RIP Alan Colmes

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Andrew
    Participant

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/alan-colmes-co-host-of-hannity-and-colmes-and-liberal-in-lions-den-of-fox-news-dies-at-66/2017/02/23/e95ddfae-f9d9-11e6-be05-1a3817ac21a5_story.html?utm_term=.b5ab39ad51d3

I feel bad now that I stopped listening to Alan (and all talk radio) after the election. I listened to him for many years, on a variety of Portland stations over the years. He was a talented talk show host. He managed to make his show far more than a “political talk show” – he made it very entertaining, which is probably why his show lasted so long. You could see his comedy roots in his style, and you could tell he didn’t take politics quite as seriously as other talkers seem to.

I suspected he might be sick (lymphoma) during the campaign year, when he would take unexpected absences at times where most talk hosts would be on for sure if they could (e.g. the night of a debate or something). On January 30, he wrote a note to his listeners:

“As I previously mentioned on the show last year, there would be times I would be taking off from the show to deal with a medical issue. This is why I’ve been out recently and will be out this week as well. But I will be back taking your calls as soon as I can.”

So I guess it seems he expected to beat it. Sad that he did not.

paulwalker
    Participant

I always liked him. He had to compete with Fox’s mostly conservative hosts, but he always did it with a smile. He will be missed.

Andrew
    Participant

I always marveled at his ability to take insults. Unlike other hosts, he seemed to enjoy and even laugh at them, which often made the callers even more upset.

There was really nothing else like his show on the radio, at least recently. In a way, his show reminded me of what Phil Hendrie was always kind of trying to poke fun at. Alan had a stable of regular callers who were basically characters on the show.

paulwalker
    Participant

And a bit unrelated, but whatever happened to Hendrie? I thought he was a radio genius, last I heard he was trying to move to tv sitcoms, but I don’t think that quite worked out. EDIT: Quick search shows podcasts and some voiceovers. But at his peak, his show was the best on radio, IMO.

Sorry, back to Alan…

Andrew
    Participant

Phil is off the air last I checked, still doing online stuff on his own website.

But he really peaked during his Premiere show which he ended about ten years ago or so. His shows right after 9/11 were brilliant – great snapshots of a crazy time.

Phil did an interview on Kevin Pollack’s Chat Show a few years ago:

It doesn’t make one like Phil better – he comes off as kind of full of himself. Sometimes really talented people are just like that.

Andrew
    Participant

Back to Alan: he did a funny bit with Stephen Colbert in early 2009 as he was ending his part on Hannity & Colmes. The gag was that Stephen was going to hire Alan and re-brand the show Colbert & Colmes. I think they did a whole show. You kind of have to watch to get the joke:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/za98w3/the-colbert-report-colbert-and-colmes—roland-burris-appointment

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/5hoaoz/the-colbert-report-colbert-and-colmes—colmes-gets-fired

radiodork
    Spectator

Alan Colmes, your typical looney liberal. I never liked the guy, but I would never wish death on anyone INCLUDING LIBERALS.

Andrew
    Participant

A lot of conservatives loved the guy, even if they disagreed with him on just about everything. Read some of the tributes here:

http://www.alan.com/friends-and-colleagues-remember-alan-colmes/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.