RIP Trailblazer Jerome Kersey

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Chris_Taylor
    Participant

This just took the wind out of my sails. Only 52.

Brianl
    Participant

What?!? No! Wow!

Vitalogy
    Participant

Super bummed to hear this news. Jerome Kersey was not only a great Blazer, but he was a great Blazer Alumni. He loved Portland and the Blazers as much as any former player.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Oh no…. I second the anove. Good guy, player, and ambassador to the sport and PDX.

skeptical
    Participant

WTF? 🙁

He was at the auto show last week, wasn’t he?

Andy Brown
    Participant

R.I.P. Jerome.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Kersey underwent a knee surgery earlier this week and Wednesday reportedly told fellow Trail Blazer employees at the team’s Rose Quarter office that he wasn’t feeling well and was going to go home. One source told csnnw.com that he collapsed on the way to his car but it’s also being reported he was taken by ambulance from his Lake Oswego home to a local hospital. Cause of death is unknown at the time this is written.

http://www.csnnw.com/blazers/ex-blazer-jerome-kersey-dead-52

Brianl
    Participant

I woke up this morning, still stunned.

I had the chance to work with Jerome and his wife, when I ran the old Schmizza in Gresham. We had a “Share The Dough” program, which was a fundraising effort with local groups and charities, where for the day they picked, for every flyer they brought in, they got a percentage of sales for the day.

Jerome’s wife coached a youth volleyball team, which one of his daughters was on. A couple times, they had Share The Dough day at my store. Jerome was there with the group, heck he was the first one to get there and the last one to leave. He was in his element – mingling with not only the team and a pack of girls that idolized and revered him, but with other guests – hell, he came back and insisted on helping us make pizzas, bus tables, whatever he could do to help. There wasn’t a disingenuous bone in that man’s body. I LOVED those days, and will forever cherish them.

R.I.P, #25.

duxrule
    Participant

It’s definitely a sad, sad day in Rip City. Kersey wasn’t just one of the great Cinderella stories in the NBA, he was also one of the great people around this town. As the Schonz says, “He will be missed.” ;-(

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

Wow! Such tenacity and a great ambassador for Portland. Deep condolences.

Listener_Pete
    Participant

What a tragic loss, they are saying it was a blood clot that killed him. 🙁 Anyone catch Terry Porter Crying his eyes out?

johnlaw
    Participant

Had the opportunity to meet Jerome a couple of times over the years…always had a smile on his face. Left us much too soon.

outsider
    Participant

I heard it was a pulmonary embolism, a blood clot. Same thing that ended my wife’s life.

How I hate those words.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

I’m glad this discussion is turning into an understanding of blood clots. Something I have personally dealt with.

Just over 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). Thankfully, the clots did not get into my lungs or heart. I was lucky, for sure.

I have thick blood. Actually, more accurately, I have sticky blood platelets. I was put on coumadin at the time. Coumadin does not dissolve clots. Your own liver does that slowly over time. I’ve heard 3-6 months, depending on the person.

I hated coumadin for some of its side affects. For me it was was feeling cold all the time. Other side affects that are more common are, bruising for no reason, or bleeding from your nose or even eyes. Thankfully, I had neither.

I was playing basketball 2-3 times a week back in those days, working out 3-4 times a week. My doctors and I think I may have banged my knee playing basketball against another player creating trauma that eventually led to the clot.

Long story short, I got off coumadin after about a year and half as I transitioned, with the help of my naturopathic doctor, using the supplement enzyme, nattokinase.

This supplement, actually, over a short period of time, dissolved the clot in my deep vein. I continue to take nattokinase for maintenance, along with a plethora of natural blood thinning supplements that include, Fish Oil, garlic, gingko and ecotrin.

As you can see, blood clots are serious. And my condition was very serious at the time. I stopped all physical activity to allow the coumandin to stabilize my system. That was about 5-6 weeks.

It was also found during my initial ultrasound, an earlier clot in my other leg. The cause, we suspect, was either the basketball injury I had in college or the subsequent surgery. Thankfully, in this case, the clot had calcified and is no threat of breaking away. The nattokinase, is probably helping as well.

This was quite a scare back then, but with the combination of traditional medicine diagnosing my condition, in essence, saving my life, along with my naturopathic doctor, who cured me, I am living a very healthy, active life, today.

Had Kersey initially survived the clot, like current NBA player, Chris Bosh, my question for my naturopathic doctor is, “Would taking nattokinase be the wisest of protocol?”

I’m still sick about Jerome’s death. Such a quality guy.

Amus
    Participant

Outsider,

I’m so sorry.
    I can’t even imagine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.