RNC Chief Reince Priebus named Donald Trump’s chief of staff

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things RNC Chief Reince Priebus named Donald Trump’s chief of staff

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Priebus is Trump’s first cabinet-level appointment.

The GOP boss had been frequently mentioned as the top candidate to be Trump’s chief of staff, along with Trump campaign chief Stephen Bannon, who had previously worked as the executive chairman of Breitbart News.

The appointment of Priebus — a party boss and consummate insider — stands in marked contrast to Trump’s vow to fill his cabinet with “outsiders.”

I’m not a politician, but as a degreed engineer I can tell you that you don’t “drain the swamp” by putting one of the swamp rats in charge. Having said that, I am actually pleased that he didn’t make a worse choice like Bannon.

Langston
    Participant

I believe the Orange Hairball will fake it as a president, just like W. The machine of power will reside with those who know how to wield it. In W’s case it was Cheney. Trump? Who knows?

He’ll probably fake it as much as everyone said he was faking running in the primary and then in the general election.

After crushing Republican opponents, the Clinton Machine, and the Liberal Media, I think we ought to take the guy seriously.

Andy Brown
    Participant

pro re nata

paulwalker
    Participant

I am old enough to remember Ronald Reagan being elected in 1980. I was 20 at the time, and leaned Republican then. However, I remember being scared about this. For those of my age and older you probably remember we thought he was just a Hollywood has-been who didn’t have the skill or intellect to run the US, who was still deep into the cold war. It scared a lot of us, and the parallels are there today.

However, (and this is a big however), Reagan did have elective experience and had been involved in politics on the national level throughout the 70’s. And as it turned out, despite shortcomings on some important issues, his Presidency is generally considered successful by historians today.

I wish I could come to the same conclusion with Trump, but I can’t. The main point here is we have been down this route before. But he must show me he can overcome the early perceptions and become a President that will also be successful. The jury is still out, and will be for awhile.

Langston
    Participant

While DT won the campaign, I do not think that Wikileaks, Russian hackers and the FBI are going to be able to help him govern.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.