Rioting in Baltimore

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Deane Johnson
    Participant

“Get at that, fix it, and they will quit acting out.”

Missing, you’re on a bit of a high horse here. Liberals become so paralyzed by their fear there might be some sort of racism involved, they can no longer look at the problems.

In your mind, just who is at fault in Baltimore and who should fix the problem in Baltimore?

Vitalogy
    Participant

Generational poverty is at fault.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Who’s fault is that?

But, perhaps that gets off the track. What does poverty have to do with cops beating up blacks?

kennewickman
    Participant

Well Sharpton has a solution !

http://toprightnews.com/al-Sharpton-wants-to-end-local-policing-demands-nationalized-police-force/

A National Police Force? This smells of Big Bro to me, Big Time 1

Deane Johnson
    Participant

That link doesn’t work for me, but anything Sharpton proposes is no doubt worthless, as is he.

kennewickman
    Participant

I changed the link to another source…

Deane Johnson
    Participant

That is beyond stupid. I believe we have a “national police force” of sorts with the TSA. That’s one of the most abusive groups going.

Didn’t Hitler have a national police force. Wasn’t that the Gestopo?

There would be about as much chance of a “national police force” getting past Congress as there would be being able to drive a Cadillac to the moon.

paulwalker
    Participant

For the record, Baltimore City is not 93% Black, the percentage is closer to 63-65% depending upon how many are determined to be of two or more races. It is also interesting that Baltimore is very similar in population to Seattle and Portland with a city population just north of 600,000. (Source: US Census)

I hope that justice will prevail with these cops, some who are Black. However, I believe many of us are thinking the same thing, if they are acquitted, this could be problematic, much in the same way the Rodney King episode turned out in ’92.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

The point I was making Paul is that the black citizens are in control of the community, not a group of white fat good old boys as they have been characterized. In this case, if the black community as a whole wants reform, they are in a position to make it happen.

I would further make the point that the jury will undoubtedly be majority black, given the racial makeup of the community.

There’s no one else to blame in this case. No one stopping the black community from acting on issues.

I haven’t heard what race the cops in question are. You would presume that at least several of them would be black, if not more.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Nobody is saying the acting out is right or just. I’m not.

But there is a genuine civic responsibility being ignored.

Who fixes it?

Leaders and people of power in Baltimore.

And if they dont, this shit will continue.

It is that simple.

They took the position, and when they did, they own this stuff.

Black, white, who really gives a shit?

I don’t.

There has been a lot of thuggery, poverty, drug crime, drug wars and general corruption in the form of failure to take positions of authority and the state of the People seriously.

I’m not hearing too much of that.

Blame means nothing right now.

So don’t do it.

Remedy things instead, own it, and build the trust needed for the basics to work.

paulwalker
    Participant

Missing said, “Black, White, who gives a shit?”

Well, I do. Facts are important here and it provides context. Plus, I don’t like numbers being put out there that are not true.

Yes, in the big picture it should not matter. But in 2015 it still does. I pointed out that there were a number of Black cops accused in this case. I think that is important. However, this is not a racial issue, it is more of a governmental issue. But context is important in any reporting of news stories.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Yes, but getting past racial tensions means owning and addressing the problems.

Race is not a root cause.

paulwalker
    Participant

Tonight…curfew in effect, protesters being arrested, CNN reports. Also implied comments that police are frustrated and are more aggressive. This is getting uglier and uglier.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Yeah, that’s because nobody is stepping up to own the disorder.

Until we see that, this won’t go well, IMHO.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

The solution has to come from within the community, not from the outside. Until such time as the members of the community take control and start working aggressively to solve the problems, they will not go away.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.