Rubbernecking the GOP convention

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

What a wreck this convention has become. Can’t turn away so it should be called the “rubbernecking” convention.

First the Melania speech, ignored by Trump till today, now the Cruz speech where he gets booed and does not endorse. What a disaster. Big wreck. HUGE!

That’s how it is for you and others who know how a convention is “supposed” to be, but Trump is not conventional. You might have said the same thing about his primary campaign, yet look where he is–the most votes of any Republican in a primary…ever.

I have a feeling viewers are not nitpicking like the liberal media and pundits, and are looking at the substance. They don’t give a hoot about his wife’s speech or boos for Ted Cruz.

I’d say his convention is the furthest thing from being a “wreck.”

Amus
    Participant

Substance and Trump in the same post.

Your posts have strong denial echos of 2012.

Amus
    Participant

OK

This is hilarious!

#CHEETOJESUS

Cheeto Jesus

paulwalker
    Participant

The “optics” of this convention are terrible. Among the worst in my memory.

Add on this Hillary ad that has been playing relentlessly during the GOP convention:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/287683-clinton-ad-our-children-are-watching-this-election

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Even Politico, not exactly renowned for being a bastion of progressive thought, has characterized the RNC as a nuclear powered dumpster fire.

The optics have been horrific. From the yelling, screaming, delegate’s roll call debacle on Monday, to the speech plagiarism circus of the past two nights, (Keeping in mind the Trump campaign spent two days claiming it didn’t occur and blaming everyone under the sun rather than taking responsibility. You know, they lied about it. Only to eventually admit that it did happen as well as the how/why.) to the almost entirely older and white crowd all whom have apparently never read Orwell or they would realize they’ve been emulating The Two Minute Hate each day this week, to Cruz implicitly snubbing Donald Trump last night and creating new political earthquakes by advising everyone to “vote their conscience” as opposed to implicitly supporting Donald Trump, (Cruz is already setting up a 2020 run) to the C- and D+ speakers, to the incredibly long list of Republicans who are not even in attendance and have basically boycotted this carnival, (including the governor of Ohio, who happens to be the governor of state that Donald Trump cannot lose this November to even have a prayer of winning the White House. Sidebar: Trump’s campaign manager spent much of Monday and Tuesday insulting said governor. There’s a sound strategy!) to Trump creating new waves of panic, bipartisan condemnation, and international fear, just in the last few hours as he threw NATO and our allies under the bus in a New York Times interview yesterday. (We know Donald loves him some Putin!)

You have to be a special kind of moron or liar to state this convention has been anything other than ridiculous.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Trump breaks some ratings records this evening.

Amus
    Participant

Probably.

Trainwrecks and dumpster fires are very compelling.

Reality TV folks!
    The dumbing down of society on display.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

The ratings will be good.

Well, that clearly addresses the innumerable issues.

Let’s just elect Hulk Hogan next. Wrestling and monster truck pulls sell out arenas.

What a colossal, pathetic, joke.

Amus
    Participant
    LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Well, that’s better than the 0.0% of the black vote he polled last week.

Amus
    Participant

I’ll bet half of those that did show up, were only there to see who would show up.

paulwalker
    Participant

Trump got through his scripted speech tonight but I don’t think it is enough to rescue this convention as being one of the worst ever from a point standpoint. A complete lack of anything positive.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

That speech was terrifying. As the rationale and honest people whom frequent this board and read my thoughts are well aware, I’ve been very reluctant to make hyperbolic comparisons of the Trump campaign to some of the darker corners of the last century, but that acceptance speech was pure Nuremburg.

It was riddled with inaccuracies, distortions, and out and out falsehoods, bereft of actionable policy specifics, and unrelentingly dark. Trump paints a picture of a nation in ruin and a world on fire that only (Trump!) is capable of fixing. Via magic, apparently. It was a full blown cult of personality speech.

There was little to nothing about the shared values of what America represents, anything remotely realistic or pragmatic about our domestic or foreign policy, much less a positive outlook for an inclusive future.

It was pure demagoguery of the worst sort.

I’ve been saying for a good long while now that Trump is not a Republican. He’s certainly not a conservative. He’s a serial lying, bigoted, thin skinned, narcissistic, ignorant, blustering bully. The list of actual Republicans, I’m talking about good and intelligent men and women whom are dedicated to our collective well-being whom I simply happen to have policy disagreements with, that are horrified by this man and have refused to have anything to do with him should give any rationale adult pause.

I generally do not donate money to political candidates for a number of reasons I won’t bother to get into here. But last night I (digitally) sent a four figure donation to the Hillary Clinton campaign.

Trump scares me. And he scares me for reasons that are grounded in reality, are factually supportable, and have largely come out of his own mouth. He scares a lot of actual Republicans, too. Many of whom will not be supporting him this Fall.

That should scare everyone.

Hillary Clinton appointing two or three more liberal justices who always vote predictably and as a block and against the will of the people and who are elected for life “scares” me and many Republicans.

Trump promises to appoint justices who conservative Republicans, who you now seem to refer to respectfully, would have appointed. Do you have good things to say about Scalia and Thomas? Or do/did they scare you too? We do have a bona fide conservative VP candidate, so if Trump goes off the rails, he could be impeached and replaced by Pence, and we would have a real Republican conservative as President. Would that make you happy and give you nights of blissful sleep?

The Republicans who don’t support Trump are simply sore losers. Rank and file Republicans will support Trump. He received more votes than any Republican ever in the primary.

I thought the speech was a little long and I disagree with his criticisms of free trade. Otherwise I think it was effective and honest. There is a sense that “elites” have taken over and don’t serve the best interests of the people. We’ve seen that in Bernie Sanders supporters, Brexit, and Trump supporters. I don’t think you get that.

I’m sure Hillary will appreciate your generosity. She likes money and lots of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.