease:

“He is exaggerating the effects of the disease. He’s moving all around and shaking and it’s purely an act… This is really shameless of Michael J. Fox. Either he didn’t take his medication or he’s acting.”

Rush on the NFL:

“Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.”

[To an African American female caller]:

“Take that bone out of your nose and call me back.”

Rush on feeding poor children in public school:

“If you feed them, if you feed the children, three square meals a day during the school year, how can you expect them to feed themselves in the summer? Wanton little waifs and serfs dependent on the State. Pure and simple.”

Rush on a 13 year old girl:

“Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is also a White House dog?” (Rush Limbaugh, while holding up a photograph of 13-year-old Chelsea Clinton)

Rush on feminism:

“Feminism has led women astray. I love the women’s movement — especially when walking behind it.”

Rush on LGBT:

“When a gay person turns his back on you, it is anything but an insult; it’s an invitation.”

Rush on women:

“Women still live longer than men because their lives are easier.”

Rush on women protesting sexual harassment:

“They’re out there protesting what they actually wish would happen to them sometimes.”

Rush on what criminals look like:

“Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?”.

Rush on Sandra Fluke who testified that women should have access to affordable contraceptives:

“It makes her a slut, right? It makes her a prostitute. She wants to be paid to have sex. She’s having so much sex she can’t afford the contraception. She wants you and me and the taxpayers to pay her to have sex. What does that make us? We’re the pimps. (interruption) The johns? We would be the johns?”

Vitalogy
    Participant

Classy guy!

Can the next president rescind this honor?

Andy Brown
    Participant
    paulwalker
    Participant

I get it. Angry and for good reason. But forgiveness is always the correct answer, IMO.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Answer to what? His ongoing transgressions haven’t nor will they ever cease. How can anyone offer forgiveness when the behavior continues. Nor has the buffoon shown one iota of remorse, ever. He’s not the least bit ashamed of his behavior, which by even the loosest standard of decency is egregious.

Furthermore, because he is a huge hypocrite, remorse would just be more hypocrisy. To earn forgiveness requires actions yet unseen.

paulwalker
    Participant

Perhaps my definition of forgiveness is different than yours.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Your definition, which would be your right to have, would then be outside the Judeo-Christian framework.

In Judaism The Torah has explicit instructions for forgiveness. First, it requires the wrongdoer to stop perpetrating his wrongdoing, to make a long story short.

Overlooked in common Christian understanding of forgiveness is the necessary part of repentance by the wrongdoer. This part is implied in Jesus’ command:

“If your brother sins, go and show him his fault” (Matthew 18:15).

Jesus is clearer about repentance as the necessary condition of forgiveness in Luke 17:3-4,

“If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him.”

Where is the repentance?

Forgiving without repentance is not forgiveness at all.

His behavior is not an accident. It is not because of a major mental disease, rather it’s the manifestations of a personality disorder known as narcissism.

Do you forgive Hitler for The Holocaust, too?

Andy Brown
    Participant

Limbaugh is sixty-nine and, as he just announced on his daily radio program, has been diagnosed with late-stage lung cancer. Empathy is due to anyone who is suffering. But not high honors, not a celebration of a life’s work devoted to the mockery and derision of the Other. For the President of the United States to bestow one of the nation’s highest laurels on Limbaugh is a morally corrosive and politically cynical act. It is a kind of assault on the achievements of so many previous award winners, a list that includes Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King, Jr., Václav Havel, Rosa Parks, and John Lewis. It is appalling to see Rush Limbaugh’s name listed alongside theirs.

Limbaugh is hardly an American original. He derives from a line of radio bigots like Father Coughlin, who made racism into a form of demagogic entertainment. Subsequent call-in haranguers like Joe Pyne and Bob Grant were major broadcast figures years before Limbaugh. But no one before or since has reached audiences that match the scale of Limbaugh’s. And the Bartlett’s of Limbaugh’s hateful insults is as thick as a Russian novel: in 2004, Limbaugh said the N.B.A. might be renamed the T.B.A.—“the Thug Basketball Association, and stop calling them teams. Call ’em gangs.” A few years later, he hosted the conservative political satirist Paul Shanklin, who sang “Barack, the Magic Negro” to the tune of “Puff, the Magic Dragon.” The N.F.L. “all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons,” he said. The women’s movement is something he admired “from behind.” In 1989, Limbaugh cut off unwanted callers with what he called “caller abortions”—and his engineer would set off a tape of a loud vacuum followed by a prolonged scream. The quotations are endless, outrageous, and readily available.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/in-honoring-rush-limbaugh-trump-celebrated-racial-division

Broadway
    Participant

Need to read on in Matthew 18…seventy times 7…

missing_kskd
    Participant

There is absolutely no way anyone needs to forgive the Mound of Sound Limbaugh.

If your faith warrants, or mandates that, you do you.

Mine does not.

I am perfectly happy to not go dancing on the grave, or hammering people one foot in, depending on the people. In this case, I’ve got better things to do. Basically, everything else possible.

Limbaugh made a lot of money working hate like a cheap whore works sex, and that’s an insult to the whore, who should have a legal and healthy, safe basis.

Think about it. That is what Limbaugh had. Legal, got great care despite non trivial debauchery, and he was reasonably safe. Thus, the insult, again to be clear.

That all means he diminished the lives of way too many people to ignore, and did so for profit. That’s just not cool. And that profit? It’s basis was originally the public interest, and given the large fraction of the public he shit on, that basis is dubious at best.

