Rolling Stones 50

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

Before we leave 2015, perhaps it should be noted that the first US #1 album, and single for the Stones occurred 50 years ago. Quite remarkable for a band to have such a sustained importance.

Favorite songs? Post here.

For me, I have a few…chronologically, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Mother’s Little Helper, Let’s Spend The Night Together, and Tumbling Dice. I also liked “Angie” quite a bit, but was a bit too long for my taste. No harm, no foul.

I had the chance to sit up close to see them at the Kingdome in late ’94, (Voodoo Lounge tour) and was able to bring my younger brother into the show thanks to my record company friends. We kind of thought it was the last chance to see the band, and that was now 21 years ago!

Share your memories…

(Dan…not sure where to place this, radio or politics…)

Dxer1969
    Participant

Ah! A music topic! Can remember when a new Stones album was kind of a big deal! 50 years at least! Think maybe 52. Me? I liked The last time, Paint it black. Jumping Jack flash, Honky tonk woman, Angie, Start Me Up, 1 hit to the body, Mixed Emotions, and Love is Strong. Voodoo Lounge was actually pretty good. Glad ya got to see them! I saw the 94 tour on a TV special. And they still had it! Very good concert!

boisebill
    Participant

Perfect timing for me!
    I was 11 and getting tired of the other 60’s crap music.

radiodork
    Spectator

Love the Rolling Stones! And I thought I was the only one that thought “Voodoo lounge”was an excellent album. My favorite vinyl albums to play are Rolling Stones. My favorite album from them is “sticky fingers” a must have if you have a vinyl collection. Best song? Hmmmm that’s a tough one. The purists say “Tatoo you” was the last great stones album. Thoughts?

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Can’t You Hear Me Knocking,” all 7+ minutes of it has got to be one of the best studio recordings they have ever done. With Bobby Keys on sax, Billy Preston on organ and Nicky Hopkins on piano (among some additional percussionists), there are few studio tracks from the Stones that are as good IMO.

Since so much time has passed, I have found that because The Rolling Stones had many and frequent popular singles from that era, many “fans” survived on that and did not buy the “Sticky Fingers” album and missed many great songs as a result. There really is not a weak or bad cut on the album “Sticky Fingers” but it stands out because of all the genres of music they cover (rock, blues, country, ballad). As a prog jock in the 70’s I played 7 of the 10 tracks with regularity, especially CYHMK, “Wild Horses,” “Dead Flowers” and “Moonlight Mile.”

Dxer1969
    Participant

Stones Albums! Geez, why didn’t I think of that!
    Well, here goes. Excluding all greatest hits albums.
    Didn’t get into albums or the Stones until 1971. Was 12 years old then. Sticky Fingers was the first Stones LP I bought. Probably the most played Stones album overall.
    Exile, I didn’t buy til 75. Liked that one a bunch. Usually listened to that one in the car. (Cassette tape)
    Next LP was Some Girls in 78. I actually played that 2nd most. 3rd one I liked best was Tattoo You. Have Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, & Voodoo Lounge on CD. Out of those, Voodoo was the most enjoyable listening experience for me overall. Now, I have all of their Lp’s they released from 1968 to 1994.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Dunno. So I will just spill it. The 76 single, Fool To Cry & the 80 single, Emotional Rescue? Mick changed his voice all up. Didn’t like it much. Put off buying those albums until much later cuz of that reason.

skeptical
    Participant

Brown Sugar. Great riff and one heck of a get up and dance track. Jagger says he could not have written these lyrics today.

Best when played back to back with Island Girl.

/derail

Dxer1969
    Participant

Very good! Like how you come up with stuff like that! But yes, Brown Sugar was an ultimate summer song. 1971. Bought my 1st Stones album cuz of that song!

Island Girl? Fall of 75. Guilty pleasure through and through!

radiodork
    Spectator

All this talk of Rolling Stones made me run out to Music millennium and I purchased “let it bleed” by the stones on vinyl. Not as good as “sticky fingers” but still an awesome album. I prefer to listen to the stones on vinyl. I’m cranking the stones right now.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Even I overlooked an album that, well, most people dismissed. What album is that? Undercover of the Night. 1983. Now, this album was different alright. No high blusey ass vocals on this one. It had the title cut as the single. And a politically charged cut at that! It had great guitar parts. Mick was in fine vocals. But somehow, even by me, this album was overlooked. Why I wonder? Album was on the aggressive side. Could be that the overall album was “darker” But so what! The Stones made dark music to some extent. So the question is? Why was this album overlooked by so many?

Dxer1969
    Participant

@ Radio D. Never made it to Music M yet. It seems that you and I are doing much the same tonight. Exploring Stones tracks for the first time in: For me, decades.
    Since this topic was brought up by Paul, I got to thinking, Hell, the Stones were not that bad at all! Liked them! So why not take a lazy SAT and just check them out all over again.Am enjoying it. Got to hear tunes I haven’t heard in years/decades. Or not at all. Fun!

radiodork
    Spectator

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were probably getting clean while making that album which is why it is terrible. In my opinion,when bands come off hardcore drugs, their music usually starts to suffer. Aerosmith is a good example. When Steven Tyler got clean, Aerosmith started to release crappy albums.

And yes Dxer-I love the stones too. I think we should meet up at a local pub and throw a few back, while discussing music. What do ya say? Heck, we can even meet up at music millennium. I’ve got a vinyl addiction and it’s getting bad. I usually hit up music millennium a couple times a week, and usually come out with 50 bucks worth of music at a time.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Sounds good to me. I live in your area West Camas by Exit 12 by the Shell. 192nd has this cool Mexican place. Between Walmart and Hwy 14. Does that work? You name time.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Drugs? That always did make great rock music! Now, in the case of Aerosmith, I understand. Although, Permanent Vaca was a come back for them, It sounded, Uh, Well, Ahem, Sanitized or something. Not the gritty sleazy Aerosmith of old. That is for damn sure. Comments?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.