Roe v Wade is toast

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

My concern is the way they want to manipulate the votes in these conservative states. They can tip the scale enough in their favor to always stay in power.

Andrew
    Participant

We are more polarized now for various reasons. One reason I believe is that we no longer have a unified national purpose. E.g. the country united during World War II and then during the Cold War. If we disagreed on other things, at least we could all unite against the threat from the Soviet Union nuking us in a war.

Once the Cold War ended, we’ve rarely had a unifying national purpose. That happened briefly after 9/11 but not for long.

Ironically, another war after an attack on America would probably be “good” for national unity even if it would be bad in so many other ways…

Andy Brown
    Participant

What’s finally going to bring the drumpf bandwagon to a standstill is financial judgements against him coupled with the fact that the banks have already thrown him under the bus. I don’t like making predictions but it is becoming more and more likely that drumpf won’t be running in 2024. Today’s depositions at drumpf tower have allowed in some video evidence that’s quite damning.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/18/politics/donald-trump-deposition-2015-case/index.html

Let the filibuster carve outs begin.

mwdxer1
    Participant

That reminds we of a movie I saw years ago called “Meteor” where both the Soviet Union as well as the US came together to destroy the Meteor coming towards earth. If the whole World was threatened then we would all have that common cause needed to bring us together. The same would be the GOP & DEMs. We do not have that cause now. Climate Change should be doing that as the whole world is affected, but many don’t see the emergency as yet. By the time we all do, it will be too late to reverse the situation.

Andrew
    Participant

It’s already far too late to reverse climate change, I fear. Yes, it’s a shame that issue has been politicized. But the fossil fuel industry has had much too much to lose in the short term, so they have made sure to buy the right politicians to maintain the status quo.

The fact that America did not unite against Covid is telling, though. Maybe we are beyond the point of being able to unite against anything now.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

I lay the fact that America did not unite against Covid right at Trump’s doorstep. There was no other reason for it to happen the way it did (and is still happening).

It’s hard to guess what will happen with the mid-terms, and with 2024. There is so much crap going on, it’s impossible for anyone to figure it out.

All I have figured out so far for 2024 is that I won’t vote for Trump, Biden, or Harris. That probably means I’ll have to write in Clint Eastwood.

lastday
    Participant

For Americans to unite on anything it has to be a cataclysmic immediate event. 9/11 for example. Any crisis that unfolds slowly or without total clarity from the start is manipulated into a dividing issue, not a uniter.

Andrew
    Participant

I have no doubt that Trump made things much worse with Covid than they might have been. But I suspect even under a president Hillary Clinton the country would not have united against Covid. The seeds of division had already been planted and growing before Trump even ran for president – the whole “Tea Party / Sarah Palin” contingent was virulent by then.

paulwalker
    Participant

Agreed. The division can’t be blamed entirely on Trump. Though he definitely aggravated it.

Biden seems weaK. There I said it.

While I think we are in a better direction overall, I don’t think Biden is the answer. Hopefully, some other democratic candidate will emerge to continue a democratic approach to governing.

Andrew
    Participant

Biden is doing fine. Sure, he’s made mistakes – all presidents do. He’s not an inspiring speaker. He’s not that kind of president. He’s more like Eisenhower than JFK.

With such incredibly slim margins in Congress, getting any legislation passed is incredibly hard. I’ve always felt since January that getting the Senate majority was a gift that gave us the American Rescue Plan and judges; anything else is gravy.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.