Now, the case can be made that he enhanced many lives too. Yeah, the haters got their hate validated, normalized and they got an escape from otherwise healthy social dynamics, which freed them to pick on others different from them because the haters feel better about themselves that way.

Part of what makes me tick is the idea of increasing the net happiness in the world. Limbaugh did not do that.

This is all really shitty. Makes radio look bad actually. Regrettable use of the medium, obvious talent aside.

And Limbaugh has insane good broadcast talent. Heck, when he maxxed out on pills, he lost his hearing and still managed to get it done. I find that as impressive as I do morbid.

Perhaps when we get Medicare For All done, others, maybe even the downtrodden he bashed on so damn much for profit, can have access to the same kinds of care he got being shitty to millions.

One can only hope.

Imma going to say the same thing I said about Robertson:

Let us hope it’s Gods plan to call him home sooner rather than later.

Limbaugh is unnecessary. And that’s his own doing. For. Years.

And damn! Robertson is still around. His plan timeline is not something that I feel good about personally. Despite all I’ve said, the heavens, purgatory, and even hell might welcome Limbaugh well before the ultra painful, stick up his ass Robertson. Good news there, but not so good for those looking for a longer timeline on all this.

But, then again, none of it is up to me, right?

By all means understand, I’m not asking for any change, or action here. Just hoping the set course is short. See how that works? Several of you didn’t last time. I figure a little extra clarity this time around can’t hurt.

Let the divine do the divine, you do you, and the rest of us do us.

Dishing out any sort of shame or guilt over people’s responses to this news is a fools game. Fact is Limbaugh just didn’t need to be that toxic to so damn many for profit, and whatever he gets is well deserved, solid.

Now, the only real question is who gained enough behind the mic, and who has degenerated to a point of filling those big shoes?

Lard Areson comes to mind… Hope not. But, could be!

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Need to read on in Matthew 18”

You read it and report back and I don’t mean copy and paste. Explain WTF you’re trying to say, otherwise STFU.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

I tried to play the compassion card and really meant it. However, after some contemplation, my conclusion has changed. Not that being compassionate shouldn’t be offered, but also that Rush would make amends with the time he has left. But I doubt he will. The Medal of Freedom he received was the game changer. Mother Teresa and Rosa Parks and all those like them who have been recognized for how they handled themselves in the midst of difficult times, in comparison to Rush’s bombastic, divisive rhetoric, is hardly a comparison. Rush does not reflect the best of who we are, it’s quite the opposite.

Jesus stood with the poor and marginalized. Rush could do some real good by offering his mansion to the poor after he’s gone. Give most of his money to the places he has torn down with his words. It won’t change how I feel about him, but at least he would have done some good, even at the end of his life.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The fiery lake of burning sulphur awaits. Rev. 21:8

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Duly noted, my Jewish friend.

civil_discourse
    Spectator

Many of those alleged quotes by Rush Limbaugh are not verifiable. Many are ancient. ALL have been taken out of context. What was posted in no way represents the Rush Limbaugh program or what Rush Limbaugh believes and espouses.

Rush Limbaugh has single handedly saved and changed the AM dial and opened up the talk show format to many others, both conservative and liberal. What an amazing broadcast talent that ought to be admired and appreciated.

He has done much in the way of charitable work. He supports the right to life from conception until natural death, as did Mother Teresa.

His greatest accomplishment and service is in exposing the liberal media and in giving a small amount of balance to an otherwise almost totally leftist media. The little guy finally had a voice.

It’s very sad that some cannot put politics aside and have compassion for a dying man. It’s even sadder to see someone extend compassion and then withdraw it so as to be accepted by his peers.

He never engaged in “racist rants” though it seems to be a leftist tactic to call ANYONE who doesn’t agree with them a “racist,” and to further call any black person who is a conservative and who does not obey white liberals, an “uncle Tom.”

I wonder how many of the Rush-haters have actually listened to his program on a regular basis.

Here’s something from a recent Rush broadcast, just to give an idea of what goes on on his program which is very typical and is not at all like the distortions seen in this thread:

RUSH: Now, what did I know that these wizards of smart in mainstream media news didn’t know? Where in his track record has Joe Biden ever won anything in any presidential contest he’s entered? I’m not trying to be mean. I don’t want anybody to misunderstand this. This is just fact-based analysis, intelligence guided by experience or vice-versa.

There is no way Joe Biden was ever going to be the nominee of the Democrat Party. It wasn’t gonna happen. Because it hasn’t happened when he’s tried before. He hasn’t done anything to erase the negatives that happened in the past. The fact that he was Obama’s vice president and Obama won’t even endorse him and Obama’s out telling other Democrat candidates that Biden doesn’t even have a connection with voters.

You know, at Obama’s office in Washington, he’s been receiving Democrat candidates. They’re coming in, they’re asking him for advice and so forth. And he’s been handing it out. But that’s another questionable thing. I mean, the people Obama endorses lose as well.

But some of these Democrat candidates are reporting that when they went in to seek advice and counsel from Obama, that Obama would say things (imitating Obama), “You know, when in 2008 when I went into Iowa, I had a deep connection with Iowa voters, but I’ve lost that connection. They don’t last forever in politics.” He said, “Let me tell you somebody who never had it, and that’s Joe Biden.”

My Unique Outlook on the Democrat Race

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.