Rush Limbaugh reveals advanced lung cancer diagnosis live on radio show

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Rush Limbaugh reveals advanced lung cancer diagnosis live on radio show

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Advanced lung cancer could be code words for stage 4 or 5 cancer. This is serious stuff. Cancer cares not of ones social status. As a radio broadcaster myself, Rush is part of the brother/sisterhood of those of us who have cracked a microphone live on the air and understand the power of the medium no matter what format of the station. I am not a Rush fan by any means, however, from the human standpoint of serious illness, I can offer compassion and well wishes as he is in for the fight of his life.

edselehr
    Participant

I agree with setting politics aside when illness and human suffering are involved. My dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 lymphoma, and treatments bought him a year, but it eventually took him. I hope Rush is able to beat this, but at minimum I hope treatment can at least slow the progression of his cancer.

paulwalker
    Participant

I do not like Rush’s opinions, but I do agree as a human being I hope he battles this well. He is indeed one of the more important political commentators of our time. Love him or hate him, everyone should wish him well.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Also not a Rush fan, but sorry to hear the news.

mwdxer1
    Participant

By the way, did Rush smoke? My mother died of Lung Cancer being a heavy smoker for years. I am glad I never picked up the habit.

paulwalker
    Participant

I understand that non-smokers can get lung cancer, but it is not the norm.

Broadway
    Participant

He smoked cigars quite often…first heard him on an LA radio station in August of 1988 just after start of syndication…knew he would be great…hope his treatment goes well…he’ll be off the air for it as of tomorrow.

johnf
    Participant

Some of you may recall that Portland’s world-famous evangelist, Luis Palau, was diagnosed in January of 2018 with Stage 4 lung cancer, and was given only a few months to live. It was especially surprising because he is not a smoker. Well, the prayers of many, many folks combined with clearly impressive medical care have resulted in his still being with us two years later. In fact, a big 85th birthday party was held for him in downtown Portland a couple of months ago. I don’t want to downplay the seriousness of Rush Limbaugh’s diagnosis, but it seems Luis’s good report offers hope that the same could take place for Rush.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

A couple of years ago a dear friend of ours was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. Never smoked, never had any bad habits you can think of, yet in 18 months, after all kinds of treatment she succumbed. Found out she had lots of health issues as young kid and her immune system was compromised.

I’m glad Luis has done well, I wish Rush the best health possible.

Vitalogy
    Participant

I recently read in a medical journal that there are isolated cases of lung cancer caused by years of spewing toxic opinions, racist rants, and sexist attacks over the public airwaves while lining one’s pockets.

I don’t have one ounce of sympathy for Rush. He’s a shitty human being.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I heard the news on KEX yesterday afternoon, and I was a bit surprised. Until about 15 years ago (when I realized that many of the women I knew were disgusted by anything related to tobacco smoke), I enjoyed a cigar every now and then. I considered them relatively safe; and this perception was based in part on the longevity of George Burns, who like Limbaugh, was an enthusiastic cigar smoker. Now I can see that health concerns over the inhalation of second or third-hand smoke might not be as exaggerated as I once believed them to be.

I will take the approach that the gentlemanly thing to do is to separate the person from the personality that he played on the air and the associated views. Some time ago, Art Bell experienced much suffering from tobacco-related health complications. I know that–much like Rush Limbaugh–not everyone found the way that he conducted his show to be responsible broadcasting. Neither of these men was forced to start smoking. Yet, I feel sorry for the human aspects of their suffering.

Likewise, I don’t like Entercom’s Charlie FM format, yet it would be trashy of me to wish cancer or other calamities on any member of the management team responsible for the programming.

missing_kskd
    Participant

I hope we can arrive at everyone having access to the quality of health care Limbaugh has and continues to enjoy.

In most comparable nations that is reality.

Lung cancer is a hard way to go.

paulwalker
    Participant

“Lung cancer is a hard way to go.”

Yes. I lost my Mother to it.

Vit: Are you really that callous of a person? I don’t believe you are.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Not callous. Just being real. Rush is a terrible human being and will get zero sympathy.

Andy Brown
    Participant

I’m with Vitalogy on this one. Limbaugh’s illness does not redeem him from all the pain he has caused others through his amplification and dissemination of false and misrepresented information. The sympathy I feel for any victim of any disease is strong. I lost my Dad to heart disease when I was 23. My Mom lived much longer but also was a cancer victim in the end. My older sister died young (51). I’m losing friends left and right and we see the huge loss of personalities from the generation I am part of. I won’t applaud but I won’t lose any sleep over Limbaugh. The orange hemorrhoid giving him a fucking medal? You’ve got to be kidding me. What the hell has happened to this country?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.