Ronald Reagan’s Son: I’m Not Voting For Trump And Neither Would My Dad

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Ronald Reagan’s Son: I’m Not Voting For Trump And Neither Would My Dad

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Michael Reagan, conservative son of former President Ronald Reagan, tweeted Monday that he won’t vote for Donald Trump and doesn’t think his late father would have supported the presumptive GOP nominee.

Reagan said he wouldn’t vote for Trump in the California primary on Tuesday. He followed that tweet with another that said that if his father were alive today, this would likely be the first time he wouldn’t back his party’s presidential candidate. Ronald Reagan, who remains one of history’s most popular Republican politicians, was president from 1981 to 1989. He died in 2004.

Michael Reagan said Trump is the first GOP presidential candidate his father wouldn’t support.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Reagan himself couldn’t get through a Republican primary today. It’s straight up, crazy town.

skeptical
    Participant

Vitalogy
    Participant

I’ve never thought much of Michael Reagan. Given he’s adopted, I would expect him to be a lot less of an asshole as an adult than he actually is. I’d much rather hear about Ron Reagan’s opinions.

paulwalker
    Participant

I hear you on that, Vit. However, even as an adopted son, he certainly can be considered an insider to the family. And I agree with him here.

As for Ron Jr, I’m not sure he has endorsed any democrat, but my best guess he would be for Bernie.

This is almost a year old, but might offer some insight, plus I really like the photo. (EDIT: Though it may have been photoshopped!)

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/09/reagan-sons-interview-donald-trump-213149

Vitalogy
    Participant

I’m not dissing the fact he was adopted, in fact, I applaud the fact they adopted a baby, but I believe that there are biological traits passed on that affect one’s politics.

duxrule
    Participant

Here’s your cautionary tale for supporters of The Donald. His message doesn’t translate into actual votes:

Renee Ellmers: Congresswoman Backed By Donald Trump Loses North Carolina Primary

Ellmers, R-N.C., was the only member of Congress to be endorsed by Trump. She became the first Republican incumbent to lose a primary this year after being defeated by George Holding.

If a sitting Representative loses a primary after getting Trump’s backing, what does that tell us going into November? Radiodork and UFUB will need to change their Depends.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

deleted

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

I can’t believe I’m about to defend Trump, but I’m about to defend Trump. At least a bit.

His endorsement likely had little to do for good or ill with Ellmer’s losing her primary. In all actuality, she would have been a better and far more effective representative of the people than her opponents. I think Donald actually backed the right horse.

I’ll leave it to others to look all of the following up if they’d like confirmation, I don’t have time at the moment to get into all of the specifics, but in short she lost because she dared to seek out compromise. You know, she was actually attempting to get things done and was reluctant to embark upon Quixotic and assuredly doomed legislative actions that did nothing but waste time and taxpayer’s money. So, despite being a full blown, right wing, conservative Republican…she was not conservative enough! Off with her head!

That’s more or less it.

I suppose one could argue that the endorsement from the party’s presidential nominee should have bolstered her support, but considering who Donald Trump is I’m not confident what he though one way or the other would have had any bearing at all on the outcome of this local race. The cake was baked.

duxrule
    Participant
    LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Oh, don’t get me wrong, she’s a nut. But she wasn’t nutty enough, apparently.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.