Roe v Wade is toast

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

That’s right. Roe v Wade will be toast by June if it’s not done sooner. We will have states where you can and can’t get a legal abortion. Similar to legal weed.

Just another example of how much better a job Republicans do when it come to judges. They slam there nominees through, Dems waffle and don’t seem to give a shit.

On the bright side, once they finally reverse Roe it will result in a backlash that will hurt conservatives because making abortion illegal is fairly unpopular.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yep, good states and bad states…Thank goodness we live in the NW.

Andy Brown
    Participant

I don’t think it’s going to happen that way. Not ready to predict how it will play out, either.

I do know that each and every day, the filibuster being significantly weakened becomes more and more likely. They might just carve out some more holes in it sooner than later. Once there are so many holes in it that it’s nothing more than Swiss cheese it will be easy to totally eliminate it.

13 SCOTUS Judges is still a long shot but less so if it plays out like you suggest.

Andrew
    Participant

I’m surprised Roe has lasted this long – it has seemed for a long time that it was doomed. Conservatives have had the strategy of banning it through the federal courts for a long time, but it’s taken them a lot longer to succeed than expected. They hoped Reagan’s Supreme Court appointees would do it, but only Scalia met their expectations.

But once again: elections have consequences. Democrats lost nine Senate seats in the disastrous 2014 Congressional elections. Clinton barely losing to Trump in 2016 cost them at least two Supreme Court seats. Only people who don’t understand how important the courts are should be surprised at all.

mwdxer1
    Participant

When I read on a poll the other day that 52% of the GOP and 41% of the Dem want break up this country, I feel we are in real trouble. The country has not been this divided since before the Civil War. Roe vs Wade is only one of our many issues… Even with our issues, I am glad we live in the NW.

Andrew
    Participant

Could be we will wind up splitting up into three separate countries: OR, WA, CA into one, the NE US into another, and the rest of the country into the other. The first two would take most of the GDP of the US with them.

paulwalker
    Participant

Pure fantasy.

Vitalogy
    Participant

And most ports. Red states are the most subsidized states and would lose big. They better hope they don’t get dumped.

semoochie
    Participant

If we can survive the next 20 years, the Republican Party will just be a footnote in history. By continuing to attack the very people they should be courting, they have burnt their bridges and when non-Hispanic whites are no longer the majority, it will all be over for them!

Andrew
    Participant

semoochie, no one knows what’s going to happen in 20 years. In 2020, Trump picked up Hispanic votes in surprising places e.g. in Florida and Texas. I don’t think it’s a given at all that all or even most non-white votes will automatically go to the Democrats.

semoochie
    Participant

I don’t either but I also don’t think that a political party can gain any headway by attacking the majority! The largest political group is independents. It’s likely that some conservative leaning independents will form another party that isn’t based on autocracy!

lastday
    Participant

I probably missed some really shrewd Trumpian nuance (he is after all a very stable genius), but didn’t he just instruct his followers *not* to vote for GOP candidates in the next election? How does that work for Trump and the GOP?

paulwalker
    Participant

Both parties have some problems going into 2022. The dems can’t win with a moderate vs progressive argument. Likewise, the pro Trump vs moderate gop can’t win either. So whoever can solidify their message will win. Of course we are still a ways out with plenty of time to get their messaging act together. So far a cluster f—-k.

Andrew
    Participant

Historically, the party in control of everything that won the last presidential election tends to lose seats in the next congressional election. But there have been exceptions in recent memory. One was the 2002 mid-terms, where Republicans actually picked up seats in both the House and the Senate.

I’m starting to think that 2022 may be more like 2002 than 2010. Why? Because in 2008, the Democrats made big gains in both houses of Congress – the pendulum had further to swing back, Democrats had more to lose. In 2020, Democrats actually lost ten House seats instead of gaining anything as was predicted.

In fact, it’s kind of eerie how similar the governing balance of power is now vs. 2001. When Bush took office in 2001, Republicans had 50 Senate seats and a very slight majority of only three seats in the House, after losing House seats in the 2000 election – sound familiar? (Republicans lost their 50+1 Senate majority once Vermont Sen. Jeffords got pissed off and quit the Republican party in mid-2001.)

Obviously 2001-2002 was an unusual time due to 9/11 -but still, parallels are there.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I would not rule out anything in this day. Who would think the U.S. would become this divided? If someone would have asked me 20 years ago, I would never have believed it. Even with our differences we used to come together. Now, it seems every person for themselves.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.